Hi all, 

For reasons of space me and my bro are stuck to a 3x3 gaming surface. At present we also dont have 800 points a side. Is anyone else in a similar position? We found that 400 points leaves us very restricted as Vader costs so much, so bumped it up to 450 to leave room for upgrades and Boba Fett. (Still fairly restrictive tho) 

With objective based scenarios beyond the learning game we also found that there are too many objectives vs too few trooper units. The objectives and terrain together seem crowded on such a small surface. 

At a push we could probably work towards a 6x3 surface and 800 points a side by summer. The original plan was to vary the terrain and build 3-4 3x3s with different environments. 

Just wondering what people think and if anyone else is restricted in this way

I suggest looking at the official Entanglement Operation "Take the Hill" on FFG's Legion page. It is meant to be played on a 3x3, with a different army structure. Stuff about army structure posted below for reference: 

An Entanglement event involves players playing 1v1 and requires games to be played on a 3’x3’ field of battle instead of the traditional 6’x3’ field. Players must build an army with a maximum of 500 points and must include the following units:

• 1 Commander unit

• 2-4 Corps units

• 0-1 Special Forces units

• 0-1 Support units

• 0-1 Heavy units

• 0-1 Operative units

Each round is 75 minutes long.

Lowing the Corps requirement to 2 frees up at least 40 points, and the 500 point limit still allows for one expensive character like Vader. 

There are a few other operational scenarios that also are designed to be played on a 3 x 3 setup, they are all listed here including Take the Hill above: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/

Perhaps look at a couple of cost-effective units to start with to build in some flex and play with a 500-600 range on 3x3 until you figure out the space challenge.

To build in some flex to your forces for little cash I'd pick up:

- Han, Leia & Veers (Cheaper commanders allowing more army flex and variety & they are the cheapest expansions)

- Boba & Chewie (Low cost and will allow you to bump up your points value significantly)

- Scouts / Commandos - (These can be fielded as two units with the cards and minis included (1 Strike Team & 1 Full Squad) great for fleshing out your army and strike teams add a low-cost deployment option to an army).

Then there are a few units that will allow you to get to 800 points quickly such as

- AT-ST / T-47 - I have seen the T47 for under £20 as it is not the most desirable unit from a competitive standpoint. AT-ST is generally a bit pricier but will bump you to 800 in no time ;)

- Emporer Palpatine is Another high points cost low monetary cost unit worth picking up early.

- Wookie Warriors / Royal Guard - These are pretty strong units, add some tactical variety and capability to both forces and can be quite high in points to field.

So far we have core set, Boba, Han, 1 Fleet troopers and 1 Scout troopers. I've ordered Veers so as to make room for Fett in a list, and Chewie just for balance. (Ease of painting is also dictating purchases as it's 70% of the reason Im interested and Im teaching my bro how to do it too)

7 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

Hi all, 

For reasons of space me and my bro are stuck to a 3x3 gaming surface. At present we also dont have 800 points a side. Is anyone else in a similar position? We found that 400 points leaves us very restricted as Vader costs so much, so bumped it up to 450 to leave room for upgrades and Boba Fett. (Still fairly restrictive tho) 

With objective based scenarios beyond the learning game we also found that there are too many objectives vs too few trooper units. The objectives and terrain together seem crowded on such a small surface. 

At a push we could probably work towards a 6x3 surface and 800 points a side by summer. The original plan was to vary the terrain and build 3-4 3x3s with different environments. 

Just wondering what people think and if anyone else is restricted in this way

Get a second core set and any rebel hero. Congratulations, you know own two legal if sucky 800 point armies. When you are cash strapped, saving up for a second core set is the only logical choice. All else is a horrible waste of money. Core sets $71 shipped from Fantasy Flight's own Amazon account I think.

A full 3x6 battlefield can be had for under $20 and I will blog (or otherwise document) the process of this soon.

Edited by TauntaunScout

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Get a second core set and any rebel hero. Congratulations, you know own two legal if sucky 800 point armies. When you are cash strapped, saving up for a second core set is the only logical choice. All else is a horrible waste of money. Core sets $71 shipped from Fantasy Flight's own Amazon account I think.

A full 3x6 battlefield can be had for under $20 and I will blog (or otherwise document) the process of this soon.

Second core set is inevitable, but we are nearly a year in without getting the first one finished. I dont have room to paint in my apartment, so I do it in the family home when I visit. 3rd imp/rebel heroes have been ordered. I have materials for 3x6 but no real surface to hold it which is the main problem. So a variety of 3x3s was our initial goal, but as I said it brings certain limitations we didnt anticipate

I played two round of Operation Take the Hill yesterday and it was a blast!

It works really well and makes for quick and fun games (both games were decided at the start of round 3 after less than 1h). You have to definitely take the Battle Builder rules from there because the battle-cards for the large game don't scale down to 3x3. You might wanna tweak some monor things (Key positions as per FAQ of the Battlecard, Secure the drone reprogram actions per round) and maybe cut them out to use them as Battlecards to mix up the selected scenarios if you are playing it regularly.

5 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

Second core set is inevitable, but we are nearly a year in without getting the first one finished. I dont have room to paint in my apartment, so I do it in the family home when I visit. 3rd imp/rebel heroes have been ordered. I have materials for 3x6 but no real surface to hold it which is the main problem. So a variety of 3x3s was our initial goal, but as I said it brings certain limitations we didnt anticipate

Such are life's limitations! Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

How much room do you need to paint? I've used a cheap serving tray for my models and paints in the past, and it can easily be packed away.

Yeah, I don't get it when people say they need "room" to paint. You can keep tons of supplies in a small toolbox, and when I actually get my stuff out it

probably takes up a 12x18" area on my dining room table.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sharkbelly said:

How much room do you need to paint? I've used a cheap serving tray for my models and paints in the past, and it can easily be packed away.

My room is basically the size of a single bed on stilts. The desk has to fit under it so it's very dark. I share a place with others so its not convenient to paint in the kitchen. I plan on investing in a light and a new bed which will free up space. The family home has a shed attic and spare rooms (plus my only willing opponent: younger brother!) Its less a space issue and more one of convenience. Next major purchase is a hobby lamp which should speed things along.

1 hour ago, Alan Noir said:

My room is basically the size of a single bed on stilts. The desk has to fit under it so it's very dark. I share a place with others so its not convenient to paint in the kitchen. I plan on investing in a light and a new bed which will free up space. The family home has a shed attic and spare rooms (plus my only willing opponent: younger brother!) Its less a space issue and more one of convenience. Next major purchase is a hobby lamp which should speed things along.

A bright LED lamp is a good purchase for sure.

7 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

Gotcha. I understand better now!