KCDodger

Who's the fool?: Rule dispute.

11 minutes ago, BojambaMcMamba said:

What then, do people think would happen if FFG eliminated the simultaneous fire rule?  If you want to move second, you'd risk your ships being removed before they got to fire.  Would that make a more even, or less even choice between being first player or second player?

Would this increased the bids people took, or decrease them?  Would people take more high init pilots, or fewer?

It would balance the "I5/I6 I move last" issue, but UTTERLY ruin the generics game. 

For example: I1 TIEs vs I1 X-Wings. 

Whoever has initiative would murder the other guy, since all his ships are essentially "P.s.-killing" everything in the matching list across from him. 

Bids would go through the roof, and matched low-I squads would probably disappear. 

5 hours ago, Bucknife said:

Well, I happen to think that if an X-Wing loses a shield from an obstacle when nobody is around to hear it, then it probably never happened. 

Just my opinion. 

It's less important whether anyone hears it, and more important whether your opponent sees it.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:28 AM, Captain Lackwit said:

That's stupid. Why would I ever want initiative?

>:[]

BUH

dear god why would I ever want initiative

That's stupid! Why reward THINKING about the right choice and not MAKING it?

WHY WOULD I WANT INITIATIVE

It's not called initiative it's called first and second player. 

Aces always want to go second, better to reposition to not be shot than hope you arent. 

Lower Int blocker pilots with aces in the build still want to move second, it's rare that you will need to worry about a int 1 guy, being blocked by another int 1 guy.

going first means you are less likely to get target locks, but you are more likely to go where you want and have a focus or something as well

Edited by Archangelspiv

Clearing stress on blues, regardless of success isn't stupid, it's a choice.  If they're clearing stress, there's far fewer places they can be which means you can force blocks, or they can opt to keep the stress and not get actions for maneuvers that are harder to predict.  The mechanic works fine...unless you're playing Zari Bangel, in which case you just do what you want anyways :P

On 2/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

I played against a guy recently who was "Teaching" X-Wing and figured, maybe he knew things I didn't.

No. He was a moron. To examples.

1: He believes Initiative is... Well, if I have initiative, I move AND shoot first, according to him. Pardon me, but then why would I ever want initiative?
2: He thinks stress is cleared when you REVEAL, not COMPLETE, a blue maneuver. That's just rewarding your dial choice regardless of bumping and that's dumb.

I think he's very, very wrong.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

Well, I didn't call him those names, none of you know the guy, it's QUITE apparent I'm wrong to the point of not needing to admit it, but please, by all means, keep browbeating me. Go ahead, if it makes you feel better, keep ******* doing it.

I try to. But every time I turn around there's another dumb rule dispute I either don't understand or has just come up and it's frustrating.

I mean, if I don't want initiative, like, if my list genuinely doesn't want it, why shouldn't I fatbuild?

Thank you.

Literally called him a name.

Anyhow, if you don't care about the choice of being first player, then it makes sense to take up as many points as possible. In my albeit limited experience, I've found that more people want to go second than first, as flying the sort of swarm of I1 and I2 is, in some ways, more effort than flying a few high I pilots. So even if you build to 200, and the other person turns up with a large bid, they're still more likely than not to give you first player. 

8 hours ago, player3679152 said:

Literally called him a name.

Anyhow, if you don't care about the choice of being first player, then it makes sense to take up as many points as possible. In my albeit limited experience, I've found that more people want to go second than first, as flying the sort of swarm of I1 and I2 is, in some ways, more effort than flying a few high I pilots. So even if you build to 200, and the other person turns up with a large bid, they're still more likely than not to give you first player. 

to him directly
inference is hard i guess

Still, that's interesting. Guess it makes sense to go in with me ~10pts of bidding. Hard to lose the bid with that big of a gap, unless the other guy is THAT paranoid.

9 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Still, that's interesting. Guess it makes sense to go in with me ~10pts of bidding. Hard to lose the bid with that big of a gap, unless the other guy is THAT paranoid.

We had a guy at our local event yesterday with a 16 point bid, more than 3x as deep as any other...

On 2/23/2019 at 3:59 AM, rawbean said:

Technically it's 'suffering' damage isn't it? :P

I suffered damage from reading this thread.

ITT: at least one poster living up to their screen name.

Thank you to everyone who actually actively helps fellow players understand the game correctly.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, SpiderMana said:

Blue maneuvers are blue because it's the simplest thing for the pilot and/or chassis to handle in any given situation.

Apparently it is harder for Vader to fly slowly straight than fly slowly at a slight angle.

1 hour ago, Skitchx said:

Apparently it is harder for Vader to fly slowly straight than fly slowly at a slight angle.

Because the ship naturally wants to fly faster than that. He's gotta actively pull it back a touch to go that slow. The angle actually does add some distance, so it stands to reason that leaning to the side can slow it down a touch without losing so much speed that it's white.

Plus you know it's a game and mechanics don't always tie perfectly to flavor.

4 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Because the ship naturally wants to fly faster than that. He's gotta actively pull it back a touch to go that slow. The angle actually does add some distance, so it stands to reason that leaning to the side can slow it down a touch without losing so much speed that it's white.

Plus you know it's a game and mechanics don't always tie perfectly to flavor.

I know I know. It's all tongue in cheek. I just think it's funny that a straight 1 maneuver for the Advanced x1 is "harder" than a bank 1 and like to bring it up as often as I can. Heck, at least it has a 1 straight now instead of not having it at all.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

You definitely can. I did it when I posted about the Wave IV article, because I originally did it in all caps, but that got old quickly.

Ooh.  I'm sure in the past I've had typos in my thread topics and couldn't change them.  Is it hidden?

Edited by mazz0