Sign in to follow this  
acegard

Article: Never Get Diced Again!

Yea, good read. I can point future opponents using the standard go-to excuse of dice, to this article.  It is out of your control the final roll, so maximize the rest to give you the best probabilities.

Well articulated.  It's something I've often tried to put across - no amount of dice-fettling abilities will ultimately help you on the day the dice gods decide you're going down, but that is not the same as "there's nothing I could have done".

Whether it's rolling a shedload of dice with 'just focus' or a smaller lump of dice with target-lock-and-force, there's still the potential for the dice to come up tilt.

Don't assume that on the day it does, you did it wrong, and don't assume that on the day a ship of yours decides to dance between the laser bolts that you did it right.  

I can't agree more with the notion of determining if you made the right set of decisions regardless of the outcome. This is such a huge step to getting better. This is something I constantly look at myself playing tennis. Regardless of the outcome, did I choose the right shot for that situation.

A recent example for me was Vader (1 shield remaining) vs 2 X wings, behind him, but spread out. Having a lock on one, I chose the Talon Roll with an afterburners boost to arc dodge 1 of them, get into range 1 of the other X-Wing that had 2 hull left. Vader has a lock and 2 force vs his 2 die with a focus. I am a high chance of initiative killing him (87%), However he scrapes by with an inconsequential crit after rolling 2 focus results, with my force depleted. He then takes the shot back at my 4 health Vader and rolls 4 hits (he did have a lock, but didn't need it), Vader blanks and dies.

Looking at the odds, I felt I got it mostly right, take the (somewhat) aggressive play to take down this X-Wing, with a high expectation that I would only be taking the one shot even if it lived (albeit, highly modified). The odds of that outcome is quite low (like 1% when looking at the 13% chance the ship lives, and the 7% chance it can deal a killing blow) However, I note that I did leave myself open to variance in that instance. I was marginally down in points (totally mangled my early engagements) with Vader my only piece left, so it wasn't a defensive play (other than using offense as a defense). However, it also set me up well for the next turn to bug out as I would be up on points whilst the other X-Wing had to turn around. Was it worth it? I feel it was mostly correct looking at my choices, particularly as we were near time, and that kill secured me a points win.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:44 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Don't assume that on the day [the dice fail], you did it wrong, and don't assume that on the day a ship of yours decides to dance between the laser bolts that you did it right.  

Probably the most succinct way of putting that, thank you!

I kind of find myself blaming the dice more often for wins than losses.  When I get bad dice in a negative way it just makes me think of what I could have done to get better shots and take less overall, but when I take a bad shot and it lands it makes it harder for me to tell how much of my success is due to my own play, and I start asking myself questions like "how would things have gone if I didn't get that lucky kill that turned the game in my favor?"