Smudger13

Community help needed - Empire/TIE X1

Hi all. Dedicated bucket head here having a slight hyperspace crisis.

I find myself... drawn to the Resistance!

Not a fan of swarms. Love the Striker, but they die so fast! The Reapers dial and movement... not for me. 

The X1 is a ship I really enjoy and I’d like to think there’s something there, but it seems to be that the TL requirement to gain any kind of offensive power is a massive stumbling block to the ship being viable. 

Anyone got any lists using multiple X1s? 

Perhaps with a Striker ace like Duchess in there as well? 

Or is this a case of wait till the rotation? 

it's simple, really.

tempest

(38) Tempest Squadron Pilot
(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

Total points: 200

I was looking at Adv Sen, Elusive Ved Foslo, seems a fun ship. Adv Sen on x1s in general struck me as useful. 3 greens and a focus on the initial engage then the ability to grab a TL on the subsequent K-turn or T-roll might have some legs. Quite fancy 3 Adv Sen Storm Squadron Pilots with a dangerous flanker like Pure Sabacc. Any of the named Strikers would fit though.

Like so-

TIE Advanced x1 - Storm Squadron Ace - 51 Storm Squadron Ace - (40) Marksmanship (1) Advanced Sensors (10)

TIE Advanced x1 - Storm Squadron Ace - 51 Storm Squadron Ace - (40) Marksmanship (1) Advanced Sensors (10)

TIE/sk Striker - •“Pure Sabacc” - 46 •“Pure Sabacc” - Confident Gambler (44) Trick Shot (2) Total: 199/200  

Had very little actual table time with the x1 though, so can't really testify to it's effectiveness. Does feel like it has some potential though, even though it has to go down as hard mode. Once they have a lock, they're really quite powerful, it's getting to that point that is the difficult bit.

Edited by Cuz05

To me, x1s seem like they often need a bit of support  In hyperspace, something like Jendon won't work.

Maarek/Vader/Reaper feels nice (maybe even with Proton Rockets!  On aces, that's a good way to make the TL requirement for the primary attacks a lot easier to handle).  It can be kitted out in a bunch of different ways, but I'd start with Afterburners on both x1s, and FCS on Maarek (Vader can kinda get by without it, if there's something else you want).

I keep being fascinated by 4x Tempests and Howlrunner.  One issue that a 5x Tempest squad is going to face is that your offense will be really weak on offense the approach before you can get locks.  By swapping out one Tempest for a Howlie, you'll have Focus/Reroll on the approach, and after you take locks on the second round of combat, you'll ideally have a Howlrunner reroll, which might lessen the need for FCS, to allow Shield Upgrade on Howl.

My favorite build is Ved with Advanced Sensors and Predator. 

You're nigh unblockable, about 50 points,  can still get a lock, and gain the pre maneuver action without losing a re-roll, and have one of, if not the most, insane dials in the game. 

My current build is that Ved with Afterburners, Pure Sabbac with Fifth Bro/Juke, Rhymer with Seismics, Adv. protons, Marksmanship, and Seyn with marksmanship for 200. All are PS4, you can hit like a truck with 3/4 ships (Ved shoots 3/4 and deals crits, Rhymer shoots Five with Crits, and Sabbac shoots 4 with crits, and Seyn can just flat out deal damage and is an insanely effective tie figher for 31 points considering you usually only do one damage per shot if you're lucky with a normal roll). 

Oh yeah. And im pretty sure most of it is hyperspace, if not all. And you can swap points around if you want. 

best

Vader can already get the lock + focus on his own, and the price drop definitely helps. He can be used as a 70 (or 76 with afterburners) point piece in lots of lists with hate and fcs.

If you want Resistance-like ace play, you can do

Vader: FCS, hate, afterburners (76)

Soontir: Predator, stealth device (62)

Lt. Sai: Title, Palpatine, jamming beam (62)

Total: 200

Or if you want lots of them, you can go with

Vader: fcs, hate (70)

Maarek: fcs, marksmanship (49)

Tempest: fcs X2 (40 each)

Total: 199

Note- you can switch out the two tempests for Wampa and Sai with the title and jamming beam to keep the consistent offense and get Maarek the focus + lock for the first round of combat

Im gonna try this tonight (200):

-Tempest + FCS (40)

-Tempest + FCS (40)

-Jendon + Tractor beam (48)

-Delta Defender + FCS (72)

Both the defender and tempests desperately need that target lock that jendon gives so kindly. FCS will work great to keep the lock. Jendon's tractor can set up some deadly shots. This list should be decent for opponents who have low ship counts.

I really like the x1.  Dealing out more crits with every attack is really powerful, 3 agility plus 2 shields protects them from alpha strikes, and their new 1 straight maneuver gives you the freedom to slow roll them the first couple turns.  Vader might be my favorite ship in the game right now--at 65 points he's an absolute steal.  His best upgrades are pretty cheap too:  Hate, FCS, Afterburners are my go-tos.

All of the named pilots have their uses, which previous posters have nicely delineated, but Zertik Strom hasn't been mentioned, and that's a shame because he's AWESOME.   He is your blocker.  Jam him into the thick of it, target lock someone you hate, and you've done your job.  Spend his lock during end step to flip a damage card, do it all again next turn.  He doesn't need arc on the enemy to be useful, just to be around.

Here's a list with 4 x1s I've used with some success:

Maarek Stele (46)
Marksmanship (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Cluster Missiles (5)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (38)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Zertik Strom (42)
Fire-Control System (2)

Ved Foslo (45)
Crack Shot (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I totally misunderstood Zertik's ability. Somehow I missed the part that he doesn't have to be shooting to get his ability to go off. Like you said, lock someone you hate and ol' Zerty will give them a crit! I think he's going to find his way onto my roster very soon.

-------------------------------------------

Question about Vader for everyone:

If I have Cluster Missiles & Instinctive Aim, "While you perform a special attack, you may spend 1 [Force] to ignore the [Focus] or [Lock] requirement", can I still do a second shot with Cluster Missiles on a valid target?
Am I treating that as you would with the normal use of Cluster Missiles? In other words, is the second attack valid because I won't have a regular lock in place, do I have to spend another Force or are there any hang-ups that I'm not aware of that prevent the second attack?

Because as I interpret it, Vader can spend a single Force to use his Cluster Missile and still get the second attack if there's a valid target without any other requirements, yes?

On 2/24/2019 at 4:01 AM, ENesbit said:

All of the named pilots have their uses, which previous posters have nicely delineated, but Zertik Strom hasn't been mentioned, and that's a shame because he's AWESOME.   He is your blocker.  Jam him into the thick of it, target lock someone you hate, and you've done your job.  Spend his lock during end step to flip a damage card, do it all again next turn.  He doesn't need arc on the enemy to be useful, just to be around.

Agreed, with a "but" - Zertik Strom is amazing because he's a cheap, hard-to-stop way to flip damage cards. 

Thanks to Advanced Targeting Computer, a pretty high proportion of the damage cards inflicted by a primarily TIE/x1 squad are going to be face-up anyway. He's great, but I think he's better supporting regular TIE fighters than other TIE advanced.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, Cow-of-Doom said:

My favorite build is Ved with Advanced Sensors and Predator. 

You're nigh unblockable, about 50 points,  can still get a lock, and gain the pre maneuver action without losing a re-roll, and have one of, if not the most, insane dials in the game. 

My current build is that Ved with Afterburners

I keep wondering about Outmanouvre - especially with Afterburners. Ved is "only" Initiative 4, but it's not hard to get on peoples flanks, and he's easy to ignore in favour of concentrating on old Tall, Dark & Asthmatic. 

TIE Advanced x1 - •Ved Foslo - 67
    •Ved Foslo - Ambitious Engineer (45)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        Advanced Sensors (10)
        Afterburners (6)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 57
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (46)
        Elusive (3)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Afterburners (6)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Darth Vader - 76
    •Darth Vader - Black Leader (65)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Afterburners (6)
        Hate (3)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I've not had a chance to get it on the table, but I like the idea of getting a support shuttle into the mix. Jendon gives out early locks, Tarkin helps to keep them up, and Krennic can give Maarek that extra bit of punch for his attacks. I want to upgrade Maarek's talent (Elusive seems pretty popular), but I am not sure if I should be trying to increase my bid or just use the points with only one I5 pilot.

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 63
    •Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        •Director Krennic (5)
        •Grand Moff Tarkin (6)
        •ST-321 (4)

TIE Advanced x1 - Tempest Squadron Pilot - 40
    Tempest Squadron Pilot - (38)
        Fire-Control System (2)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Zertik Strom - 44
    •Zertik Strom - Pitiless Administrator (42)
        Fire-Control System (2)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 49
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (46)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Fire-Control System (2)

Total: 196/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by Wildonion

On 2/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, Smudger13 said:

Hi all. Dedicated bucket head here having a slight hyperspace crisis.

I find myself... drawn to the Resistance!

Not a fan of swarms. Love the Striker, but they die so fast! The Reapers dial and movement... not for me. 

The X1 is a ship I really enjoy and I’d like to think there’s something there, but it seems to be that the TL requirement to gain any kind of offensive power is a massive stumbling block to the ship being viable. 

Anyone got any lists using multiple X1s? 

Perhaps with a Striker ace like Duchess in there as well? 

Or is this a case of wait till the rotation? 

Im in love with grand inquisitor crew right now. On a lambda shuttle, just ram in into the middle of the crowd and inquisitor gives coordinate actions to your ships AFTER the highest initiative enemy ship moves. So coordinate the lock.

I flew the following list in a tourney this past weekend and did great. If you want to fly two X1, I see no reason why you cant just run Maarek instead of Soontir.

Darth Vader (65)
Afterburners (6)

Maarek Stele (46)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Afterburners (6)

Captain Kagi (48)
Grand Inquisitor (14)
ST-321 (4)
Total: 194

Kagi keeps locks off your aces, so your only threat is focused attacks and not proton torpedos on your aces. Inquisitor gives you actions. Focus lock vader before he talons, then can boost with afterburners (did this constantly in tourney). Or grab that lock for maareks FCS, or focus him before he kturns/talons kicking on elusive, so he is now elusified with a focus token for defense. Inquisitor crew also gives Maarek some reposition maneuvers against I6 aces when they activate, Inquisitor can coordinate a barrel roll to Maarek :) 

For a hyperspace list, I can give ya one with Maarek and Dutchess, but not multiple X1s unless you want to drop dutchess for like Zertek Strom?

“Howlrunner” (40)

Iden Versio (40)

Maarek Stele (46)
Fire-Control System (2)

“Duchess” (42)

“Wampa” (30)
Total: 200

Dutchess doesnt need to use ailerons, so can stay with the crowd and gives you more red dice and another ace in the hole for mid/late game.

Edited by wurms

On 2/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, meffo said:

it's simple, really.

tempest

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

(2) Fire-Control System
Points 40

Total points: 200

Fun, but when you spam generics, it's a Feelsbadman (TM) moment when your opponent spams a list that is both more mobile and efficient than yours. There are a lot of generics that can be wielded to beat Leia squads of 4+ ships. Tempest Squad pilots are not those.

But if you want to meme with all X1's, maybe throw afterburners on an ace and have the block engage?

3 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Fun, but when you spam generics, it's a Feelsbadman (TM) moment when your opponent spams a list that is both more mobile and efficient than yours. There are a lot of generics that can be wielded to beat Leia squads of 4+ ships. Tempest Squad pilots are not those.

But if you want to meme with all X1's, maybe throw afterburners on an ace and have the block engage?

oh, i'm not playing this list, it's just an example of how to get the most out of the tie advanced x1. i hardly ever fly ships that don't have hard ones and blue turns.

leia swarms are very good, of course. maybe even top of the meta right now. i've never seen anyone fly this list or flown it myself (who the **** even owns five tie advanced x1s?), but it should be reasonably good - and of course it's hyperspace legal, which most iterations of the leia swarms i've seen are certainly not.

at least it's five ships with three agility and five hp each. they have low initiative and you really want to get a lock in to be able to dish out good amounts of damage. their dial i mediocre, but not bad. they have tallon rolls. i would enjoy seeing it played. not really looking to play it myself, though.

at the moment i'm flying a fanatical f/o swarm with six ships. i believe it's better than this and certainly a lot of fun. that's not what the ops question is about though.

afterburners is good and hyperspace legal. it's a bit on the expensive side if you're looking to field as many ships as possible, though - and that seems to be where the meta has been heading as of late.

have any lists that meet the ops requirements?

14 minutes ago, meffo said:

oh, i'm not playing this list, it's just an example of how to get the most out of the tie advanced x1. i hardly ever fly ships that don't have hard ones and blue turns.

leia swarms are very good, of course. maybe even top of the meta right now. i've never seen anyone fly this list or flown it myself (who the **** even owns five tie advanced x1s?), but it should be reasonably good - and of course it's hyperspace legal, which most iterations of the leia swarms i've seen are certainly not.

at least it's five ships with three agility and five hp each. they have low initiative and you really want to get a lock in to be able to dish out good amounts of damage. their dial i mediocre, but not bad. they have tallon rolls. i would enjoy seeing it played. not really looking to play it myself, though.

at the moment i'm flying a fanatical f/o swarm with six ships. i believe it's better than this and certainly a lot of fun. that's not what the ops question is about though.

afterburners is good and hyperspace legal. it's a bit on the expensive side if you're looking to field as many ships as possible, though - and that seems to be where the meta has been heading as of late.

have any lists that meet the ops requirements?

Leia has a lot of scary Hyperspace legal stuff (Y-wings, X-wings, who cares what your ships are so long as they are chunky), which is why I just take the easy path and use Kylo. With all of Leia's stuff being either low initiative or not that mobile, I'm assuming that Ved Foslo could be pretty good: dial a hard 2. You could execute any of the 3 turns--including the hard 1 not on the dial--to avoid being blocked. Or even better, throw on Advanced Sensors and then choose the maneuver in order to be blocked, although that tactic might hurt with ion turrets. He still looks decent as a bralwer whilst Vader or Marek (either with afterburners) brings up the flank.

But from what I've seen/heard/etc. of hyperspace X1's, nearly all of them rely on a support reaper--a vastly underrated ship.

18 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Leia has a lot of scary Hyperspace legal stuff (Y-wings, X-wings, who cares what your ships are so long as they are chunky), which is why I just take the easy path and use Kylo. With all of Leia's stuff being either low initiative or not that mobile, I'm assuming that Ved Foslo could be pretty good: dial a hard 2. You could execute any of the 3 turns--including the hard 1 not on the dial--to avoid being blocked. Or even better, throw on Advanced Sensors and then choose the maneuver in order to be blocked, although that tactic might hurt with ion turrets. He still looks decent as a bralwer whilst Vader or Marek (either with afterburners) brings up the flank.

But from what I've seen/heard/etc. of hyperspace X1's, nearly all of them rely on a support reaper--a vastly underrated ship.

kylo is way too expensive imho. would rather run blackout with trickshot or even just recoil with predator. my problem with the silencer is that the current model looks like a joke. a bad joke. ^_^ doesn't feel good to put on the table imo.

aces are great and all. problem is they mostly just melt. been running fenn. he's a beast, but can also be wiped out in an instant. you generally need more hp on the table. double bounty hunters with fenn may be good.

x-wings are not very tanky, but not very squishy either. the y-wing dial is just terrible. ion turret is very good. i think just u-wings with leia may be one of the best hyperspace lists. resistance with vennie and some a-wings is ok as well. doesn't do a lot of damage, but it's very tanky.

ved is a blast, of course. relying on one i4 ship is just not good enough, though.

the reaper should be played more, yes, you're right. but how to field it and what else to bring?

On 2/26/2019 at 3:31 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Agreed, with a "but" - Zertik Strom is amazing because he's a cheap, hard-to-stop way to flip damage cards. 

Thanks to Advanced Targeting Computer, a pretty high proportion of the damage cards inflicted by a primarily TIE/x1 squad are going to be face-up anyway. He's great, but I think he's better supporting regular TIE fighters than other TIE advanced.

You're not wrong, but think of the crits that do brutal things to the target and then immediately get flipped.  Panicked pilot or direct hit proccing twice will simply ruin most ships.

Edited by ENesbit
typo

The Reaper is finding it's way into most of my Imp lists atm. Given the prod on Zertiks ability, I came up with this....

TIE Advanced x1 - •Zertik Strom - 44 •Zertik Strom - Pitiless Administrator (42) Fire-Control System (2)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Darth Vader - 76 •Darth Vader - Black Leader (65) Fire-Control System (2) Afterburners (6) Hate (3)

TIE Reaper - •“Vizier” - 47 •“Vizier” - Ruthless Tactician (45) Tactical Officer (2)

TIE/ln Fighter - •Seyn Marana - 31 •Seyn Marana - Inferno Four (30) Marksmanship (1)

Total: 198/200 

Still puzzling out it's rules of engagement but it could be some janky fun.

Edited by Cuz05

2 hours ago, ENesbit said:

You're not wrong, but think of the crits that do brutal things to the target and then immediately get flipped.  Panicked pilot or direct hit proccing twice will simply ruin most ships.

Not a bad point. And Fuel Leak is just mean with Advanced Targeting Computer garuanteeing every attack has a Icon damage crit in it.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:31 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

I keep wondering about Outmanouvre - especially with Afterburners. Ved is "only" Initiative 4, but it's not hard to get on peoples flanks, and he's easy to ignore in favour of concentrating on old Tall, Dark & Asthmatic. 

TIE Advanced x1 - •Ved Foslo - 67
    •Ved Foslo - Ambitious Engineer (45)
        Outmaneuver (6)
        Advanced Sensors (10)
        Afterburners (6)

That Outmaneuver pick on Ved makes sense.  A little pricey (I was trying to work out a Ved+Strikers list... 3x Black Scouts with Crackshot and Afterburners is 202 points... the three named pilots with CS would fit, though), but cool.

It strikes me that a budget option might be Trick Shot.  Between Advanced Sensors and Hard 1 turns, Ved should have an easy time at dodging a rock at the last minute.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:47 PM, meffo said:

lol, guilty.  :D

Had three. Got the Raider, had four. The worst looking X1 went and sat on my desk at work. Mostly always ran some form of Vader, Eclipse and Steele, when I ran X1s.

Conversion kit had 2 dials. Wanted to play Vader, Marek and Ved at our local opening night 2.0 game. So I bought a 2.0 X1 expansion pack for that third dial. Later purchased 2 dials separate on ebay and brought the bad looking X1 home. That's how I came about 5 X1s.  And I don't mind, it's my favorite ship from the movies and was my first ship from Kenner when I was a kid.

Happy when they dropped points on Storm and Tempest squadrons. Been having fun locally with with five naked Storm Aces, and doing ok standings wise. Might try the Tempest squad with the FCS.