Deadshane

Han is like, the best Leader

He is just so good.  Reliably kills 4 per turn.  Respectible melee (vs troopers).  REROLLABLE defence.  Sorry About The Mess (for pissing off your opponent).  Times 2 with Chewie.

Just so good.

My list up in the forum lists right now...here just for referance.  I just think Han is stinking great....

++  Standard (Rebel Alliance) [800 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Han Solo [120 Points]

•Leia Organa [90 Points]

+ Operative +

•Chewbacca [122 Points]: Emergency Stims, Tenacity

+ Corps +

Rebel Troopers [80 Points]: 2-1B Medical Droid, Z-6 Trooper

Rebel Troopers [72 Points]: Rebel Trooper, Z-6 Trooper

+ Special Forces +

Rebel Commandos - Strike Team [46 Points]: DH-447 Sniper, Recon Intel

Rebel Commandos - Strike Team [46 Points]: DH-447 Sniper, Recon Intel

+ Support +

1.4 FD Laser Cannon Team [80 Points]: Barrage Generator

+ Command Hand +

Command Hand: Sorry About the Mess, •Coordinated Bombardment, ••Brains and Brawn, ••No Time for Sorrows, •••Notorious Scoundrels, •••Somebody Has to Save Our Skins, ••••Standing Orders

+ Battle Cards +

Condition Cards

Deployment Cards

Objective Cards

++ Total: [800 Points] ++

Created with BattleScribe

His melee is far from respectable; it's pretty much the worst in the game. Once he's in melee, even with Stormtroopers, he's pretty much withdrawing or swinging ineffectually for the rest of the game, unless they just kill him.

I out-fought 5 troopers today just with Han AND his defensive RR'ing.  ....in MELEE....

You're mistaken.  He may not slaughter in HTH but he is no slouch.  Balanced considering his amazeballs shooting.

Edited by Deadshane

I have found him lacking compared to Luke and Leia. At least in reliability.

His gunslinger with sharpshooter 1 and Pierce is nice vs troops not in heavy cover, but he kills at least one most attacks. Wish he had sharp 2 like Boba though.

Uncanny luck is nice, but a white die is still a white die and he still dies to Pierce. However I have had games where he stood in heavy cover with reckless diversion and tanked a ton of damage. Sadly he often get alot of supression and with only courage 2 he risk losing and action wich prevents the much needed move + shoot.

His command cards is where he shines IMO. They are all very powerful and can sabotage your opponents plan.

Sorry about the mess + hq uplink. Recklessdiversion tanking or change of plans in clutch turns.

I like han, but I find that you need both Chewie and something with inspire + a little luck for him to stand out.

Your milage may vary

Terrain may effect my opinion, but we play with plenty of Heavy.

My game today played mostly light plus a suppression...an Han wound up surprising me by beating down a trooper squad in HTH after they charged him to "be safe".

44 minutes ago, Deadshane said:

I out-fought 5 troopers today just with Han AND his defensive RR'ing.  ....in MELEE....

You're mistaken.  He may not slaughter in HTH but he is no slouch.  Balanced considering his amazeballs shooting.

I'm not mistaken. Literally the only unit in the game that's worse in melee are the generic commanders. I didn't say he wasn't balanced, just that he is most definitely a slouch in melee. That's pretty much his weakness (and Pierce, but everything that isn't immune to it is weak to Pierce). I like Han a lot, mostly for the aggravation he causes my enemies. He's a good midpoint between Leia's cheap utility and Luke the terrifying wrecking ball.

Good points though....like you said, ymmv.

Luke IS a wrecking ball, for sure, but you HAVE to get him stuck in.  He could get shot up first if you are careless.

Han seems safer to me, and the body count is always impressive.

Han is nice and all but far from being the best Leader. When I go for efficiency I always pick Luke. It is no coincidence that almost every successful Rebel Turnament list fields Luke.

I had Han take down Vader in melee before. Pure luck I must add, but it was themactically just after Vader cleaved Chewie in half. Used my recalled 'Sorry about the mess' to punch rather than shoot first (Vader engaged Han in melee round before, but Han survived on one health) and got very lucky with the dice. Won me the game in the end.

I have to disagree, han does have awesome tools up his sleeve and he can definitely kill 4 stormtroopers a round easily but hes not the best commander imo.  melee/pierce is his one true weakness (ive been one shotted by vader before as han) white dice are garbage.  Luke might still be in the running for most valuable commander in the game and I believe every rebel list needs leia, for her 90 points, you are getting a lot to bring to the table.  

I did play jyn on friday with two pathfinders and I had a blast, she is alot of fun to play and her kit is amazing.  she will not disappoint any rogue one fans haha 

I only play with Han now because I am by nature a sneaky, strategically anarchistic person.  Even in chess, I will make moves with the sole objective being to disrupt the plan of my opponent: watching them furiously attempt to recalculate after they have planned 10 moves in advance gives me sparks of joy.

I tend to find that he does well as long as I keep him away from enemy melee units.  Going anywhere near Vader, The Emperor, Luke, guardsmen or wookiees is not going to work out.  Conversely, he guns down bikers and troopers quite efficiently.   Environmental gear helps a lot in getting close to troopers and away from melee threats.  

His cards are possibly the most useful for vehicles with 'Sorry about the mess' and 'reckless distraction' which is another major pull for me- my airspeeders and AT-RTs  seem to stay operational long enough to make an impact with Han.

I've used Han exclusively since he came out and I've had great luck with him. I'm not a fan of sinking large amounts of points into a single unit so I don't use Luke ever, and I prefer a commander that I'm going to have actually in the fight rather than supporting from behind so Leia doesn't see as much use from me either. I refuse to use Jyn as I don't like her character so she's out of the mix. That leaves me with Han and the generic and I'm totally okay with that.

The only problem I have with Han is that I am compelled to run Chewie as well for thematic reasons. Can't have Han without his wingman.

I have the most fun running Han and Chewie together. They are my go to commanders, since you can't really run Han without Chewie. Luke is probably better, but I like the versatility the combo gives you.

Has anyone tried Han, Chewie and a Generic Commander?

It’s likely worth the points to just take Leia instead of the Generic but I was wondering if a Generic could hold up the rear a bit as Han and Chewie dive in... and add a bit of insurance if Han gets taken out.

Thoughts? 

Edited by BenBot

I did for just a couple of games 1000 pt games, but wasn't too impressed with the Generic commander. The Generic just didn't do enough. Han never even got close to being taken out, though, since Chewie is typically seen as the bigger threat.

7 hours ago, Taiowaa said:

Last game my opponent had 4hp left on han and i shot him with boba and killed him in 1 shot ;) so he is not unkillable.

Boba seems to be designed to kill Han, which makes sense considering the background.  In my careless days I once lost Han on turn 2- 1 wound from a sniper and 5 from Boba's rifle and rocket.

I think Han's save is something like 56%, so it's not all that much better than stormtrooper armour.  On the other hand, Mandolorian armour saves at around 67% and is pierce resistant.  

How is your experience with activation control? I understand that you will order Han every round (except maybe the first where you pick coordinated fire) and chewie half the time. The rest of the time you draw from the bag and since 5 different kinds of tokens are in there you cannot guarantee to get the best pick a lot of time.

Also how do you fare against maximized Wonder Twins? They have more activations and Luke as a powerful centerpiece to destroy Han easily if he approaches too close (which he has to do since he has only range 2 ...).

I have an airspeeder so I'd probably sigh.
With my alternative list I'd keep Han clear- it's not like his gun is any good against Luke anyway and Leia has the skills to out shoot him one on one too. It's interesting that you say Luke is a 'centerpiece'.  My general strategy there would be to have no centre and flow around him.

But it's not a problem here: everyone I know plays Imperials if given a choice.

Just want to say as an Imperial player, playing against Han/Chewie is extremely frustrating.  Han seems nearly impossible to kill when he's in cover and tokened up with Chewie nearby, and then of course he plays Reckless Diversion. Gah.