Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

What Hyperspace Faction Requires The Most Thinking

What do you mean by thinking? This is an extremely open question.

My initial reaction was 'while playing' but it makes no sense at all to ask this at a faction level. 3 Firesprays play very different than 3 Fangs.

So maybe you mean 'while listbuilding'? But that is again extremely open.

Empire has not so many options for competitive hyperspace, but the few they have can be very good.

Scum is tricky to build due to many small fillers. There are several good puzzles to build, but they all need a lot of thought on the details.

Resistance has a huge range of good combinations. That means there is less fine tuning than Scum or Empire and more large decisions.

And so on. So it really depends on what you mean.

Unless of course you are only interested in what the community does with an open question like that.

If I understand your simple question right then you must mean in planning movements and executing them in game and how easy it is to do so...but that’s just my guess

ill say it’s close between first order and empire, because of certain ships that will most likely be used...probably empire

i do have to say all non dormitz upsilon squads for sure take planning ahead, you really have to have a path and full blown plan with those things. Especially tavson because you really don’t want to be doing red moves if you don’t have to...and would actually prefer bumping to slow down and still threaten your ability, then there is Scorch who is awesome but you for sure wanna have a plan for turning and keeping in the fight...same for backdraft but kind of the opposite, you want to face the rear gun at them but eventually you have to turn them around and get back in the fight. QuickDraw really really never wants to be getting shot without facing his arc at someone( although he is a 6 so he has a lot more say in that interaction.

but empire might take the cake, reapers are hard to get use to and have the upsilon problem of really wanting a multi turn plan when going into a fight and actually die so much easier then upsilons

strikers aren’t a walk in the park either outside of duchess...and they really don’t want to be shot but don’t have a lot of say in the matter, tie swarms have very important decision making on when to stay together and when to break, and tie advanced are well....hard because their bad outside of vader....and even vader for sure takes effort especially without supernatural. 

So yeah I think empire by a little bit

Absolutely rebels.  I have spent hours trying to optimize Biggs+3 and I have no idea what's optimal.  While empire might not look stronkest its good builds are pretty obvious, as are resistance and fo.  Scum...I'm pretty sure scum has some neglected merit but I'm pretty sure I won't find it myself.

Imo when asked that question I think of hardest to play but a high ceiling in power. Personally (even though Im not a competitive imp player) I have to say swarms and ace archetypes are the "hardest" in general and no faction has a more famous swarm then the tie swarm and a more famous ace ship then soontir himself, not forgetting the likes of Vader.

Edited by K13R4N

Assuming you meant faction most difficult to play, I voted resistenze. 

S-foil t70s are the hardest thing I have ever saw in this game, maaaaybe only control brobot beated it, but it was mostly due having to know the matchup rather than amounts of difficult and blind choices you have to make 

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

What do you mean by thinking? This is an extremely open question.

My initial reaction was 'while playing' but it makes no sense at all to ask this at a faction level. 3 Firesprays play very different than 3 Fangs.

So maybe you mean 'while listbuilding'? But that is again extremely open.

Empire has not so many options for competitive hyperspace, but the few they have can be very good.

Scum is tricky to build due to many small fillers. There are several good puzzles to build, but they all need a lot of thought on the details.

Resistance has a huge range of good combinations. That means there is less fine tuning than Scum or Empire and more large decisions.

And so on. So it really depends on what you mean.

Unless of course you are only interested in what the community does with an open question like that.

If the question was, “who does the most over thinking of questions about thinking”, I’d vote @GreenDragoon 

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I would agree if the answers in this thread were not split as nicely. It is now obvious that the question was misunderstood by at least half the people.

It is indeed something to think about.... wait... d'oh!

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I would agree if the answers in this thread were not split as nicely. It is now obvious that the question was misunderstood by at least half the people.

Maybe it's not one or the other, but both list-building and in-game flying.

Personally, I think it's all equal, though the more ships you have the more in-game thinking there is because you increase the number of decisions you have to make.

5 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Maybe it's not one or the other, but both list-building and in-game flying.

Personally, I think it's all equal, though the more ships you have the more in-game thinking there is because you increase the number of decisions you have to make.

Sure and I agree that both questions are interesting to ask. But as soon as there is a difference in answer between the two (eg listbuilding: scum; playing: empire) it makes the answers unusable

5 hours ago, player3010587 said:

As a SNR main, I feel honored, but dang, have you seen top play Resistance usage? That stuff is lit!

Oh no doubt, there's a reason I picked it going into 2.0.

I just mean that The First Order really requires serious thought.

Can empire roll blanks on offense or defense and be like "Nah, I got this"?

Can empire reinforce any of their stuff?

Can empire play damage distribution bingo and spread a a couple proton torps around for more than one single attack?

Can empire realistically field 30+ health backed by more shields than a typical empire list has in overall health and toss a fist full of red dice a turn?

Can empire get a free k-turn/sloop once every three turns?

Does the empire have a high init torp carrier?

Does the empire have access to anything with more than one arc?

Does the empire have an ace other than Vader that can actually clench and live through a three dice attack?

7 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Actually it’s a feature for me. Why I love Strikers and Reapers. I love those weird flying ships.

Massed aileron-capable ships definitely tax the noggin whilst playing.

Swarms too, for that matter, though both the Empire, the First Order and Scum can field capable 7-ship swarms, albeit surprisingly different ones given that they're all just riffs on "7 TIE fighters". 

16 hours ago, viedit said:

Can empire?

Yeah, I was vacillating on getting into my first faction in 2.0, but the more I think on it, I'm finding what @viedit did.

So, I want to change my vote @Boom Owl. I don't think Empire is the hyperspace faction that requires the most thinking, because no one is going to fly it; therefore no one will have to think about it at all...

I'm out.