Sign in to follow this  
Bakura83

Limited Edition Ships

So X-Wing is getting a limited edition version of a ship with an alternate paint scheme that is only available for sale at one event (or later at a greatly inflated price) on eBay (probably).

Do we want to see limited edition ships/squadrons in Armada?

My thoughts are that I don’t like it when these things are limited by geography.  I’d either want them to be globally available limited run or prizes, and I’d want to have an alt art ship/squadron card as well.

Community thoughts?

I really like the way @Crabbok described this in his latest video. The limited edition event ships become something special and have a sentimental value, a connection to a cool real live event. They will always evoke memories of that day. FFG selling those same limited edition event ships online would take away from what makes them special so they should only be obtainable at the event. That being said, I think it is only ok to have limited edition event ships if literally everybody has somewhat equal opportunity to get one. Meaning you would have to have events in every country you sell the game in. That is of course impractical so I remain somewhat skeptical towards them overall.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

I'll make money faking out paint scheme replications, if they do.

I’m sure you will, and that’s fine I guess.

They can minimise the effects of forgeries if it comes with an alt art card maybe even an alt design base too. 

I personally don’t mind if people make cheap knock offs.  People make cheap knock-offs of lots of things I enjoy.

I would happily support the game by purchasing a legitimate copy.

I mean, event exclusive alt-arts are already  a thing...

And I mean, the main difference between X-Wing and Armada is, seemingly, X-Wing's business model is a "multi-buy" for most of its packs...  You get two or three of a ship much more frequently than you do in Armada...  Not to say we don't, but still...  Something like a Vulture droid is good for this, as you're probably intending on getting three or more anyway, so its not a huge deal...

It can be a little counter-intuitive for Armada to dedicate production resources to something that's going to be a one off purchase for people, that's not going to be general release - either on retooling time and charges, or on the risk that it doesn't sell, when they could just produce more of the baseline.

I personally loathe event exclusives.  I grew up in Australia, and for almost 30 years there, I envied the ability of people to "Go to GenCon, get Swag" without a $4000k investment in Plane Ticket alone.  it was always infuriating.

I'm disappointed in the Alt-Art distribution of Armada as it was.  I was enthused by the Idea of the "Worlds' stream party" that OP had originally planned (the idea where the Worlds Exclusive Alt-Art would be distributed in limited number (2) to stores so they could run something simultanious to worlds to celebrate), because that helped distribute the Alt Art to those who for whatever reason, cannot travel....   And sometimes, that reason isn't Economical.  For some (including me), its also Security and Political based.

I begrudingly accept the situation we have, beacause THANKFULLY, unlike a whole bunch of other companies, FFG's alt Arts and Exclusives are functionally identical to general availability...   Keep THAT up, and I'll complain a whole lot less...  There's absolutely NOTHING worse than Prizes or Exclusives being functionally different, better or modified than general availability...

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

I mean, event exclusive alt-arts are already  a thing...

And I mean, the main difference between X-Wing and Armada is, seemingly, X-Wing's business model is a "multi-buy" for most of its packs...  You get two or three of a ship much more frequently than you do in Armada...  Not to say we don't, but still...  Something like a Vulture droid is good for this, as you're probably intending on getting three or more anyway, so its not a huge deal...

It can be a little counter-intuitive for Armada to dedicate production resources to something that's going to be a one off purchase for people, that's not going to be general release - either on retooling time and charges, or on the risk that it doesn't sell, when they could just produce more of the baseline.

I personally loathe event exclusives.  I grew up in Australia, and for almost 30 years there, I envied the ability of people to "Go to GenCon, get Swag" without a $4000k investment in Plane Ticket alone.  it was always infuriating.

I'm disappointed in the Alt-Art distribution of Armada as it was.  I was enthused by the Idea of the "Worlds' stream party" that OP had originally planned (the idea where the Worlds Exclusive Alt-Art would be distributed in limited number (2) to stores so they could run something simultanious to worlds to celebrate), because that helped distribute the Alt Art to those who for whatever reason, cannot travel....   And sometimes, that reason isn't Economical.  For some (including me), its also Security and Political based.

I begrudingly accept the situation we have, beacause THANKFULLY, unlike a whole bunch of other companies, FFG's alt Arts and Exclusives are functionally identical to general availability...   Keep THAT up, and I'll complain a whole lot less...  There's absolutely NOTHING worse than Prizes or Exclusives being functionally different, better or modified than general availability...

I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment.

A friend offered me a ship that was a custom paint job the other day and I declined because that particular paint job has no meaning for me.  It would have to be something amazing for it to really matter.   Like... suppose they never released the Chimaera as a separate expansion - but the Chimaera paint job was a Gen Con Exclusive?  now THAT would be almost crossing the line in terms of exclusives because that particular paint job would be extra special and also difficult to replicate.   

But what they've done with x-wing is changed a brown to a bronze...  it's not even gonna be that noticeable.   

Edited by Crabbok

A limited edition ship with just a different paint scheme and the same upgrade cards?  Doesn't bother me at all.  It's a nice prize for those that attend the event.

But a limited edition ship with all-new cards?  Or ever worse, a brand-new ship with all-new cards only available at events?  Yeah i'd be sharpening my pitchfork 🙂

1 hour ago, idiewell said:

A limited edition ship with just a different paint scheme and the same upgrade cards?  Doesn't bother me at all.  It's a nice prize for those that attend the event.

But a limited edition ship with all-new cards?  Or ever worse, a brand-new ship with all-new cards only available at events?  Yeah i'd be sharpening my pitchfork 🙂

Just to be clear I meant just the art work/paint scheme would be different, I agree limited New gameplay content is just awful.  That’s wizkids shenanigans.

I agree with @idiewell and a lot of what I've read here and on the X-Wing board. As long as it's just an alternate paint scheme (which so far it is), then I think it's a really cool idea. Similar to the Alt Art Cards, so long as you can get, game wise, the same thing, and the only difference is a unique that looks cool, then I think it's a fun way to have a cool souvenir for the event.

But a big NO if it is ever something with a unique game effect that you cannot get if you don't go.

A limited edition alternative sculpt/paint job is only an issue if you 1) really like it and 2) can't reasonably attend the event it's being sold at! I do have some sympathy for people in this particular boat, as it's only human to be unhappy if something you really want is tantalisingly out of reach.

As to whether I want to see one for Armada...on balance, I'd say no. I'd like to see that time and effort devoted to actual new product we can all enjoy, instead of what amounts to a marketing gimmick.