Jump to content
UnitOmega

Pathfinders spoiled early, it seems

Recommended Posts

Not my image, no idea where it came from, but I have come upon this image of Pathfinders unboxed.

1550459438263.png

As you can see, Overwatch does indeed give Sentinel (called it) for a slim 4 points. Also interesting to see it immediately has another copy of comms relay, good if you don't want to buy too many extra specialists.

RIP Bistan, his dice pool+exhaust are pretty bad for a minimum 1/8th of your points. Long live Pao. 

Edited by UnitOmega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just call Overwatch 'Sentinel'?  This small point of redundancy aside, this looks really good. It's slightly disappointing that two of the models are tied to named character cards, but that's easy enough to ignore.

Overall, this looks like a very good unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, srMontresor said:

Why not just call Overwatch 'Sentinel'?  This small point of redundancy aside, this looks really good. It's slightly disappointing that two of the models are tied to named character cards, but that's easy enough to ignore.

Overall, this looks like a very good unit.

Why would you call it that? Why not call Concussion Grenades Blast? Why not call Targetting Scopes Precise? Why not just call Fleet Troopers Ready? Because that's lame, that's why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thalandar said:

unitOmega whats the other side of the A-300 short range config say?

No clue, this image is all I have, see: "Not my image, no idea where it came from". If I find an image of the flipside, I'll post it. Also I think judging by slots and spread these guys should also have a Gear upgrade which isn't shown in this image?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Range 4 ion, it may be the first time a refresh card has a valid reason to be expensive.

But as vehicles are trash won't get used anyway, hello pao instead 

It's still kind of a Range 4 surge-to-hit Z6.

Edited by Polda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

From first glance, I don't see why I would ever pick them over Snipers ...

Different tools. It's like asking "why would I take Wookiees over Snipers". Snipers ability to deliver suppression and a small amount of basically guaranteed damage over a long distance and open terrain is very powerful, but will probably not be interacting with objectives (other than to try and shoot enemies off them). Pathfinders here can basically teleport in on top of certain bits of terrain or objectives, Dauntless means they can wiggle a bit of mobility while suppressed, and it looks like depending on the flipside of that config, they can either throw bloody great handfuls of dice and hope, or throw small amounts of very accurate dice. Without a pierce or sharpshooter, I don't know if a lot of those dice will be converting to wounds, but they will also be sure as heck dishing suppression - only they can do it from a lot closer up and actually be on objectives. 

Not for everyone, but certainly forces your opponent to react in an entirely different way than seeing a couple snipers across the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure I understand the concept of different tools and I see why Wookies can be very useful with their huge amount of HP and Close Combat punch. But I can't see where Pathfinders fit in. They are like Commando Squads (which almost nobody plays): Too expensive for their effect on the game. And I find their weapons and abilities counter themselves a bit. Infiltrate suggests being lone on the flank, so why Inspire? The heavy weapons look very underpowered in general. Range 4 is immediately cancelled by cover most of the times (I don't pay 80+ points for a suppression token). Danger sense is good and all, but when you are shot at (i.e. gain suppression for more defense) you very likely lose HP on the way reducing your firepower drastically.

Still looking forward to see what people make of them and I will surely give them a try. I just don't see an obvious reason for picking them yet. If vehicles make a comeback Bistan might actually be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Why would you call it that? Why not call Concussion Grenades Blast? Why not call Targetting Scopes Precise? Why not just call Fleet Troopers Ready? Because that's lame, that's why.

Nothing lame about a card called Sentinel, and the name would basically advertise what it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SailorMeni said:

Sure I understand the concept of different tools and I see why Wookies can be very useful with their huge amount of HP and Close Combat punch. But I can't see where Pathfinders fit in. They are like Commando Squads (which almost nobody plays): Too expensive for their effect on the game. And I find their weapons and abilities counter themselves a bit. Infiltrate suggests being lone on the flank, so why Inspire? The heavy weapons look very underpowered in general. Range 4 is immediately cancelled by cover most of the times (I don't pay 80+ points for a suppression token). Danger sense is good and all, but when you are shot at (i.e. gain suppression for more defense) you very likely lose HP on the way reducing your firepower drastically.

Still looking forward to see what people make of them and I will surely give them a try. I just don't see an obvious reason for picking them yet. If vehicles make a comeback Bistan might actually be useful.

From what I can gather the Pathfinders seem to be that versatile group that can transition easily between Close Quarters Combat and Long range fighting.  The logical prediction for the other side of the A300 is a long range version something at least range 4 but a minimum range (probably range 3) to force you back and forth between the two configurations.

I also don't see infiltrate and inspire contradictory at all.  They are abilities used to increase the versatility of the units based on battlefield conditions.  Infiltrate allows them to hit early if you want while inspire keeps the rest of your units in the game.  Pathfinders are the multitool of the rebel special forces not the best tool for a specific task but something that can work well when you need it.

Edited by chr335

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

Infiltrate suggests being lone on the flank, so why Inspire?

I think they are special forces, not specialists, so they should be adaptable.  As a line unit an inspiring pathfinder unit can buddy up with some troopers and their med bot.  The troopers keep moving because of inspire while the med bot keeps the pathfinders at strength. On the other hand they can infiltrate with another squad and Jyn if the mission, and enemy deployment, calls for it- Inspire is still useful for controlling suppression which seems to be an entire subgame for these guys. 

Then there will be situational uses like bringing in rapid reinforcements onto a pathfinder position where Inspire will be useful.  In fact, that scenario would be reflective of what pathfinders actually do in the British Army.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, YuriPanzer said:

Pathfinders 2 whites are 6/8, range 3. Short config is 7/8 range 2. I bet the unknown side will be 5/8 range 4, so one black die.

I thought the same, but I think an average of 3,75 hits (with Pao) on Range 4 would be too powerful. 1 white die on range 4 would still be decent and more likely. That would indeed push them to my list of very valid unit choices 🙂.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Range 4 ion, it may be the first time a refresh card has a valid reason to be expensive.

But as vehicles are trash won't get used anyway, hello pao instead 

And if you're reconfiguring your A300 and/or recovering some suppression, that refresh isn't much of a negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, srMontresor said:

Why not just call Overwatch 'Sentinel'?  This small point of redundancy aside, this looks really good. It's slightly disappointing that two of the models are tied to named character cards, but that's easy enough to ignore.

Overall, this looks like a very good unit.

They knew we could only afford one pack at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chr335 said:

  Infiltrate allows them to hit early if you want while inspire keeps the rest of your units in the game. 

Exactly this except. I would further it that if there are several pathfinder units, all of which are adding suppression for additional cover and defence whilst behind enemy lines, then you have some form of suppression control by inspiring them to remove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Not my image, no idea where it came from, but I have come upon this image of Pathfinders unboxed.

1550459438263.png

As you can see, Overwatch does indeed give Sentinel (called it) for a slim 4 points. Also interesting to see it immediately has another copy of comms relay, good if you don't want to buy too many extra specialists.

RIP Bistan, his dice pool+exhaust are pretty bad for a minimum 1/8th of your points. Long live Pao. 

 

I mean, Pao basically has a mini DLT for only 5 pts more than a trooper.  Seems really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

 

I mean, Pao basically has a mini DLT for only 5 pts more than a trooper.  Seems really good.

Yeah, I plan to always use Pao. I have 2 preordered boxes of Pathfinders and may get a third to have them fill all the possible SF spots. Pao will always be in one squad. I doubt I'd use Bistan, although, a Range 4 mini-Z6 with Ion and Impact 1 isn't trash, but still, the exhaust and cost is blah. At least with the new re-configure weapons, you may find a use for Recover. I'll probably test him out :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to remember about Bistan is that all models in a unit have access to the weapons on the unit card. That means he can use the A-300 rifle (and it's configurations) along with the weapon on his card. I forgot that and thought it was a waste of 32 points at first glance also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...