Sign in to follow this  
CDAT

Am I reading the FAQ right?

It has been some time ago that I last read the FAQ, decided to reread it today and noticed something that if I am reading ti right I missed before. Admiral Screed in the FAQ says "This card’s effect can resolve during any ship or squadron’s activation." so does this mean that his ability works for squadrons as well? I ask as his card reads "Once per activation, when a friendly ship is attacking, it may spend 1 dice to change a dice to a face with a crit icon."

This ruling is specifically for Quad Laser Turrets

The qualifier is the ship must be attacking...  That has not changed at all...  So how can a Ship attack during a Squadron activation?

When it has counter.

How does it get counter?

Quad laser Turrets gives it counter 1.

How does screed get involved?

When its a Unique Squadron shooting at you, and you also have Kallus, and sub in a Black die...  Flub the Roll, and decide to discard your granted Blue Counter die to set the Black die to a Hit/Crit and do one damage.

In short:  Screed lets you do that.  Because he's not limited to just your ships activations, but he is limited to your Ships being the ones attacking, and does nothing for your friendly squadrons.

Edited by Drasnighta

45 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

This ruling is specifically for Quad Laser Turrets

The qualifier is the ship must be attacking...  That has not changed at all...  So how can a Ship attack during a Squadron activation?

When it has counter.

How does it get counter?

Quad laser Turrets gives it counter 1.

How does screed get involved?

When its a Unique Squadron shooting at you, and you also have Kallus, and sub in a Black die...  Flub the Roll, and decide to discard your granted Blue Counter die to set the Black die to a Hit/Crit and do one damage.

In short:  Screed lets you do that.  Because he's not limited to just your ships activations, but he is limited to your Ships being the ones attacking, and does nothing for your friendly squadrons.

OK, that kind of makes sense, but when you are using counter it is not your activation which is part of the requirement is it not? Or was that what they FAQ'ed? As based on what it sounds like, you could use it on your attack, then later in the turn when you are attacked by a Squadron use it again in the same turn? So how many times can you use it, as it sounds like only once, but reading what you posted it sounds like it has no limit on number of uses a turn.

Read Screeds ability.

latest?cb=20150117201955

When defending against an attack (and has Kallus and QLT) for all intents and purpose, the ship is being activated in order to conduct that attack (Counter IS an attack, and follows all the steps of an attack).
So yes, that ship can only use Screeds ability once per activation as stated. So once during that ships activation during the ship phase, and then during any Counter it conducts when attacked by a Unique squadron and has Kallus and QLT equipped and each is considered (per FAQ in this case) a new activation and thus can be used however many times that ship is attacked by a Unique Squadron.

Edited by Karneck

I'd argue along a different line here, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ship is not getting activated at all. It is only allowed to "perform an attack", as stated by the counter keyword.

Screed says "once per activation", which doesn't exclude squadron or enemy activations. The only restriction here is "when a friendly ship is attacking". In the case the FAQ ruling was made for, when you counter an attack, it is during an activation (that of the enemy squadron) and your ship is attacking. The "once per activation" part comes in, for example, when you have Yavaris, activating a squad. Screed could only affect one of the counter-attacks, as both happen during the same activation of the squadron.

Since the "when a friendly ship is attacking" part can be triggered again the same round, during another activation, Screed's effect can be used by one ship indefinitely.

Edited by R4Pi3R

I would like to agree with you, however, the rules are written very clearly.

Squadron Command
Dial
Activate a number of friendly squadrons up to the ship’s squadron value that are at close–medium range of the ship. Each squadron activated in this way can attack and move in either order. The squadrons are chosen and activated one at a time.
Token
Activate one squadron as described above.

Remember, squadrons are activated "one at a time". Thus they are their own separate activation, for each squadron chosen to be activated. 
They do not fall under that ship's activation. Even if that ship CHOOSE to activate them, One at a time, during its ship phase activation. 
But again, they are their own activations not tied to the ships activation.

Using your own example of Yavaris, read the card, it says "Each squadron you activate can attack twice if it does not move during your activation."
You activate each squadron, one at a time. They fulfill their own activation, before moving on to a new squadron activation. The your in this instance, of "your activation" is tied to that ship. It is an upgrade card that allows that squadron to get boosted during THAT squadrons activation. However it IS tied to how it is allowed to utilize that upgrade card based on what Yavaris is doing during ITS ship activation.
In this case, specifically disallowing squadrons to be moved with Fighter Coordination Teams, before or after a squadrons Activation if it wishes to utilize (or has utilized) the Yavaris upgrade card. 

See also Flight Controllers. "The anti-squadron armament of each squadron that you activate is increased by 1 blue die until the end of its activation."
Same deal with the wording, when you activate a squadron, one at a time, it is getting boosted during ITS activation to gain one additional blue die in it's anti squadron armament.

Edited by Karneck

38 minutes ago, Karneck said:

I would like to agree with you, however, the rules are written very clearly.

Remember, squadrons are activated "one at a time". Thus they are their own separate activation, for each squadron chosen to be activated. 
They do not fall under that ship's activation. Even if that ship CHOOSE to activate them, One at a time, during its ship phase activation. 

Using your own example of Yavaris, read the card, it says "Each squadron you activate can attack twice if it does not move during your activation."
You activate each squadron, one at a time. They fulfill their own activation, before moving on to a new squadron activation. The your in this instance, of "your activation" is tied to that ship. It is an upgrade card that allows that squadron to get boosted during THAT squadrons activation. However it IS tied to how it is allowed to utilize that upgrade card based on what Yavaris is doing during ITS ship activation.
In this case, specifically disallowing squadrons to be moved with Fighter Coordination Teams before or after a squadrons Activation if it utilizes the Yavaris upgrade card. 

See also Flight Controllers. "The anti-squadron armament of each squadron that you activate is increased by 1 blue die until the end of its activation."
Same deal with the wording, when you activate a squadron, one at a time, it is getting boosted during ITS activation to gain one additional blue die in it's anti squadron armament.

That's an interesting and important distinction; I'm not sure it doesn't lead to a contradiction rather than a clear ruling.  Either way, you can use Screed while attacking normally, then fix one counter against squads thrown from a Quasar, then fix one counter against squads thrown from Avenger.

1 hour ago, Karneck said:

Which is exactly my point. Screed never states that his "once per activation" only counts for friendlies, foes, ships or squads. Each squadron is activated one at a time and has its own activation, so using Screed's effect while counterattacking is using it during that squadrons activation, not during the activation of the ship that is activating the Squadron or the ship that is counterattacking.

My Yavaris example was meant to show the once per activation restriction. The Squad can attack twice, so the QLT ship can counter twice. Both attacks are during one activation, that of the attacking squadron, so Screed can only affect one of them. But he can affect one attack of each squadron Yavaris is activating, as each of them is attacking during its own seperate activation.

Edited by R4Pi3R

Screed can be used once per squadron activation. Even enemy squadron activation.

That is what the FAQ says.

However, nothing has changed in the fact that a Friendly SHIP must be the one attacking, and thus, the ONLY time a friendly ship can be attacking OUTSIDE of its own activation is......... Quad Laser Turrets...

In the case of Yavaris, it’s once per squad activation, so he can only be used on one if the two attacks.

If the FAQ had mentioned ship activation only, then we’d only be concerned with the windows of ship activation.

... I guarantee 100% that this was raised as a QLT ruling. 😁

Edited by Drasnighta

On 2/26/2019 at 5:51 AM, The Jabbawookie said:

Either way, you can use Screed while attacking normally, then fix one counter against squads thrown from a Quasar, then fix one counter against squads thrown from Avenger.

I would disagree with that. Each squadron attacks during it's own activation, and Screed can be used once against each squadron. 

5 minutes ago, JgzMan said:

I would disagree with that. Each squadron attacks during it's own activation, and Screed can be used once against each squadron. 

I was careful to word it so that it would be correct whichever direction the ruling went.  But yes, you have the correct interpretation.