Bucknife

5 Barrage Gunboats

15 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Lol. Calm down.

It's not that good. It's 1 more HP per ship than 5 Cartel Marauders, but requires focus tokens to have the same attacking output and can't ever get 4 red dice at range 1. 

And no one is using Cartel Marauders. 

Yes, SLAM is good for disengaging in a way the Kihraxz can't, but the Khiraxz doesn't need to spend its action just to shoot 3 dice, and the Kihraxz has a better dial. The fact that it can k-turn and tallon roll means it can turn around and shoot in the same turn. The Gunboat can't do that. The Gunboat also can't shoot with 3 dice if it's stressed. The Kihraxz can and has better blues to shed that stress.

And getting five ships to focus fire is not easy. Getting five ships to focus on one or two enemy ships with all of them getting an action is even harder. If any of those Gunboats bump or go over an obstacle, they don't get their 3 dice attack. The Kihraxz doesn't care. 

The SLAM is the big differential for the Gunboat, no doubt. I would say it's enough to make them better than 5 Cartel Marauders, but it's something that only a good player can exploit. Especially as any bumps also block the SLAM. 

This is not an OP, autowin net list. I would say an average or worse player would have a terrible time trying to leverage the strengths of 5 BR Gunboats, because any bad maneuvers and it all falls apart.  

WELL I LIKED IT ; _ ;

I don't even want an Autowin list tbh though, those aren't fun. It's not a game anymore if it's a too-good-to-lose list.

Glad they're not in Hyperspace, and probably won't return to the game proper for a few years... if ever. There's really no need for them in HS anyways, and there's at least 6 other imperial ships that will land before it. FFG is setting factional balance firmly at the forefront of design. And the TIE Bomber fits the faction better in that regard and is full Canon. 

Me, I prefer to focus on HS then playing the gradual game space degradation of Extended ships that will probably never make it back. Nothing against anyone else who does, though. Enjoy the game as you want. 

17 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

I don’t see the fuss to be honest. They’ve got to kill you on the first pass as the title won’t work on barrage rockets and they’ll never get a coordinated attack again after the first round.

Are we sure the title doesn't work on Barrage Rockets? 

45 minutes ago, Goseki1 said:

Are we sure the title doesn't work on Barrage Rockets? 

It could work, but you need to have then both Lock (to fire ordnance while disarmed by OS-1) and Focus (to fire barrage rockets), that is impossible to achieve by these gunboats.
Even if they equipped Advanced SLAM to be able to get the Focus after SLAMming, they would need to also have a Lock from a previous round. Anyway, in this case there doesn't fit 5 Advanced SLAM Nus anymore.

Well, they have won a tournament. So there is that. But I would really want to see that game to check how their make it work.

Edited by Azrapse

3 hours ago, Estarriol said:

I don’t see the fuss to be honest. They’ve got to kill you on the first pass as the title won’t work on barrage rockets and they’ll never get a coordinated attack again after the first round.

You won’t kill everything first pass. That’s not how the game works. The title does not work for slam and fire either. You know what does? Disengage and reset your attack. Out play your opponent. This stuff works but you have to be thinking.

5 hours ago, Estarriol said:

Mostly, I think it's that this seems like the best mass gunboat list yet, maybe best gunboat of any kind yet.

• Ion Cannon without Ordnance is kinda cool, but kinda low damage.  Maybe it needs to have an ace mixed in (3 Ion Nus with ASLAM and Vader or Whisper, 4 Nus with just Ion and Soontir, etc) to help finish ships off.
  • Proton Torpedo or Ion with Ordnance builds are really expensive per ship, maybe decent enough filler, but list of 4 loaded generics is kinda sketchy.
  • Vynder is an OK ace, if you really want to fly a gunboat, but certainly not a top-5 ace in the faction.
  • Karsabi? Ha.

So in comes the realisation that, maybe using the tricks of OS-1 or XG-1 aren't as important as the raw efficiency of Barrage Rockets.  And it does decent.  5 ship lists are hot right now, this has a lot of firepower, and it moves in an interesting way.  Sure, you could just play Rebels with Leia and have white K-Turns and it'll be great.  But there's also something fun about SLAM and how different it feels.  It's the 7-Up Uncola of the current jousting list trend.

I guess I don't really believe the hype that this is going to be a list to make the cut at the next big tournament or such.  But is it a totally viable list for a gunboat fan lost in the desert?

Edited by theBitterFig

8 hours ago, Estarriol said:

No, they definitely do work with the OS-1 Configuration.

Requirements:
Exactly 1 disarm token.
Missile or torpedo attack.
Have a lock on the target.

Which one of these requirements would not be met when using barrage rockets?

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

4 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Requirements:
Exactly 1 disarm token.

I mean, a focus token too to use the barrage rockets. Which requires advanced slam, which is too expensive for five. You can in fact get it to work, but it's not super easy.

1 hour ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Requirements:
Exactly 1 disarm token.

My point was you need a target lock and a focus to fire the things if you SLAM which isn’t that great. It was lazy wording. A thousand pardons. It pretty much means a turn when you can’t shoot (unless you’ve used primaries on the turn you get your target lock I guess) to avoid which is the precise purpose of the title. It’s a low PS list which requires perfect manoeuvres and your opponent letting you get away with it.

32 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

My point was you need a target lock and a focus to fire the things if you SLAM which isn’t that great. It was lazy wording. A thousand pardons. It pretty much means a turn when you can’t shoot (unless you’ve used primaries on the turn you get your target lock I guess) to avoid which is the precise purpose of the title. It’s a low PS list which requires perfect manoeuvres and your opponent letting you get away with it.

In this case, no. The point of the title is just to load on barrage rockets.