Sign in to follow this  
Moon-beast King

Monsters that would work well as enemies in this game

The Demogorgon from Stranger Things- would be very difficult to evade.

The Nestene Intelligence and the Autons from Dr. who- When the Intelligence comes out you have to search the encounter deck and discard pile for at least one Auton enemy and bring it to play in a location that has at least one investigator on it.

Edited by Moon-beast King

Continuing with Doctor Who -

The Silence.  You cannot attack them unless you are engaged with them.  You cannot engage them unless they are already engaged.  When you become engaged with one, take one direct horror.  When engagement ends, heal one horror.

Weeping Angels
Hunter.  Aloof.  Prey - lowest Agility.  Evade - 2.  No damage or horror.  Does not attack.  Engaged Investigators may only Move or Evade.  If an Angel is ready and unengaged when enemies attack, its Prey must Evade.  If an Investigator fails an Evade against the Angel, the investigator is Insane.

Edited by CSerpent

How about the Trash Hobos from Twin Peaks - They'd probably be aloof.  Anyone who starts their turn in a spot with a trash hobo needs to take a copy of Frozen In Fear and put it in their threat area.  If you already have Frozen In Fear in your threat area at the start of your turn in a space where a Trash Hobo is standing they say their weird incantation and kill you.  Their flavor text could be "Got a light?"

Edited by phillos

4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Continuing with Doctor Who -

Weeping Angels
Hunter.  Aloof.  Prey - lowest Agility.  Evade - 2.  No damage or horror.  Does not attack.  Engaged Investigators may only Move or Evade.  If an Angel is ready and unengaged when enemies attack, its Prey must Evade.  If an Investigator fails an Evade against the Angel, the investigator is Insane.

Surely, if you fail the Evade test, rather than going insane, that investigator has to go into another room and play whichever earlier published campaign they have in their collection!

3 hours ago, phillos said:

How about the Trash Hobos from Twin Peaks - They'd probably be aloof.  Anyone who starts their turn in a spot with a trash hobo needs to take a copy of Frozen In Fear and put it in their threat area.  If you already have Frozen In Fear in your threat area at the start of your turn in a space where a Trash Hobo is standing they say their weird incantation and kill you.  Their flavor text could be "Got a light?"

Scariest TV monsters ever.  The Return was truly cosmic horror.

from the Witcher-  a Fiend: fight of 5, hp of 6, evade of 3, alert, hunter, Spawn: location with the highest number of investigators, when fiend first comes into play all investigators have to do an intellect test with a difficulty of four-those who fail lose their next turn.

Leshen: fight of 3, evade of 5,hp of 5 alert, hunter, retaliate, when Leshen first comes into play search the encounter deck for animal/beast enemy and put it into play, shuffle the encounter deck afterwards, when evading the Leshen commit to an intellect skill test with a difficulty of 5, those who fail have to either randomly discard 3 cards from your hand or take 3 horror

from the Borderlands- Claptrap robot: evade 1, fight of 0, intellect of 1, hp of 1, aloof , Parley: spend 1 resource to put Claptrap on the bottom of the encounter deck, if you fail a fight or evade check with claptrap put claptrap in the victory display, victory: your investigator is immediately killed  lol

I'd like to see more monsters returning from the CoC LCG. For example:

CT18_107.jpg

In AH-TCG terms, I'd give this guy 4 fight, 6 life, and 3 evade, plus -1 to all skills for investigators in the same location. His attack would be 1 damage and 2 horror.

Edited by Carthoris

Posted (edited)

You could probably look to a lot mythology for inspiration if not just using the source. Charybdis reminds me a lot of the end creature from Carnivale, but I imagine (similar to goat spawn), you could have harpy-like creatures, or the furies, or Maenads. Pan would be an obvious choice as well due to his influence of the word 'panic' and also his seemingly lascivious nature.

You could also pull from Japanes yokai inspirations. A quick google brings up this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_from_Japan

Could be good for a Lilly entry campaign; 

• Amikiri – A net-cutting bird-headed, crustacean-armed, snake-bodied spirit.
  • Akashita – A creature that looms in a black cloud over a floodgate.
  • Dodomeki – A hundred-eyed demon.
  • Heikegani  Crabs with human-faced shells. They are the spirits of the warriors killed in the Battle of Dan-no-ura.
Edited by Soakman

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

You could probably look to a lot mythology for inspiration if not just using the source. Charybdis reminds me a lot of the end creature from Carnivale, but I imagine (similar to goat spawn), you could have harpy-like creatures, or the furies, or Maenads. Pan would be an obvious choice as well due to his influence of the word 'panic' and also his seemingly lascivious nature.

Pan would make an excellant avatar of Shub-Niggurath

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Moon-beast King said:

Pan would make an excellant avatar of Shub-Niggurath

Oddly enough, I've used him as inspiration for the Green Man signature scenario I'm making for Jenny Barnes. It is all tied to Shub. I'm still working on the final version of the signature scenario (a sub-type of scenario that I'm creating, which works as a sort of personal story/side mission for specific investigators; rewards include alterations to or enhancements of that investigator's signature cards [including weaknesses]). But, hey, if you like the idea, you could give it a go when it is ready. 😜

Edited by Soakman

See, I went to Roman Mystery cults and Rex Nemorensis to that one, just to get in a priesthood that was already so weird that it creeped out the Romans at the time. And for bonus points, it's linked to Magna Mater Kybele, and in Rats in the Walls, Lovecraft says that Kybele was Shub Niggurath. 

4 hours ago, Moon-beast King said:

Ganonndorf  from the Zelda games- as a Mask of Nyarlathotep

Nah, Demise is the Mask of Nyarlathotep. That's how his curse works: You think you've defeated a great evil, when in fact you've only defeated one of his masks, leaving the real Nyarlathotep free to toy with you for the rest of time. Heck, he probably deliberately threw that fight, just to screw with you. Ganon has a decidedly human origin, though he's long since sold his soul and shed his humanity to become like an Ancient One himself.

Much like Keziah Mason in TCU.

While we're on the topic, I can't help but notice a certain character happens to be a powerful, continually reincarnated magic-user, and there is also a certain Lovecraftian entity who is the source of both reincarnation (or at least that's how we mortals would understand it) and sorcery. That's right: Zelda is a servitor of Yog-Sothoth. What, did you really think you were saving Hyrule? 

If outside the Mythos, the Thing would make a perfect one-off scenario, I mean shapeshifters in an isolated station, with the survivors trying to find out who is who, thats fun 

Also, the Zombieland clown-zombie 🤡

And I agree The Silence and Weeping Angels would be wicked in Arkham Horror

John Carpenter's "The Thing" would make a great monster in one of these games. Working on a story with a friend to sort of adapt the psychology and existential dread of that scenario into a fan-made adventure for giggles.