IG-58

Whither the Rebel snowmen?

10 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

At best, droids are clever metallic crows that can figure how to twist sticks into tools, and humans are the gods that created them on the 5th day. But I'm going with the "droids are just very complex toasters that are connected to a very sophisticated internet" theory. Droids don't have feelings, they have programs that mimic expressions of emotion, which programs were designed by living things for the benefit of living things. They can't be "enslaved" any more than any other form of emotion-evoking art can. Do androids dream of electric sheep? No. This is why Jedi don't gain dark side points for callously destroying countless droids.

You can hit someone on the head hard enough and wipe their memory. But we weren't intentionally designed with a spare appliance that's kept at every mechanics shop, designed to do the same.

Anyways. Where ARE the rebel snowmen?

I think they're hung up on names. They seem committed to avoiding proper nouns like "Hoth" or "Endor" in naming the Legion squads. Maybe they are trying to decide what to call them. I vote for "rebel garrison".

Well we know they aren’t connected to the internet, otherwise R2 and 3PO could remotely warm each other about threats.

in Star Wars not wiping droids memories on a routine basis leads to them developing personalities and forming attachments to specific people. Example: R2 who’s basically never been wiped.

And, in SW:TOR there actually is a flashpoint around the attempts of a droid civilization to liberate itself from enslavement by meatbags (thanks HK-47), and the decision on how to proceed with their freedom, or continued enslavement, actually does net light side/dark side points.

Most Jedi simply don’t even recognize droids as individuals with autonomy, which is the crux of many light side/dark side moral discussions. Others do.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Well we know they aren’t connected to the internet, otherwise R2 and 3PO could remotely warm each other about threats.

It's more that C-3PO as one example, seems to carry an internet or so's worth of data around. Fluency in 6 million languages is a lot.

I don't think Siri or Alexa are individuals with autonomy even though they can "learn" about me through constant interaction without a memory wipe.

2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's more that C-3PO as one example, seems to carry an internet or so's worth of data around. Fluency in 6 million languages is a lot.

I don't think Siri or Alexa are individuals with autonomy even though they can "learn" about me through constant interaction without a memory wipe.

If they can learn new behaviors in response to environmental inputs, then, yes they would qualify. Insofar as I’m aware, they aren’t AI however. 

As a programmer, I found that there are so many people that really don't understand how difficult it is to truly do AI. First, there are different levels of AI, so that must be defined as a starting reference.

There have been programs for years that have a "learning" feature, but it is extremely complex to program the human mind. The speed at which the human brain can perform things is still faster than what machines can do today. Progress is being made, but we are not there yet, maybe in the future...

On 2/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, Derrault said:

If they can learn new behaviors in response to environmental inputs, then, yes they would qualify. Insofar as I’m aware, they aren’t AI however. 

Environmental input? Yes they do. Input like my shopping and travel tendencies. But they aren't "slaves". C-3PO has a very sophisticated user interface but, he's still a thing not a person. He can't be "enslaved". That fancy electric translator called C-3PO projects a sense of sadness or fear because it was programmed to do so for the benefit of sentient users, not because droids get sad.

12 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Environmental input? Yes they do. Input like my shopping and travel tendencies. But they aren't "slaves". C-3PO has a very sophisticated user interface but, he's still a thing not a person. He can't be "enslaved". That fancy electric translator called C-3PO projects a sense of sadness or fear because it was programmed to do so for the benefit of sentient users, not because droids get sad.

Not in Star Wars, Droids are intended to be personality less (and remain so for as long as they get routine memory wipes)

3PO and R2 are unique are capable of improvisation and emotion precisely because they have evolved. 

Although the topic is now obviously on all kind'sa other threads, I feel a certain sense of vindication here. EVEN a pair of generic, non-hero tauntauns. "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." FFG should hire me. :D