Sign in to follow this  
GILLIES291

Jabba's Realm versus Return to Hoth? New player help

Just have the core set and we picked up primarily to play the coop app game, but my gamer group is looking to try out the standard 5 player game next week and I was looking into picking up one the expansions that is app-supported.

So for quality of experience in the app and for the traditional 1 vs 4 campaign which expansion do you recommend? And why? Any help is appreciated!

13 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

Just have the core set and we picked up primarily to play the coop app game, but my gamer group is looking to try out the standard 5 player game next week and I was looking into picking up one the expansions that is app-supported.

So for quality of experience in the app and for the traditional 1 vs 4 campaign which expansion do you recommend? And why? Any help is appreciated!

They are both good expansions, I personally like the Jabbas Realm campaign a little better because the rebels have a "choice" to make which influences the direction the story goes. Also as far as units that come in the box, Jabbas Realm includes Weequay Pirates, Gamorrean Guards, a Rancor(!), Jet Troopers and all three heroes that are included are pretty strong (Shyla and Vinto are both very strong, and Onar can absolutely be a beast with immunity to conditions and Don't Make Me Hurt You at 4xp). You will get the tokens and deployment cards for Jabba, Captain Terro and Jedi Knight Luke as well (need the ally/villain packs to get the plastic figures). Lastly, the two included Imperial player Class decks are Nemeses and Hutt Mercenaries. Hutt Mercenaries is supposedly very strong, I haven't played it yet. Nemeses is fairly strong, but it might be the most fun, its all about getting villains on to the table. If you go this route, Nemeses can be a really fun and thematic way to play, because who doesn't like having Greedo or Bossk or Vader running around on the table?

If you do decide to go that route, you may want to look at this page http://cards.boardwars.eu/Ally-and-Villain-Packs/ and look and see what villains you want to include in the campaign (Nemeses allows you to automatically earn 1 bounty hunter villain and 1 empire villain to start - then you can add one of those to your open groups each mission).

All of this isn't to say Hoth is bad, that was a really fun campaign and the snow tiles are fantastic. I am going to run another Hoth campaign with my group in a month or two. The three heroes are decent as well, I just like the Jabba ones a tiny bit better.  The Hoth digital campaign (I still have the finale to play) has been a total blast thus far, they really keep improving as they release them.