ScummyRebel

Anyone going to Celebration? (Exclusive Sculpt)

12 minutes ago, FSD said:

How big of a bonfire will I create when I buy one at Celebration, paint it up like a statue and post the picture in the painting forums? 😂

On a serious note: can someone give me a bit more insight on this being resin?  What’s the difference from a hobbiest standpoint?

Resin is a lot more brittle and generally more fragile and tougher to work with than plastic. It is often used for limited run stuff because you can just make a simple mold from the master and cast liquid resin into it. Anybody can do this with simple easy to get a hold of supplies. You should use super glue with resin but that isn't a big deal since Legion models don't really work with plastic glue anyway.

Edited by Gorthaur25

Looks dope FFG, your sculpting department have outdone themselves

Looking forward to the new expansions

25 minutes ago, Gridloc said:

So did FFG deliberately wait till ticket sales were sold out before putting up article of exclusive model?    I mean, I had not heard of event and then was willing to maybe go to check out all the fun SW stuff.  Oh well guess not this year.

I doubt that the announcement of this sculpt would be the game changer that would make someone buy tickets to an event with hundreds of dollars of travel fees (not to mention fitting it into their work/life schedule).

It's cheaper to buy one on the inevitable secondary market

12 minutes ago, FSD said:

How big of a bonfire will I create when I buy one at Celebration, paint it up like a statue and post the picture in the painting forums? 😂

Oh man, you salt monster.... that would be hilarious. That actually sounds easier to do too over actually painting him as a mini for the game.

If I had more than one, I’d do it.

2 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

I'm going and I"m super excited to get one!  Will absolutely do a detailed unboxing as early as possible - and probably a giveaway if I'm able to get an extra one...  

But I've also gotta admit that I'd be crazy jealous if I wasn't able to go and thus couldn't get one.  

Hoping to hear my name come giveaway time ;) 

I hope a moderator will allow my comments.  I mean them as honestly as I feel them.  My feelings aren't everyone's, they are just mine.

If FFG has told me at the start that some sculpts would be unavailable if I didn't travel to Chicago or attend a conference, I may not have started into Legion at all.  It's may sound extreme, but it's just knowing myself and knowing how a company might paywall something, and how frustrated I could feel at that.  It's why I don't play MtG.

It's frustrating to be left out on something that is the base value of the game; a miniature.   It doesn't end my day, but, y'know,...I'm tired of being frustrated.  It adds up.  Star Wars as a movie product as become exclusive to a single point of view; and it feels exclusive.   

I dunno.  I'm considering if I want to feel this again with FFG.  

32 minutes ago, ToySoldierFan said:

I hope a moderator will allow my comments.  I mean them as honestly as I feel them.  My feelings aren't everyone's, they are just mine.

If FFG has told me at the start that some sculpts would be unavailable if I didn't travel to Chicago or attend a conference, I may not have started into Legion at all.  It's may sound extreme, but it's just knowing myself and knowing how a company might paywall something, and how frustrated I could feel at that.  It's why I don't play MtG.

It's frustrating to be left out on something that is the base value of the game; a miniature.   It doesn't end my day, but, y'know,...I'm tired of being frustrated.  It adds up.  Star Wars as a movie product as become exclusive to a single point of view; and it feels exclusive.   

I dunno.  I'm considering if I want to feel this again with FFG.  

You could probably just choose to not feel that way. You must really not like the gameplay or feel the rules are good enough if a single miniature is able to make you have second thoughts about getting into the game. 

God bless video games and anime for hardening me against the DEEP PERSONAL AFFRONT that is exclusive merch.

Listen, exclusive stuff is the name of the game. FFG already does this technically with other promos, this is just the first year their promos include minis. And as I started this post, this is not some kind of deep crime solely on FFG. People sell exclusive merch at conventions all the time, or  bundle weird pre-orders with certain storefronts. Or you can only buy their products in certain stores. Or some .pngs and pixels are exclusive to the Season Pass. But this is WAY less of an issue than some of those.

If you already bought a Legion core, you have nothing to gain from this exclusive. You already own the unit, the card, the original mini, the upgrades. The only thing you lose is a very pretty promotional sculpt and alt-art. You are paying to look cooler, or complaining you lack the ability to pay to look cooler - which is about as far from "cool" as you can get. It's shallow.

Their sculptors did a cool thing for a huge event for the license, and may even have been asked to do something by the licensor to have to show at the big convention which is all about star wars. It's not a personal attack. FFG didn't make the resin for this mold from your dog. It's just ******* cosmetics, ******* get over yourselves. You are whining you can't buy something you already own again. "But UnitOmega, the mini is completely different!" Yeah, but isn't this tabletop thing all about imagination anyway? You can play with bottle caps if you had to, and plenty of people do their own custom sculpts (or there are 3rd party sculpts). You can look cool all on your own without giving FFG more money. 

EDIT: the tl;dr of this is "y'all need your soul crushed by gachapon. Only then do you have my permission to cry".

Edited by UnitOmega

Poor business move FFG. Some people won’t care, however many will. It’s a dumb to actively prevent a small but global fan base from buying your product. Much of your sales are based upon customer loyalty who invest in the game and can spend a lot of money. You will make a small number of Legion players happy, you will be met with indifference from a reasonable portion and you will piss off a reasonable portion. Not a good move. 

Edited by Darkwinter

39 minutes ago, ToySoldierFan said:

ImIf FFG has told me at the start that some sculpts would be unavailable if I didn't travel to Chicago or attend a conference, I may not have started into Legion at all.  It's may sound extreme, but it's just knowing myself and knowing how a company might paywall something, and how frustrated I could feel at that.  It's why I don't play MtG.

You’re right, it does sound extreme. I don’t see why it matters that much. Ffg has done stuff like this before in the form of alt arts, and nobody was upset until they started doing alternate plastic (a prepainted  mini in xwing and this).

You could just choose not to make that big a deal about it. There isn’t a paywall to playing the game. There’s not even a paywall to have a better unit in the game. There’s literally some alternate cosmetics.... that’s it.

1 minute ago, svelok said:

Ah, I see we're doing "I'm mad that somebody else gets something pretty that I can't have" on this board too, now. I'll just go ahead and repeat myself.

It's an identical unit with a limited run sculpt. You'll live.

Well yeah, after all we either should all have the shiny toy or nobody should. It’s toy inequality and it’s wrong!!! 🙄 

I really don’t get the salt. It’s a toy. And it’s not even a new mechanic in the game. 

3 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Their sculptors did a cool thing for a huge event for the license, and may even have been asked to do something by the licensor to have to show at the big convention which is all about star wars. It's not a personal attack. FFG didn't make the resin for this mold from your dog. It's just ******* cosmetics, ******* get over yourselves. You are whining you can't buy something you already own again. 

Bingo. It’s not a big deal. I look at this as “hey, cool souvenir for the folks that went.” The end. 

There is so much ANGER on this thread, Anger leads to the Dark Side.

I am more than 50% fairly certain FFG will make this sculpt available due to “popular demand”  at a later date,  please rest easy kids. 

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

12 minutes ago, svelok said:

Ah, I see we're doing "I'm mad that somebody else gets something pretty that I can't have" on this board too, now. I'll just go ahead and repeat myself.

It's an identical unit with a limited run sculpt. You'll live.

The hobby is aimed at people who like to collect. There are probably a lot of folks here who are buying BOTH factions.

This kind of marketing stunt excludes the fans who cannot attend a specific event.

The international angle here is extra dumb. This is packaged as a promo for an event, which FFG has no control over - they don't decide where Star Wars Celebration is. They're also not going to sit out Star Wars Celebration out of protest for their international fanbase. They've had 3 in Europe an 1 in Japan, BTW over the course of doing this since about 2002. It's just not your year.

"Exclusive Merch" is bullet point two on Celebration's features on it's website, also.

5 minutes ago, Empire On Ice said:

The hobby is aimed at people who like to collect.

I disagree. That is thinking a little small.

The hobby is aimed at multiple types of people, one of which is a collector. There are multiple avenues of interest targeted by the hobby, and a particular person may overlap many of them.

I think that outside of the loud minority on the forums this isn’t going to do anything to sales of the game. If they actually had a special unit that was in some mechanical way different I’d see the rage hurting them. But that’s not what is going on here.

Does anyone know how many they will have there?  The only available tickets are for Monday ($75) for the day.  I’m interested in the rest of the convention, but I’d like to know if they’ll have some reserved for each day.

25 minutes ago, Empire On Ice said:

The hobby is aimed at people who like to collect. There are probably a lot of folks here who are buying BOTH factions.

This kind of marketing stunt excludes the fans who cannot attend a specific event.

Ummm no it's not. Those are collectable games like ccgs and heroclix. This is not that at all

Really, as long as they rules don't change, I think this is a good play for FFG over all. GW and other companies do this sort of thing anyway. I'm not going to Chicago, but I'm hoping this sculpt reappears of other Star wars events in the future, that I might get to. 

2 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Ummm no it's not. Those are collectable games like ccgs and heroclix. This is not that at all

Actually, table top miniature games tend to be aimed at a variety of people.  Games Workshop, probably the largest and most successful of the tabletop game publishers (Warhammer and Warhammer 40k) has long held to the idea that the hobby is aimed at four kinds of players and refers to these as the pillars of gaming...

• People who like to collect models.
  • People who like to build models.
  • People who like to paint models.
  • People who like to play games with models.

Star Wars Legion definitely appeals to collectors.  For every person who begrudgingly glues together their models so that they can play, there is another who lovingly paints and displays their collection on a shelf.  In fact, most of the players I know will say things like "I doubt I'll use it in actual games, but I think I'll buy an E-Web just so I have at least one."  That's a collector comment.

Holy cow! It's just a model and doesn't change the game at all. None of you must participate in Kickstarter projects because exclusive things are all over the place over there...or maybe you're the target audience because you'll go all in to avoid the feeling of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)! 

I wonder how much say Disney had in this decision!

I have no problems with this! Your collection tells a story of your life and your tastes. If you have this product, it means you went to the special event! It’s a souvenir. If you don’t own it, it means you didn’t go... and that’s fine too! 

What makes us all unique individuals is actually that we don’t all have access to the same opportunities, or interest in everything, or money to buy everything. If you just buy what you like, what’s available, and what you can afford, your collection tells your own unique story. Way more interesting than owning everything, I think!

1 minute ago, rasmussen81 said:

Holy cow! It's just a model and doesn't change the game at all. None of you must participate in Kickstarter projects because exclusive things are all over the place over there...or maybe you're the target audience because you'll go all in to avoid the feeling of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)! 

I wonder how much say Disney had in this decision!

It is exactly these kind of things that turned me off KS (that and the number of bad companies who never deliver and just buy hype on certain websites/Youtube for the next project).

Legion is a collectors game. If I just wanted to play a decent skirmish scale game I would be playing Chain of Command. The original trilogy is what got me in to Legion. It is all the worse because currently the only way to get Vader is buying the Core Box.

I will contend that if it's silly to feel frustrated at not being offered an exclusive sculpt...

...that it's even sillier to be upset at a person who feels frustrated at not being offered an exclusive sculpt.   Trust me, I am just as perplexed at your reaction as you were at mine.

one issue i have with this, is that alternate sculpts like this can give in game advantages.  In this case it gives a disadvantage because it makes it harder to hide, but what if they released a Luke or Han that had all of the same stats but was crouching?  It would be a significant advantage as more cover options become LOS blocking.

for all the people defending this practice - god knows why!!! It still doesn’t change the fact that the number of pissed off posts here and on facebook. demonstrating that a proportion of the fan base are annoyed. If you don’t mind, fine, good for you. However if you do mind it’s a personal preference you are allowed to have. This company is supposed to be about making money by selling models to people who want to collect and play with them. Actively preventing your fan base from buying models almost certainly limits your scope of sales and annoys a proportion of your customer base. End of the world it is not, factually this practice pisses people off. This game is small and is supported by a dedicated customer base. It’s a bad move. 

Edited by Darkwinter