Radish

Deny Existence and Terrible Secret

Hello I was just wondering about a rules clarification.  Terrible Secret says that the horror can not be canceled.  However Deny Existence says you simply ignore these negative effects.  I just wanted to make sure that using Deny Existence to counter Terrible secret was legal since it seems like a really too perfect counter for that signature weakness (although you have to be holding the card of course).

Thanks!!

I believe the rules say that "can not" can never be superseded. So Terrible Secret's text overrides Deny Existence's text.

Read later posts for correct answer.  I focused on cannot, but there are other words that were important that I missed.

EDIT: Found it on page 6:

The word “cannot” is absolute, and cannot be countermanded by other abilities.

Edited by Eeyogre

7 minutes ago, Donel said:

Deny existence should work. You're ignoring a single aspect of the revelation. The revelation is still occuring

And, just for my own edification, terrible secrets is considered an encounter card and a player card? As deny existence works on encounter cards and monster attacks.

4 minutes ago, gazzagames said:

And, just for my own edification, terrible secrets is considered an encounter card and a player card? As deny existence works on encounter cards and monster attacks.

Should have seen that one coming. The short answer is that it is in fact both those things. This is actually a very easily missed rule that was further clarified in the FAQ. It's actually caused quite the stir with other cards in the past

You can find the FAQ here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/12/ec/12ecf8b7-bd11-41f1-a243-155f607b3444/ahc_faq_v141.pdf

But for the sake of keeping all the information right here this is the relevant entry:

(1.12) Weaknesses With Encounter Cardtypes
Weaknesses with an encounter cardtype (such as enemies or treacheries) are considered to be player cards while they are in their bearer’s deck, and are considered to be encounter cards while they are being resolved, and once they have entered play. Before a weakness with an encounter cardtype is resolved, it is still considered to be a player card.