Sign in to follow this  
Englishpete

Imperial MSU: Motor Torpedo Boats

I've been on the 'large ship' kick for nearly 2 years now (although there has been a distinct lack of play time in the last 12 months).

I decided I'd like to go back to small ship combat for a while. I used to run 3 Gladiators and 6 Firesprays, but that list has had it's day.

The following is a list I want to try and fly and see if I can't get it's win/loss ratio above 60/40.

I like Ozzel with MSU Raiders and Gladiators for the control he gives me on my speed and hence my positioning options. Navigate pretty much being the go to command on a list like this.

The bid in my area tends to be non-existent or 15+ so that's an area for further experimentation as last/first would be a big help I feel.

The objectives are chosen with very specific purposes in mind. Advanced Gunnery will go to Insidious, Hyperspace Assault to Demolisher or perhaps the anti-squad Raider with a couple fighter buddies. Dangerous Territory should see this list picking up most of the tokens.

I am not sure about the Raider set up as anti-squad, nor the squadron set up, but they may work and we'll test and see, but this is where tweaks are likely to occur.

Thoughts and positive feedback are welcomed.

Ozzel's MTB's
Author: Englishpete

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Ozzel

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
-  Admiral Ozzel  ( 20  points)
Demolisher  ( 10  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)
= 103 total ship cost

Raider I-Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points)
-  Flechette Torpedoes  ( 3  points)
= 54 total ship cost

Raider I-Class Corvette (44 points)
= 53 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
Vector  ( 2  points)
-  Taskmaster Grint  ( 5  points)
-  Expanded Hangar Bay  ( 5  points)
= 35 total ship cost

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
Insidious  ( 3  points)
= 76 total ship cost

1 Dengar ( 20 points)
1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points)
1 IG-88 ( 21 points)
1 Soontir Fel ( 18 points)
= 75 total squadron cost

Ah! A fellow member of the most distinguished Order of Imp MSUs!! After playing the all the big/medium Imperial fellas against Rebel MSUs since Armada released, I also figured it was time for the rise of the Imp MSU. 

I have been running my TF Inferno (see other post) for a few weeks now and have had a lot of fun, not to mention a lot of success against a broad range of different lists. I'm taking it to a regionals this weekend to see see how it runs in a more serious fight (and when my brain is fried from playing a bunch of games in a row). Here a some considerations based on my observations so far:

Ozzel is a great option for an MSU Commander, another option is Screed, to guarantee those crits. Although, OE rerolls should improve your black crit odds enough without him.

What I've found is that GSDs have the punch to destroy anything together, the key is usually being 1st player so you can leverage the Demo last-first as well as managing to double-arc your target. Unless you hyperspace him in of course, as you say. Insidious takes some planning, but is undeniably brutal when you pull off the double-arced shots at the rear hull zone.

I prefer ACMs over APTs on GSDs and External Racks (xrax) on Raiders., However, APTs can apply that critical that cripples the ship. Armada crits are butal at times and the double-damage card isnt always the best one. On the other hand, ACMs strip those shields quickly, limiting the use of redirect tokens and, where there's no shields left, adding up to 2 bonus damage cards. Xrax can help you punch a lot harder, but only at close range, so it's a high risk/high reward that relies heavily on timing so they dont pop before getting their shot off. Which leads to the next point...

Activations - Five activations may limit your options for positioning your ship at close range effectively, without endangering them under the guns of unactivated enemy ships. The combination of activations/ships and 1st player allows this set up. Then again, you've set up your objectives with specific tactics in mind, something I have focussed less on, relying instead on my large bid to secure 1st player. It sounds like your bid would have to be hefty to get that in your local meta though.

Anti-squad Raider would work well with a fighter screen. Perhaps Howly and Dengar with lots of TIEs would be more effective? I went without squads and I have had no issues going up against squad/bomber lists, but now I miss flying squads. (My campaign list is now an MSU/Carrier/bomber list). Kallus/Flechettes/OE are fun, maybe add Instigator to keep squads locked down for longer.

I like the sound of this 3GSD 6Firespray list you speak of - Sounds like fun too!!

This is my 6 Firespray list

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Ozzel

Assault Objective: Precision Strike
Defense Objective: Fighter Ambush
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

Demolisher  ( 10  points)
= 83 total ship cost

Insidious  ( 3  points)
= 76 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
-  Admiral Ozzel  ( 20  points)
= 93 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Slicer Tools  ( 7  points)
= 30 total ship cost

6 Firespray-31s ( 108 points)
= 108 total squadron cost