ScummyRebel

Anyone going to Celebration? (Exclusive Sculpt)

How extremely disappointing.  I'd much rather see FFG spend their time, effort and production capacity producing new models that the average consumer can buy.  Event exclusive models tend to alienate everyone who can't attend the event.  At least they didn't go with limited edition rules (unless you count this new, much taller Vader's expanded line of sight).

Edited by KrisWall

4 minutes ago, Ken on Cape said:

So because I can't get to go to the event, I can't get that exclusive mini unless I want to over pay online. 

Thanks. 

well some other companies sell their alt sculps later in the online store.  ( i mean they did a new sculpt, why not sell it down the line....)

Just now, zwara81 said:

well some other companies sell their alt sculps later in the online store.  ( i mean they did a new sculpt, why not sell it down the line....)

FFG has historically never sold any of their limited edition or prize materials online.  I see no reason to expect that they will start now, especially since the article very explicitly says this sculpt will be "available exclusively at Star Wars Celebration 2019".

1 minute ago, jcmonson said:

the thing is this sculpt looks to be significantly taller, so it will be harder to hid him in terrain.

in terms of completely obscuring for sure, though, i wonder if you would technically count the base (since part of sculpt) when determining if obstacle in front is adding cover.  like if a wall covers the base and the rocks but not the actual mini, he should have cover.

15 minutes ago, Ken on Cape said:

So because I can't get to go to the event, I can't get that exclusive mini unless I want to over pay online. 

Thanks. 

Essentially, yes. It’s an exclusive sculpt of an existing unit. Ffg has done this sort of swag before, just always been in the form of acrylic tokens, dice and alt art cards.

11 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

How extremely disappointing.  I'd much rather see FFG spend their time, effort and production capacity producing new models that the average consumer can buy.  Event exclusive models tend to alienate everyone who can't attend the event.  At least they didn't go with limited edition rules (unless you count this new, much taller Vader's expanded line of sight).

As I said in this post, it effectively amounts to alt art. It’s just alternate plastic instead of artwork on a card.

I’m not happy that I can’t make it, but I’m also not upset that ffg did this. They’ve done it for years in other forms (cards, tokens, etc) so this doesn’t significantly change from that.

They have an xwing Adepticon exclusive paint job and that set those forums ablaze too. Still not sure why that should be that big of a deal.

I probably won’t get either this alt sculpt or the Adepticon xwing pack. There’s no new gaming content and I don’t know anyone going to celebration.

I kinda hope to see other alt sculpts appear at other events I may be able to attend though. It’s just a fun souvenir. Not like they’re adding new game content that nobody can play.

8 minutes ago, Gridloc said:

in terms of completely obscuring for sure, though, i wonder if you would technically count the base (since part of sculpt) when determining if obstacle in front is adding cover.  like if a wall covers the base and the rocks but not the actual mini, he should have cover.

Yeah, i meant for completely obscuring, a lot of the terrain i have is just tall enough to obscure trooper sized minis, and this new sculpt would put evaders head and chest above.

How big of a bonfire will I create when I buy one at Celebration, paint it up like a statue and post the picture in the painting forums? 😂

On a serious note: can someone give me a bit more insight on this being resin?  What’s the difference from a hobbiest standpoint?

Edited by FSD

I really hate when companies do that. Favorizing a country. 

This is why Chinese work so much... 

Never mind, if someone kind enough to take to and make me pay for one the price it sells (and not 39 times), I would be verrrrry please. 

10 minutes ago, FSD said:

On a serious note: can someone give me a bit more insight on this being resin?  What’s the difference from a hobbiest standpoint?

From a production standpoint the material probably lends itself to the short run casting better than plastic.

As a hobbyist, the implications depend on what kind of resin they go with.