Jump to content
Andreievitch

Beanstalk to Shadowrun?

Recommended Posts

I am still waiting (impatiently) for my book, but thought I would through this out there to see what people think.

How hard would it be to convert Beanstalk to Shadowrun?  I was thinking of using the Terrinoth book as the fantasy pivot, and bring in the other races and magic from there.

I did use this excellently formatted book for a recent game, but there are a lot of gaps.  I am now thinking of instead of having it be set the Shadowrun world, I will instead make a game of "what if the Awakening happened in the world of Shadows of the Beanstalk."  That way I can add in the fanatast elements, without needing to bring in the minutiae of Shadowrun lore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheSapient said:

Beanstalk plus Terrinoth equals Close Enough.

Hêll, SotB + CRB = Close enough. The CRB has magic and fantasy species, RoT doesn’t add enough to be necessary, since Heroic Abilities aren’t “a thing” in Shadowrun—you’re gonna want to use the Favour system from SotB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They aren't necessary, but RoT does have Crafting, as well as several alchemicals that can be reflavored as modern drugs (most notably Poison and Stamina Potions).

Craftsmanships could also be converted to represent the differences between various manufacturers (or tech levels)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cantriped said:

They aren't necessary, but RoT does have Crafting, as well as several alchemicals that can be reflavored as modern drugs (most notably Poison and Stamina Potions).

Craftsmanships could also be converted to represent the differences between various manufacturers (or tech levels)

Yep, very true. I keep forgetting that crafting is in RoT. I love it and use it often, but forget where it's found.

So while not needed, there is a lot of goodness in Terrinoth that would not go amiss in Shadowrun (or any other setting, for that matter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a 600+ page fan-made Shadowrun setting talked about here:  

 

A buddy of mine and I read it over about two weeks ago.  Granted its been about 20yrs since either of us played Shadowrun, but it looks to be pretty comprehensive of the game and supplements.

Note: he published his setting before SotB came out from FFG, so I haven't had the chance to compare the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Big Head Zach said:

Red flag already.

Yep. While it may be pretty, it's not great. It looks like he just took the expanded talents doc and copy/pasted straight into his document without thought for what talents were appropriate for Shadowrun.

Also, it says it's Genesys-compatible but it uses all SWRPG icons and stat blocks. And the colour for the dice are incorrect. The motivations, which should just be RP hooks that grant boost/setback in the right situation, now have fiddly minutia attached to them. It's just too much crunch for the purpose of having crunch. It's like he saw SR and said, "I need all the crunch in my document!" There are several weapons that are, mechanically, identical but with different prices because SR has them maybe? Not sure why. It's gearporn for the sake of gearporn. Fractional essense non-sense, etc.

I could go on, but I shan't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not recommend anyone use any of the settings written by Paul M N Haakonsen. They are rife with issues. Paul seems to lack a fundamental understanding of the Genesys system of building settings. He has no concern for how all the parts of the setting get used or interact with each other. He has no issues with taking other people's content without even a whisper of an acknowledgment of where he got it. It is not publisher quality. The images are horribly resized. The fonts are terrible and not being rendered properly. He somehow even messed up using the vector graphics that I have provided to the community.

I don't wish to be so negative about someone's stuff, but the level it get lauded is mind-blowing. Paul should continue making things, but needs to get and really listen to feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did find Haakonsen's adaption pretty, but missing large swags of things, especially considering its size!  Technomaners were barely covered...

That's why I am thinking the simplified SotB + RoT is the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to be clear: I’m not necessarily  advocating for that fan-made tome, merely highlighting that there has been work done that can be leveraged, if you see fit.

Our play group (a Star Wars and 5e focus currently), has talked about marrying up RoT and SotB to create a SR theme.  One of our guys is cherry picking bits from a couple of takes on Fallout, and ALOT of his own imagination and experience with the video and board games, to create an FO world for us to play in.

And even if one chooses not to use that SR fan material, once you have a skeleton of a setting, there is a slew of old SR adventures to use as the shell of a GeneSys SR adventure.  Just reskin some foes (the RoT and SotB Adversary decks are a good resource), determine the GeneSys difficutly of particular scenes or required skill checks, and away you go.   There’s folks doing exactly that to update classic WEG SW adventures to the FFG system...

Indeed, “less is more” might apply.  Focus on the tone of the game setting, and not how to replicate EVERYTHING from the old game, mechanically ... and you should be able to immerse players in the setting and scenes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Paul's Stuff is a big 500+ pdf, but it does not mean you have to use the whole PDF, just use parts of the book. If you like the Cybernetics just add Paul's cybernetics to the cybernetics in SotB, if you like the Magic System then pull the Magic System from Paul's  PDF. It is a Good Book for inspiration for Stuff, No Need to Bash someone else's work, No one Told you, you had to download someone else's work, especially since it is Free...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also consider this: It's an adaption of Paul's adaption but its approach is to add Shadowrun elements to Genesys instead of making Genesys more like SR. It also covers technomancers. It is a work in progress. 

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LmzWVaUsH0hNSslHxSR

There is a glitch so the GM Binder conversation to PDF is a bit spotty. 

I think it's the best SR adaption so far and only 75 pages or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, lyinggod said:

Also consider this: It's an adaption of Paul's adaption but its approach is to add Shadowrun elements to Genesys instead of making Genesys more like SR. It also covers technomancers. It is a work in progress. 

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LmzWVaUsH0hNSslHxSR

There is a glitch so the GM Binder conversation to PDF is a bit spotty. 

I think it's the best SR adaption so far and only 75 pages or so.

GM Binder sucks, just sat through 5 times trying to get a pdf file made. I really don't want to sign in just to download a file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gilbur said:

GM Binder sucks, just sat through 5 times trying to get a pdf file made. I really don't want to sign in just to download a file

It does have its quirks. This particular document tends to also take a long time to generate a PDF and it has some alignment issues once generated. As I understand it, mis-alignment issues can occur if the document author doesn't place column breaks just right. The kickstarter GM BINDER is currently running should allow them to fix these problems and add new features. 

For me, I just took the raw GM BINDER code (post CSS) and dumped it into indesign. A little bit of search/replace GREP magic to replace GM Binder structure with some paragraph and character styles and some quick application of cell and table styles and now I have an editable document that I can easily bend to my will.

If you are interested, here is the link to my PDF of it for my group. It is currently a work in progress and needs some tightening up. I have made some minor changes to the original version, adding Archetype and Career fluff and tweaked the Mystic Archetype. Additionally, the author has recently updated his version to change from using Essence on cyberware to a more Hard Point/modular approach. I like the Essence better so I have kept this in my version.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmK9yarW75NjizYC5G4eORQ6XqNd?e=xvOj7i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lyinggod said:

It does have its quirks. This particular document tends to also take a long time to generate a PDF and it has some alignment issues once generated. As I understand it, mis-alignment issues can occur if the document author doesn't place column breaks just right. The kickstarter GM BINDER is currently running should allow them to fix these problems and add new features. 

For me, I just took the raw GM BINDER code (post CSS) and dumped it into indesign. A little bit of search/replace GREP magic to replace GM Binder structure with some paragraph and character styles and some quick application of cell and table styles and now I have an editable document that I can easily bend to my will.

If you are interested, here is the link to my PDF of it for my group. It is currently a work in progress and needs some tightening up. I have made some minor changes to the original version, adding Archetype and Career fluff and tweaked the Mystic Archetype. Additionally, the author has recently updated his version to change from using Essence on cyberware to a more Hard Point/modular approach. I like the Essence better so I have kept this in my version.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmK9yarW75NjizYC5G4eORQ6XqNd?e=xvOj7i

Thanks, that helped quite a bit. Looks great too. To bad, you didn't add my qualities which I ported over from Shadowrun and add it to your file instead of his Merit/flaws

 

 

Edited by gilbur
updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...