Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

Poll: which 1.0 meta pilot do you want back?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, wurms said:

None, let em rot

Yeah, most of those were destructive and way to common as net decking powers.

3 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

no Carnor Jax? he's probably the missing piece that allows interceptors to see table time again. 

I am really confused why he didn't make it too! Bad move FFG, bad move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

no Carnor Jax? he's probably the missing piece that allows interceptors to see table time again. 

I am all for more anything Interceptor.

Picked Ryad. Love. Defenders. Not that Ryad is bad, just that she is not really bringing enough offense for her points. The other Defenders have abilities that enhance their offense, and at the mid 80’s point range naked? Well you need more killing to be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with Dengar, as he had the biggest combination nerfs. He's ridiculously easy to stress. Want to move your firing arc? That'll be a stress token. Want to turn around? That'll be a stress token. Want to Barrel Roll? Stress token. Make a right turn? Stress token. Want to get rid of that stress? You're either going straight or banking left. To top it all off, he doesn't even have a Gunner.

His pilot ability and the Punishing One title both emphasize keeping things in your forward firing arc. This means you probably want to concentrate on using your stress for movement instead of rotating the arc. However, his terrible blues will make it pretty easy to avoid that, especially if he can't make a right turn while stressed. You can then try to move the firing arc, but that's going to lock you out of being able to turn around.

It was just a ridiculous overkill combination of nerfs, and I'm not sure what they can do to actually get him into a playable state. A Gunner slot would probably be the first place to start, as he could at least take a Hotshot or Agile Gunner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one Imperial pilot up there, and Rexlar is a monster to be reckoned with at I5 and with quite possibly the best ability a TIE Defender's ever had. Yeah, I'm going to vote "None of the Above...." I was wondering why 2nd edition felt healthy!

Jokes aside, let's look at why these former meta pilots are no longer meta, and see if it is good or bad for the game:

Asajj: Requires insane amounts of burst damage to plink away at her. She was never OP, but that doesn't mean she wasn't NPE. She's not unplayable now, but she could use a little help. Thankfully, hate is helping her out.

Dengar: "**** that bastard" --Everyone. "Oh yeah, him ******"--FFG. FFG had to nerf his buddy, nerf the automatic torpedo-shot talent, nerf another talent, nerf the auto-include "You lose, aces" droid, until they lost patience with how undercosted and versatile the ship was that they nerfed it to Sovngarde by being the only instance of 1st edition of actually removing slots!, and then decided that its ashes were unworthy of a hero's abode, and then nerfed said ashes to Oblivion in 2nd edition. I'd like to see him return, because I believe that he can be well-balanced given adjustable points, but sadly, the pitchforks and torches don't want him to return for PTSD related reasons. I don't know if I can be good unless undercosted, considering how they made his ship utter garbage.

Ryad: This is exactly why the defender doesn't have the mod slot and why Lone Wolf is a recurring charge. This pest will not die, and it did not matter how much damage you pump into her. It wasn't so much her ability but her chassis that was amazing. Her ability was a nice little "tone down that ******* R3-A2/Rebel Captive/other bull" by being able to do what she was designed to do during that nonsense. Now, her ability is good, and the spirit of it remains: no, it's not meant to clear stress, but you have the choice of going forward or turning, and you now have white 2, 3, and 5 k-turns. She's nice and all, but Rexlar is way better. AND PLEASE FFG: Even from someone who loves his defenders, I'm begging you to never give the Defender a mod slot. It would be a point of regression into 1st edition.

Zealot: He was fun and cool, but boring. Basically you picked him for cheap crack, which is now nerfed; 5 strikers but with actual health, which FFG is preventing by the cheapest X-Wing being 41; and because for once in the game, non-Biggs X-Wings were good!!!!! I'd like to see some interesting illicits come to the game, as it might give incentive to take the Zealot. But a game with or against 5 zealots does not sound exciting.

Miranda: It wasn't so much her ability was broken, but combined with TLT, and add some Bombs and Sabine/C-3PO: she was degenerate. I wouldn't mind seeing Miranda come back instead of being 2nd place to Esege (what a strange world we live in!), but if she were to return a la 1st edition, the player base is going to shrink over night.

Nym: same story as Miranda, different reasons slightly. Like Dengar, he had to be nerfed multiple times before FFG nerfed his playstyle by making 2nd edition a game about flying and not as much deckbuilding. I'd like to see him on the table, especially with Clone Wars stuff (of which he was a veteran) approaching.

Lothal Rebel: neat ship without tricks. But all the tricks, all the exploits of 1st edition's over-sighted loopholes, chinks, and over-powered nature indicative of a bloating card game like Hearthstone or Magic: The Gathering...we do not speak of such evil.

Lowhrick: broken reinforce mechanic + broken evade mechanic + fairship rebels = WhAt CoUlD gO wRoNg? The spirit of his ability remains however, and he is overlooked, which is a shame, because he's actually cool and fair now.

 

TL;DR: How about "No"? Or a "Yes", if you change the essence of what these pilot's do, which would effectively still be a "No", because they would have the same models and names, but be drastically different game pieces.

 

 

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Only one Imperial pilot up there, and Rexlar is a monster to be reckoned with at I5 and with quite possibly the best ability a TIE Defender's ever had. Yeah, I'm going to vote "None of the Above...." I was wondering why 2nd edition felt healthy!

Jokes aside, let's look at why these former meta pilots are no longer meta, and see if it is good or bad for the game:

Asajj: Requires insane amounts of burst damage to plink away at her. She was never OP, but that doesn't mean she wasn't NPE. She's not unplayable now, but she could use a little help. Thankfully, hate is helping her out.

Dengar: "**** that bastard" --Everyone. "Oh yeah, him ******"--FFG. FFG had to nerf his buddy, nerf the automatic torpedo-shot talent, nerf another talent, nerf the auto-include "You lose, aces" droid, until they lost patience with how undercosted and versatile the ship was that they nerfed it to Sovngarde by being the only instance of 1st edition of actually removing slots!, and then decided that its ashes were unworthy of a hero's abode, and then nerfed said ashes to Oblivion in 2nd edition. I'd like to see him return, because I believe that he can be well-balanced given adjustable points, but sadly, the pitchforks and torches don't want him to return for PTSD related reasons. I don't know if I can be good unless undercosted, considering how they made his ship utter garbage.

Ryad: This is exactly why the defender doesn't have the mod slot and why Lone Wolf is a recurring charge. This pest will not die, and it did not matter how much damage you pump into her. It wasn't so much her ability but her chassis that was amazing. Her ability was a nice little "tone down that ******* R3-A2/Rebel Captive/other bull" by being able to do what she was designed to do during that nonsense. Now, her ability is good, and the spirit of it remains: no, it's not meant to clear stress, but you have the choice of going forward or turning, and you now have white 2, 3, and 5 k-turns. She's nice and all, but Rexlar is way better. AND PLEASE FFG: Even from someone who loves his defenders, I'm begging you to never give the Defender a mod slot. It would be a point of regression into 1st edition.

Zealot: He was fun and cool, but boring. Basically you picked him for cheap crack, which is now nerfed; 5 strikers but with actual health, which FFG is preventing by the cheapest X-Wing being 41; and because for once in the game, non-Biggs X-Wings were good!!!!! I'd like to see some interesting illicits come to the game, as it might give incentive to take the Zealot. But a game with or against 5 zealots does not sound exciting.

Miranda: It wasn't so much her ability was broken, but combined with TLT, and add some Bombs and Sabine/C-3PO: she was degenerate. I wouldn't mind seeing Miranda come back instead of being 2nd place to Esege (what a strange world we live in!), but if she were to return a la 1st edition, the player base is going to shrink over night.

Nym: same story as Miranda, different reasons slightly. Like Dengar, he had to be nerfed multiple times before FFG nerfed his playstyle by making 2nd edition a game about flying and not as much deckbuilding. I'd like to see him on the table, especially with Clone Wars stuff (of which he was a veteran) approaching.

Lothal Rebel: neat ship without tricks. But all the tricks, all the exploits of 1st edition's over-sighted loopholes, chinks, and over-powered nature indicative of a bloating card game like Hearthstone or Magic: The Gathering...we do not speak of such evil.

Lowhrick: broken reinforce mechanic + broken evade mechanic + fairship rebels = WhAt CoUlD gO wRoNg? The spirit of his ability remains however, and he is overlooked, which is a shame, because he's actually cool and fair now.

 

TL;DR: How about "No"? Or a "Yes", if you change the essence of what these pilot's do, which would effectively still be a "No", because they would have the same models and names, but be drastically different game pieces.

 

 

Asajj lost several components from 1E. PTL, Engine Upgrade, and Glitterstims are all gone from her. Latts and Evade tokens don't stack. Her pilot ability is no longer a mandatory stress, but instead the defender's option of either stress or losing a green token. None of these things are fatal, but they do make her very expensive for what she can do.

I already went into Dengar above. I don't know how they can make him into a ship that's effective, or even fun to fly, when there are so many things which give him stress and he has such a terrible time removing it.

Ryad's just too expensive at 84 points. She's not nearly as good as Rexlar now that all of her K-turns are white. Drop her into the 78-80 point range and she's fine. I don't think a modification slot would hurt her. She could maybe use Afterburners after a 3k? Not seeing anything else that would be problematic.

Nym should be fine now. His ability is the best of both worlds, he got a Gunner slot, and he's a tanky IN5. For 74 points, you can run him with Expert Handling, the Havok title, Bomblets or Proton Bombs, a Dorsal Turret, an R3 Astromech, FCS and a Veteran Turret Gunner. I think he's the only one that can combine VTG, FCS and an R3, which seems like a very powerful way to mess someone up.

Lothal Rebel: Much like Ryad, just needs a steeper price cut to compensate for the loss of two points of shielding. The chassis itself is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wurms said:

 

Carnor at 48pts for i5 interceptor would be great.

 

Paint a Silencer in Royal Guard colors and give the ship Hate. Caress it gently and refer to it as "Carnor." Is it a 2-charged force-sensitive interceptor? Close enough. Is it Carnor tho? *sobs silently, hunched in a corner* "Star Wars Legends are the true casualty of 1st edition! Was it all...worth it? What good was creating a healthy world for our boi, if he could not live to see it?!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two I can think of.  Tycho Celchu is one.  Having a high-init Rebel A-Wing with a really open dial would be a bunch of fun.

The other is Lieutenant Lorrir, but only if the bendy barrel rolls aren't red.  It'd be wicked sweet to use Autothrusters with those twists, and probably fair, since he'd be only like Init 3 or 4 or such.

Other than this?  I looked over all the pilots, and I don't think there's anything else I'd bring back.  Zeta Ace's long barrel rolls were cool, but kinda not enough to justify a pilot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

There are two I can think of.  Tycho Celchu is one.  Having a high-init Rebel A-Wing with a really open dial would be a bunch of fun.

The other is Lieutenant Lorrir, but only if the bendy barrel rolls aren't red.  It'd be wicked sweet to use Autothrusters with those twists, and probably fair, since he'd be only like Init 3 or 4 or such.

Other than this?  I looked over all the pilots, and I don't think there's anything else I'd bring back.  Zeta Ace's long barrel rolls were cool, but kinda not enough to justify a pilot.

Lt. Lorrir would be busted lol, ultimate blocker with the banked roll + boost every turn. (As much as I love the guy, he's probably too strong to exist in that form)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Lt. Lorrir would be busted lol, ultimate blocker with the banked roll + boost every turn. (As much as I love the guy, he's probably too strong to exist in that form)

Could be.  Might be fun to try out sometime, though.

He'd likely be around 44-46 points, and nearly fifty points into a blocker is pretty pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Thweek to return, both sides of his pilot ability were interesting.

For any 2.0 players who don’t know, He had 2 abilities, and you chose 1 to apply.

-Copy the pilot skill of any enemy pilot

OR

-Copy the pilot ability of any enemy pilot

He might be too strong if he keeps both choices, thus

-If he returned without the ability to copy an enemy’s initiative, he should be initiative 4.

-If he returned with the ability to copy an enemy’s initiative, he should be initiative 3, and when the target he copied dies, he reverts back to his initiative 3.

The reasoning for initiative 3 on the initiative copy version is just in case he fights a fleet of generics, he will still probably be top initiative which is necessary considering I imagine his point cost would be in Guri’s realm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...