Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Plasma Torpedoes in Wave 4

Looks like the card is the same as in 1.0, just with -1 red and 2 charges. Probably decent enough against ships with 3+ shields or a stack of defensive tokens. Besides the N-1 though, where would this go? It'd have to be a ship with a 2-dice primary, and either reload or no missile slot (since otherwise you'd take the 3-charge Concussion Missiles). Besides the N-1, there's the TIE Bomber, TIE Punisher, Starwing, Y-Wing. Anything else? I suppose the Decimator could cover the forward arc with this thing.

11 minutes ago, Okapi said:

Looks like the card is the same as in 1.0, just with -1 red and 2 charges. Probably decent enough against ships with 3+ shields or a stack of defensive tokens. Besides the N-1 though, where would this go? It'd have to be a ship with a 2-dice primary, and either reload or no missile slot (since otherwise you'd take the 3-charge Concussion Missiles). Besides the N-1, there's the TIE Bomber, TIE Punisher, Starwing, Y-Wing. Anything else? I suppose the Decimator could cover the forward arc with this thing.

There is a decent chance that the Republic Z-95 will be a two dice attacker too. 

2 hours ago, K13R4N said:

Could Jumpmasters be a option?

i've been all over my jumpmasters since I got into the game at 2.0 launch. I never saw them in their heyday, but honestly they were fun and boom; price drops. made them every bit more viable for me. 

But since proton torpedoes went up to twelve; i'm stuck dropping a load of points or running ions. 

If these are any bit costed decently for the ability they'll be stapled onto my jumpmasters. 

1 hour ago, Phclostermann said:

i've been all over my jumpmasters since I got into the game at 2.0 launch. I never saw them in their heyday, but honestly they were fun and boom; price drops. made them every bit more viable for me. 

But since proton torpedoes went up to twelve; i'm stuck dropping a load of points or running ions. 

If these are any bit costed decently for the ability they'll be stapled onto my jumpmasters. 

Agreed, that will allow for the crew slot to be used! (which I think is better then astromech) 

How much would you pay for these torps? 5?

Edited by K13R4N

9 hours ago, Okapi said:

It'd also maybe be worth it to consider them on X-Wings.  Having a 3-dice Torp to use with S-Foils closed doesn't seem bad, if the price is right.  Heck, even on a normal 3-dice ship, in moderation.  If it works like the 1e did--causing the target to lose a shield--that's still potentially an extra damage over and above what a 3-dice attack will do.  On a high-enough initiative ship, 5ish points for a Crack Shot analog might be worthwhile.

Poe probably wants HLC more, but I could see Plasma working out.  Maybe you're in a spot where getting Bullseye isn't going to happen, but a barrel roll would be useful.  Lock and Roll and shoot.  Seems like it could be cool to use.  Worth the points?  That's a harder question.

3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

It'd also maybe be worth it to consider them on X-Wings.  Having a 3-dice Torp to use with S-Foils closed doesn't seem bad, if the price is right.  Heck, even on a normal 3-dice ship, in moderation.  If it works like the 1e did--causing the target to lose a shield--that's still potentially an extra damage over and above what a 3-dice attack will do.  On a high-enough initiative ship, 5ish points for a Crack Shot analog might be worthwhile.

Its also a torp so no R3 defensive bonus if it is still range 2-3

48 minutes ago, Mark Caliber said:

Yeah,

I zoomed in on the picture of the alleged Plasma Torpedos but without access to the "favor" text, we're all just speculating here.

Unless there's another definitive source on this card?  :huh:

It's the Plasma Torp art from 1e, you can see the rest of the art in the Hyena's spread. In the N-1 spread you can clearly read "torpedo" so it stands to reason it would be called Plasma Torpedos still, though you're right everything involving effects is speculation at this point. Thus the discussion, though.

Yeah as said above its all speculation but the idea of removing a shield like 1.0 plasma torp is still a great effect/ability so I can't see why they wouldn't implement it into the game. 

35 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

Yeah as said above its all speculation but the idea of removing a shield like 1.0 plasma torp is still a great effect/ability so I can't see why they wouldn't implement it into the game. 

I think discarding a shield token instead of just doing an extra shield damage would be better. It would make better use of those 2.0 shield tokens. Besides just about every ship has had a shield token replaced by a hull so the 1st ed. plasma torpedoes won't be as effective as they were back then.

3 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I think discarding a shield token instead of just doing an extra shield damage would be better. It would make better use of those 2.0 shield tokens. Besides just about every ship has had a shield token replaced by a hull so the 1st ed. plasma torpedoes won't be as effective as they were back then.

I mean it serves a very different purpose then. It is then designed to shut down regen. You could lean into that. Make it something like this

3 dice

If this Attack hits, do 1 hit damage. You may then spend all uncancelled results to either do 1 shield damage, or remove one damaged shield token.

The idea being that it either does extra damage to shields if they are up, or it removes the option to regen once they are down.

Situational, sure. But potentially very useful against a regen Luke or Norra.

7 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

The thing about discarding a shield token is that it'd be an entirely new rule, with no context for it in the rules reference.  Those materials can be change, and certainly are going to be, for Strain and Gas Clouds, but that feels different.

It'd also be wicked complicated for what it does to half points.  Does an X-Wing with 3 hull remaining but two shield tokens discarded still provide half points?  Since the shields are now gone, it's only lost 1 of it's 4 HP, so shouldn't give half points, right?

I understand the impulse to make regen worse than 1e, but it seems entirely unnecessary given the reality of regen in 2e, and almost surely would be more of a PITA than it's worth to manage, without really making any real impact on the game.

With only 3 attack die and as mentioned above a lot of ships have less shields now I would hope that its not a carbon copy of the 1.0e card, as if so its probably won't be worth taking unless its dirt cheap (which I'm guessing it won't be, maybe 5 points at a guess)

I always disliked how the 1.0e only did extra damage if the defender still had shields left, perhaps something like these would be suitable:

"When attacking with plasma Torpedo if the defender has shields remaining, add one hit result to your attack results"

Or possibly a variant, though a bit wordy:

"If this attack hits and the defended has shields, deal one damage to the defender before attack damage is dealt"

Just some thoughts.

I think 3 reds, no range bonus, after damage, if there are shields left remove a shield, is probably what it will be? So just the same as 1.0, but minus a red? A little nerfed as there are less shields in 2.0 to start with. But not bad overall. One hit vs Luke will take shields down.

Edited by HanScottFirst

2 hours ago, HanScottFirst said:

I think 3 reds, no range bonus, after damage, if there are shields left remove a shield, is probably what it will be? So just the same as 1.0, but minus a red? A little nerfed as there are less shields in 2.0 to start with. But not bad overall. One hit vs Luke will take shields down.

I'm thinking if the ability is the same if not similar to 1st ed it'll be useful for knocking shields of med/large bases pretty reliably. 

14 hours ago, K13R4N said:

How much would you pay for these torps? 5?

5 feels about right, that'd put it in with the missiles for cost effectiveness.

With 3 dice, and a similar presumed ability to 1.0, I would want it at the 4 point range. 

I did like this idea a lot!

4 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

"If this attack hits and the defended has shields, deal one damage to the defender before attack damage is dealt"

The reason I say 4 points is how situational this will be to assuming it still interacts with shields in some capacity. There are fewer shields all around, and once they’re gone, it’s a pretty ok attack. 1.0 plasma torps were 5 points with extra munitions but they were always a 4 dice attack, possibly dealing five damage to a shielded ship. 3 dice is great and reasonable but if concussion missiles are any indicator 6 is too high and I don’t think people would take the at them at 5, either...