Jump to content
Deadshane

Han Solo is just too good...

Recommended Posts

Its a wonder why Empire players bother to unpack the rest of their armies...Fett is so great he just kills everything.

Would make for a decent bid, you guys should try it since he is unkillable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Deadshane said:

Its a wonder why Empire players bother to unpack the rest of their armies...Fett is so great he just kills everything.

Would make for a decent bid, you guys should try it since he is unkillable.

I quite agree with that, even if I truely find boba really strong and interesting, I do not find him "too strong".

He can be lock in melee for age if he is just "badly played" once of its turn, and he is just "BBBB crit surge pierce 1 impact 1 at range 1-2". No matter the situation, Boba will never kill anyone (nor anything) if he stays in range 1-3.

And in range 1-2 of a target, I hope for him he delete that target (pro-tips : he can't kill more dude than he have dices), and then the opposing player just have to double move to lock Boba in battle.

Boba is strong, but really tricky to play. And he never kill "in one shot" a single unit or character (even the no names one).

Sabine is comparable to him, but Sabine with Black Saber will "never be lock" for long in melee.

And you can't really "hit and run" safely with boba. Or you stay in range 3 and never really do anything. IMO, Boba is stronger to play objective (he can hold one alone for a long time before dying thanks to Pierce "immunity", its 5 wounds, stims and everything) than to hunt the bounty (he had to stay alive to score the bounty VP's).

Or I am completely biaised in my opinion and judgment, and in this case, ok. But even in "LVO Lists" (which, to remember, I find them not to be "optimal", but ok), he is more a way to hunt Luke to avoid rampage or quickly go destroying snipers and cause mayhem in opponent half board than anything else.



Backing to the topic, my Han Solo never get killed. Even in the last tournament I played (a little one with 7 players. Ended 2nd because of INSANE LUCK of my opponent ^^), he just felt to "3 wounds left", even against a Boba or a Palpatine. Han is a really resilient character. Even if he is better for his command cards (still IMO, I love all of his cards).

Edited by RaevenKS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaevenKS said:

No matter the situation, Boba will never kill anyone (nor anything) if he stays in range 1-3.

Boba is strong, but really tricky to play. And he never kill "in one shot" a single unit or character (even the no names one).

Sabine is comparable to him, but Sabine with Black Saber will "never be lock" for long in melee.

And you can't really "hit and run" safely with boba. Or you stay in range 3 and never really do anything. 

Backing to the topic, my Han Solo never get killed. 

Let´ s play a game called "What is wrong with this sentences?"

1- Have you take a look to Boba´´ s command cards? I suppose you have not because I find very hard to miss a 3-4 range 3 red dice impact missile. You can neutralize almost a complete squadron in heavy cover with a carbine/missile attack.

2- Megalol. Because 8 red dice at range 0 or 6 red and 2 blacks with pierce at range 1 cannot kill an entire unit.

3-  Sabine is nothing like Boba except in the "armor" section. She has no range but a darksaber. She will play completely different than Boba. 

4- Due to his maneuverability he can. Try catching him when he is in the top of a building at range 2 of your troops. And again, he has a range 3-4 missile. You cannot expect to outmanouver a Jump2 / Movement 3 with troops. Even Luke cannot hunt him down without a mistake/risk taken from Boba.

5- Lol. This weekend I won my local store tournament killing two Han Solos in the process. The poor lad cannot use duck and cover vs sharpshooter 2 and his uncanny luck does not pair well vs Pierce 1. One of the two times Boba with 1 aim killed Han in one shot (rocket+carbine).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Senjius said:

Of course, top Imperial players in LVO always took him because he is so bad he cannot kill anything. He "only" has Arsenal 2, sharpshooter 2, 2 black pierce 1, 2 black impact 1, a red flamethrower, a 3 red rocket launcher... And that is only "on paper". Put him in a table with scenery and you will never know what hit you. Well, you will know, it was a mandalorian nightmare.

Honestly I have tried him so many times and he never makes any sort of impact at all on the board. he hardly ever hits anything for me even with the sparpshooter 2. What hit me was a mandalorian mosquito.

9 hours ago, SailorMeni said:

Did you use his Command Cards? The rockets make him deal an averager of 3 wounds on range 3, ignoring cover. The flamethrower wipes an entire unit and the 1-pip card imobilizes one unit (hello Luke!). And during the rest of the game he reliably kills 1 trooper (range 3) or 2 troopers (range 2) and then there is the bounty. His save is good but you are not supposed to move him in the open and wait for him to be shot. You stay away or in cover and if need be "guard" or heal him. In my opinion he is the second best model in the game, only topped by Luke.

Yes i use them but his command cards just don't work for me for some reason. I have literally run in and used his flamethrower and his boots so 7 red attack dice against rebel commandos and killed...one guy.  I dunno maybe I'm just crazy unlucky. I'll have to try him a few more times to maybe find out if I'm doing something wrong with him. Or i'll just stick to my reliable units like luke and palpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Senjius said:

Let´ s play a game called "What is wrong with this sentences?"

1- Have you take a look to Boba´´ s command cards? I suppose you have not because I find very hard to miss a 3-4 range 3 red dice impact missile. You can neutralize almost a complete squadron in heavy cover with a carbine/missile attack.

2- Megalol. Because 8 red dice at range 0 or 6 red and 2 blacks with pierce at range 1 cannot kill an entire unit.

3-  Sabine is nothing like Boba except in the "armor" section. She has no range but a darksaber. She will play completely different than Boba. 

4- Due to his maneuverability he can. Try catching him when he is in the top of a building at range 2 of your troops. And again, he has a range 3-4 missile. You cannot expect to outmanouver a Jump2 / Movement 3 with troops. Even Luke cannot hunt him down without a mistake/risk taken from Boba.

5- Lol. This weekend I won my local store tournament killing two Han Solos in the process. The poor lad cannot use duck and cover vs sharpshooter 2 and his uncanny luck does not pair well vs Pierce 1. One of the two times Boba with 1 aim killed Han in one shot (rocket+carbine).

You don't have to be so condescending. We could play the same game with your comment.

1.- Sure that attack is good but it is so hard to be able to utilize it well. You have to get Fett into just the right range and then an enemy unit can just get too close and make it so much harder to use. On top of all that, it's a 3 pip card with only 1 person getting an order...and it's a one time shot.

2.- That could be really effective but several times that flamethrower does absolutely next to nothing and then I'm stuck at really close range with enemy units all around me. Fett's dead

3.- They're really similar actually. They both have the same "armor" and the same speed and jump 2 so both highly maneuverable. The dark saber wont be as effective as it looks since Sabine has no charge. I think they'll play very similarly as Fett just get's 2 black at range 3 and 4 black at range 2 so they're both have to get into range 2.

4.- He can't hit and run effectively because to hit anything he has to be in range 2, shoot and then run but then he's still most likely in range of the troopers he shot at if they move. And if he uses his rocket that's one round so sure that works, but only once.

5.- Sounds like you went against some bad players. If Boba comes anywhere near Han I get him into heavy cover then get the suppression so 4 cover -2 with sharpshooter still = heavy cover. Plus how do you one shot kill a Han with rocket+carbine? That's only 5 dice killing a 6 health unit? Sorry that just doesn't add up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bllaw said:

 

5.- Sounds like you went against some bad players. If Boba comes anywhere near Han I get him into heavy cover then get the suppression so 4 cover -2 with sharpshooter still = heavy cover. Plus how do you one shot kill a Han with rocket+carbine? That's only 5 dice killing a 6 health unit? Sorry that just doesn't add up

you can only have a max cover of 2 when applying dodge and cover.  Boba has pierce 1 through his carbine if I remember correctly and Han does have uncanny luck (reroll 3 defense dice) but they are still white dice.  He is quite squishy, melee being a huge weakness.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bllaw said:

You don't have to be so condescending. We could play the same game with your comment.

1.- Sure that attack is good but it is so hard to be able to utilize it well. You have to get Fett into just the right range and then an enemy unit can just get too close and make it so much harder to use. On top of all that, it's a 3 pip card with only 1 person getting an order...and it's a one time shot.

2.- That could be really effective but several times that flamethrower does absolutely next to nothing and then I'm stuck at really close range with enemy units all around me. Fett's dead

3.- They're really similar actually. They both have the same "armor" and the same speed and jump 2 so both highly maneuverable. The dark saber wont be as effective as it looks since Sabine has no charge. I think they'll play very similarly as Fett just get's 2 black at range 3 and 4 black at range 2 so they're both have to get into range 2.

4.- He can't hit and run effectively because to hit anything he has to be in range 2, shoot and then run but then he's still most likely in range of the troopers he shot at if they move. And if he uses his rocket that's one round so sure that works, but only once.

5.- Sounds like you went against some bad players. If Boba comes anywhere near Han I get him into heavy cover then get the suppression so 4 cover -2 with sharpshooter still = heavy cover. Plus how do you one shot kill a Han with rocket+carbine? That's only 5 dice killing a 6 health unit? Sorry that just doesn't add up

Ok, back at it:

1-With jump 2 and move 3 it is that easy. You move to range 3 and shoot with the carbine and rocket. If someone comes by next turn you can deep fry him, dodge him or whatever because there is nothing as good at moving as Fett in the game.

2-If you cannot kill something with 8 red dice Boba is not the culprit here, it is just astronomical bad luck.

3-They are not. Sabine does not have sharpshooter either. They are really very different.

4-Again. It is simple. First combat turn you can shoot people from range 3 with missile+carbine with a lot of cover from your people. Then you activate last, jump into a building and shoot from range 2 with carbine/minirocket. With your great movement you can choose to move to a safe building or to a side of the battlefield where there are no more "unactivated" enemies. Anyway the enemy cannot retaliate effectively. Next turn you can use Ambush to double shoot again from the building/safe side and then fly away. I am not a military genius but I pull this off EVERY game (about 30 games with Fett already). I hope you get it now.

5- Heavy cover for Han Vs Fett? Ok, you just do not know how sharpshooter functions. Do not worry, everybody makes rules mistakes then and there. Sharpshooter applies last and negate every bit of your cover (which cannot be more than heavy cover "2"). And a mistake on my part, i did not "one shot" Han because he was at 5 health (one crit from Veers the same turn). Maybe now you appreciate how destructive is sharpshooter 2 + pierce 1 vs Han.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bllaw said:

Honestly I have tried him so many times and he never makes any sort of impact at all on the board. he hardly ever hits anything for me even with the sparpshooter 2. What hit me was a mandalorian mosquito.

Yes i use them but his command cards just don't work for me for some reason. I have literally run in and used his flamethrower and his boots so 7 red attack dice against rebel commandos and killed...one guy.  I dunno maybe I'm just crazy unlucky. I'll have to try him a few more times to maybe find out if I'm doing something wrong with him. Or i'll just stick to my reliable units like luke and palpy

It often boils down do personal preferences and experience. If you don't find a way to make Boba effective with your playstyle, don't use him.

I for example used Han already a lot and it doesn't seem to really work out. In my first game, he ran off the board on turn 2 (my mistake ...) but since then he most of the time is just hiding around, doing very little because whenever he goes out in the open (and by open I mean visible in heavy cover) he takes a beating immediately. I just don't seem to be able to roll anything but blanks with his defense dice. On paper it looks good and all and I really like his command cards but on the table it doesn't work out for me. Fett on the other hand is a defining player in all my games that's why I can't think of a list without him (when I aim for efficiency).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SailorMeni said:

I for example used Han already a lot and it doesn't seem to really work out. In my first game, he ran off the board on turn 2 (my mistake ...) but since then he most of the time is just hiding around, doing very little because whenever he goes out in the open (and by open I mean visible in heavy cover) he takes a beating immediately. I just don't seem to be able to roll anything but blanks with his defense dice. On paper it looks good and all and I really like his command cards but on the table it doesn't work out for me. Fett on the other hand is a defining player in all my games that's why I can't think of a list without him (when I aim for efficiency).

That sounds exactly like how my games with Fett have gone. He either just doesn't work for me or I am just really bad at using him. But everyone that I have gone against when they use Fett they also get terrible luck on his dice. I guess I just bring bad luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bllaw said:

That sounds exactly like how my games with Fett have gone. He either just doesn't work for me or I am just really bad at using him. But everyone that I have gone against when they use Fett they also get terrible luck on his dice. I guess I just bring bad luck

Do not worry about your luck. One day you will have good dice and another one not so much. Do not let those evil dice to dictate your army composition hehehe. If you are bad at using some miniature try to practice again with it and if it gets frustrating just do not use it for a time. Not all tactics are effective for everybody. I have a friend who is a great X-Wing player when he plays rebel scum but give him Vader, Ties or a Decimator and he cannot win a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, bllaw said:

100% agree Fett is my least favorite unit in the game to use. He can't do anything at all. His attack is so weak and so then he can't kill any units nearby so they all just get a few shots in on him and take him down easy. On paper, second best defender. On the board he just stinks. That said love running rebel against him as it's so fun to watch my opponents surprise when the unit they thought was supposed to roll perfect blocks rolls...nothing

Wow wow wow wow wow totally take it back just played a game with Fett again and looks like my luck has changed...he is a total BEAST!!! His red dice finally did something for me and now I'll be using him in all my imperial games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bllaw said:

Wow wow wow wow wow totally take it back just played a game with Fett again and looks like my luck has changed...he is a total BEAST!!! His red dice finally did something for me and now I'll be using him in all my imperial games

I am happy for you. Red dice with surge and a bit of luck may translate as immortal Fett. Enjoy the Beast XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...