Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Fickle Dice! What's your worst experience with your dice?

I was playing objectiveless (passing initiative), and it was my turn to begin the round with initiative. I had successfully double arched a Victory 2 (that had also double arched me) with a Pelta. I launch a bunch of squadrons and completely strip it of shields and chip the hull down to 3 remaining of the 10 (it's carrying Motti). I'm on an ensured crash course, so I only need 2 damage from the attacks.

First roll: 2 blues, 2 reds. Result: 2 blue accuracies, 2 red blanks

Second roll 1 blue, 1 red. Result: 1 blue accuracy, 1 red blank.

The Vic fires on my Pelts which has full shields and only 1 damage card from the collision, I'm destroyed.

I have 2 favorites.

I had an ISD with no shields and no defense tokens in a dual arc of my ISD-I at short range from both arcs turn 6, a kill wins me the game. The enemy ISD has 4 hull left. I get 2 hits total so even a ram doesn't kill it.

My second is I rolled a total of 15 black dice across several attacks and scored 15 blanks...

I was trying out the Sector Fleet rules a couple days ago, and we were playing 2 player teams. We had 600 points per player. I built an Ackbar list, using one of each Mon Cal large base, and 2x MC30s. Home One managed to get double side arcs on 2 damaged ISDs, each down to less than half health and no shields. The ISD at long range (carrying Motti) only received 2 damage from 6 red dice. everything else was blanks. Out the other side, that ISD only took 3 damage from 6 reds and 2 blue, rolling damage on the blues and one red. Ackbar rams, bringing the ship to one health. Ackbar proceeded to die from a Gozanti that had a con-fire dial and an opening salvo token.

Regional competition.  I'd gone squadron-heavy, nearly maxed, split between aces and TIE Bombers.

So, sure, have Dengar+Howlrunner+Soontir+Mithel.

Enemy Vader (pilot) zips up, and takes an FC shot at my Soontir...ACC-ACC-HIT-HIT-HIT.  *Pop*, Fel gone.  Jendon backs him up for a second shot at Howl.  ACC-ACC-HIT-HIT/CRIT (and since Vader uses crits for damage)…*pop*, Howl gone in next shot.

Okay, fine, but he's maneuvered his Gozanti too close, and so my 5 TIE Bombers+my Jendon = effectively 6 attacks, AND I have BCC backing it up, so that ship will obviously be dead....orrrrr….I roll so many blanks, even after re-rolls, and not a single hit+crit, so that it doesn't even get damage through to the hull.  😐

Not gonna lie, I was pretty rattled at that point...

Not mine, but my opponent had appalling dice luck at the apex of one of our battles.

He had an MC30 that he managed to tuck in next to my ISD2 flagship and absolutely ream - between earlier damage and an amazing double arc attack, ISD was stripped of shields and dropped to three hull points (and this was carrying Motti) - before zipping off into my rear arc. Worse, he had an LMC80 in prime position (front arc, medium range) ready to finish the job.

Said MC80 proceeds to *completely* flub its attack. Just a flurry of accuracies and blanks, plus a single hit hit that I was able to negate with the use of the Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer title. Even better, when the next turn rolls around (and I had initiative), I proceeded to use that Star Destroyer to go on a rampage. I slapped down the MC30 with my rear guns (it had no rear shields due to a redirect from earlier in the game), and blasted apart the MC80 with my front arc, then - just for good measure - in the movement phase I managed to *just* sideswipe a nearby HMC80 that had a single hull point left in order to finish it off. Three kills in one turn basically crippled his fleet and was thoroughly satisfying for me.

Edited by darkknight109

I did my first SC, I was flying 2 Arquitens, 1 Victory, and 1 Demo. Blockade Run. My enemy flew an ISD that had taken some damage into range of my two Arquitens. The lead Arquitens fired and rolled pretty average, but had taken up a lot of his shields and tokens. The second, rolled up into the sky (praising the dice gods) and he called, "10 damage"

Ten damage on 5 dice.

His face dropped and I began to laugh. It was perfect.

But I've also rolled nothing in an entire turn. The Dice Gods are displeased with me.

My worst? Rerolling four blank reds into an accuracy and three blanks. I can't remember a game where I've had bad rolls the entire game.

Happened to my opponent though. His Dodonna MC75 with OE and ACM went head to head with my Interdictor. He kept on rolling blanks on his black dice, even after rerolls, and my Interdictor kept getting HIE crits. My Interdictor killed it with plenty of hull to spare. (I had Vader, Captain Brunson and Targeting Scramblers, but I didn't even need to use TB and Vader much that game, if at all)

I typically have lower than average results in whatever dice I use, but for me it feels worse to have fickle green dice from X-Wing strike than for fickle attack dice in Armada.  Both suck to be sure, but it feels alot worse when those dice result in your ships being destroyed.  With attacks, there is still a chance you can rally next turn to deal some damage.  When your roll kills your ship, I would like to flip tables at that point. :)

One thing I like about this game is that I never blame the dice for a bad game, I lose because I make bad decisions not because of bad luck.

Having said that, my funniest experience was when a friend of mine managed to park a Hammerhead infront of my fully packed Kuat at short range. I mocked him really hard for doing that yet I managed to throw too many blanks and too many accuracies and he got away, and I became the joke :)

Second Player AG Ackbar MC80 (was very new to the Game to choose that obj...) with LS and a CF-dial came down to 2 damage with both salvos on a 3 health demo. Demo survived that Match. Ackbar did not.

Most unfortunate (well obviously not  for me) dicerolling I've seen to date

Edited by R4Pi3R

I rolled 7 die a little too aggressively and lost 2 down an open vent. The others that stayed on the table were 4 blanks and an accuracy. I never recovered those two die... and the two rolled in their place were a blank and a hit. Can't say I had much worse than that lol

Edited by BlueSquadronPilot

Four of my fighters (I can't remember which ones; it was a long time ago) were surrounding a Liberty which had no defence tokens, no shields, and only 1 hull left. It was the sixth round. If I sunk the Liberty, I'd win.

You can see where this is going. Not a single hit from four attacks.

4 hours ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

I rolled 7 die a little too aggressively and lost 2 down an open vent. The others that stayed on the table were 4 blanks and an accuracy. I never recovered those two die... and the two rolled in their place were a blank and a hit. Can't say I had much worse than that lol

When I play with my Dad or brothers, we have a home rule where if you cant hit the table with a dice, your soldiers cant hit their target. And when my friend is over playing at my house we maintain this home ruling. We ruled you can still use a reroll if you have one, but otherwise any dice that miss the table count as misses.

Many a game has been swayed because of one rogue dice missing the table. Our first game of Armada, we were running the stuff out of the core set trying to figure it out. I roll for my Victory's shot against the CR90, and 2 dice fall off the table. Man, I didnt hear the end of that for weeks.

45 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

When I play with my Dad or brothers, we have a home rule where if you cant hit the table with a dice, your soldiers cant hit their target. And when my friend is over playing at my house we maintain this home ruling. We ruled you can still use a reroll if you have one, but otherwise any dice that miss the table count as misses.

Many a game has been swayed because of one rogue dice missing the table. Our first game of Armada, we were running the stuff out of the core set trying to figure it out. I roll for my Victory's shot against the CR90, and 2 dice fall off the table. Man, I didnt hear the end of that for weeks.

I kind of like that rule. May have to see how my friend feels about it 

57 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

When I play with my Dad or brothers, we have a home rule where if you cant hit the table with a dice, your soldiers cant hit their target...

This I've never implemented, but I like.

The general rule I have when playing is that any dice and land on or hit the board are removed. This is not the case in Armada, but it is very important in Risk, Catan, Imperial Assault, etc. Dice that land on the board are almost always knocking over pieces.

I'd like to share a fickle dice story, but mine are all pretty average. No super highs and no incredible fails.

I have terrible luck with reds. Blacks are fine but reds hat me. My recordwas 8 reds on 2 arcs, with rerolls. Result: 6 balnks, 2 accuracies.

I can't remember the actul build but I have the result on photo on my old phone. Both me and my opponent were laughinh hard and called some friends over from the other tables to admire my rolls. That roll was of course the turning point of the match...

Edited by Norell

My first one that stuck with me was Indy Regionals 2016 vs. a Motti list. I need 1 damage from 4 red dice to kill Motti's flagship and cascade kill all but one of his other ships. Zero damage.

My most recent one was at Chicago Regionals 2018. My fleet is down to just a Pelta, BCC GR75, and all my squads. Ahead of me, I face a juicy 180-point Home One with a red Brace 3 hull and no relevant shields when I have just Keyan and double-arc long-range Pelta shots. Keyan rolls hit/crit-blank, BCC reroll blank, special reroll blank. He discards Brace. Pelta rolls side arc at long range: blank. Pelta rolls front arc at long range: blank-blank. He repairs to recover shields and makes it impossible for my remaining squads to finish it off.