Vontoothskie

"limited edition" ships?

It’s not.

They're not doing this so that people buy ****loads of randomized product in hopes of getting that one rare ship. They’re not selling it as collectible.

It’s a way to make a massive gaming event something special for those who attend. Any “collect them all” mindset that drives people to pay out their butts for one of these in the aftermarket is as much their fault as it is FFG’s.

Plus it’s not even really a unique paint job. More like the equivalent of a foil card. I won’t say that future such exclusives will follow that pattern, but.

Miniatures companies have been producing event only sculpts for years, most of the time they are just alternative versions of existing models. These aren't even unique sculpts just a different paint job which is much easier to replicate, in fact it will probably be cheaper to buy a regular one and pay a moderately talented commission painter than to pay scalper prices. 

As someone who is a collector, it annoys me a little bit, but I also know that it is my own problem and I don't HAVE to buy it.

Especially since I've also played Attack Wing and them having prize ships with exclusive stuff was bull. To me it seems that exclusive paint jobs are going to be original schemes. Now if it was Black One...then I would be angry.

Edited by Ebak

3 hours ago, mcgreag said:

Since alt art cards where introduced how many years ago?

Pretty much this. I never went to Nationals, Worlds or System Opens so I never could get those alt art cards unless I decided to pay premium price on ebay (which I never did of course).

It might be a ship instead of a card, but that’s pretty much the same thing as far as rarity and collectability goes. An alt paint ship instead of an alt art card.

As long as it is not unique upgrades or ships only available in conventions, I have no problem with that. 

Edited by Red Castle

I actually really like the idea of alternate releases. 

For example, I wouldn't mind if the rebel ARC never got a re-release, or the Rebel Captured TIE. 

We have conversion cards for these older releases, and they don't need to be insanely competitive. Just playable and special for those that got their hands on one. 

The Saw's Renegades Black X-Wing+U-Wing. 

Special. 

The old black hand Z-95s. 

The Aces pack blue rebel A-Wing.

Special. 

This game has a history now, and these alt arts and limited releases mean something to a lot of us.... We don't need to make everyone happy and keep re-printing the exact old things. 

Edited by Bucknife

Con exclusive minis have been a thing for a long time for many games. I’ve bought several for them. It’s a good thing to generate interest. Because it’s only the mini, it’s not that big a deal when you miss out because it’s only a variation in pose/shape/colour. It’s not any better or worse on the table.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, SabineKey said:

May I ask why? 

I'm copy pasting from another thread, it's my own.

I don't like that they do those event exclusives that aren't prizes. I could go get one, it's a day trip practically, but I won't because my job has me work weekends, so I'd have to call off, and this close to the event there's not much time to plan. But one of the driving reasons for getting into the game, and indeed recommendation of it for so long, was that it DIDN'T follow the WizKids prize out designs at all, and this is getting closer. But now there's all these playmats and soon a Vulture that I'll never really have access to buy. I could get it on eBay, sure. But I feel for all our players who live abroad like Europe, Asia, and Australia, that's a huge unfairness to them. It just grinds my gears.

It would be a whole different matter if anything you could pick up as a promo was available retail months later or by special order, and the only benefit of getting it as a promotional item was that you paid a reduced price or got it for free and early. 

Added for this post: it would also make sense to me if you could get a promo 'stamped' version, and a regular retail plain version. Like, as much as I want some of the special playmats, I'm not paying hawker price online with untrusted sellers, and if I didn't go to the event I don't want the big shiny stamps in the corner. Magic did this for prerelease cards and it worked fine. 

Bottom line, I want promotional items to be promotional, not exclusives. I'm playing a collectible game, I should be able to collect it for mostly the same price as everyone else, and through the same channels.

I have to wonder if people would be so flippant about it if it was Poe's black and orange X-wing, or a red-stripe interceptor, or one of the varied Jedi paintjobs? I.E., ships people are much more likely to care about. Because I can guarantee that they'll keep doing this as time goes on, and with likely far more popular ships.