Sign in to follow this  
ArkhamChronicle

Matt Newman built a Joe Diamond Deck. Can you do better?

We try not to start too many new threads but this is a special occasion right?

Matt and Brooke from FFG built a Joe Diamond deck for our #AllYellowAllTheTime challenge – that is a party composed entirely of Seekers.

And he challenged you to do better.

So how about we have a deckbuilding competition?

We should probably have thought about this beforehand right?

Any ideas on a prize? Maybe something accessory themed :)

Sooo…. sounds interesting... are we talking a better deck for all seeker party or just a better Joe deck.... e.g. if not all seekers it seems obvious to take Dr Milan...

Oh and quick question what set is Alice from???

Here's the decklist from the Youtube page:

Decklist
Assets
Detective’s Colt 1911s
Tooth of Eztli x2
Fingerprint Kit
Magnifying Glass
Bandolier
Guard Dog
Beat Cop x2
Alice Luxley
Handcuffs
.45 Automatic x2
.32 Colt x2
Events
Guidance
Mind over Matter
Shortcut
Logical Reasoning x2
Connect the Dots
Working a Hunch x2
Interrogate
Scene of the Crime
Delay the Inevitable x2
Emergency Aid
Dodge x2
Dynamite Blast
“If it bleeds…”
On the Hunt
Emergency Cache x2
Skills
True Understanding
Vicious Blow x2
Take the Initiative
Unexpected Courage x2
Weaknesses
Unsolved Case
Random Basic Weakness

I see a Guard Dog is still in the deck.  Clearly decisions being made with their hearts and not their heads :)  I like that Matt took the time to stress Mind over Matter not being all that great for Joe, but it went in anyway. 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:23 AM, gazzagames said:

Sooo…. sounds interesting... are we talking a better deck for all seeker party or just a better Joe deck.... e.g. if not all seekers it seems obvious to take Dr Milan...

It would have to be an #AlYyellowAllTheTime Deck to be comparable. What could we offer as a prize though?

1 hour ago, phillos said:

I see a Guard Dog is still in the deck.  Clearly decisions being made with their hearts and not their heads :)  I like that Matt took the time to stress Mind over Matter not being all that great for Joe, but it went in anyway. 

He needs it for his evade tests! :)

2 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

It would have to be an #AlYyellowAllTheTime Deck to be comparable. What could we offer as a prize though?

How about some realistic tokens for use with the game?? Enough resources crates for 1 player??? (Not that I need them as I just bought like 100 for our group!! 😲😲😲)….

Where are we posting the decks??

5 minutes ago, MGlas1 said:

Looks great.  Why guard dog over beat cop? Legitimately curious.

I’m in what I think is a minority in preferring Guard Dog to Beat Cop at level 0, although they’re both good.

It comes down to the fact that I can get three damage out of a Guard Dog for three resources, while Beat Cop gives a lovely +1 permanent combat but requires that you throw him to the mercy of your enemies for a measly one damage at the cost of four resources. And if you do want to throw him for a damage then he’s essentially 1/1 rather than 2/2, while Guard Dog’s reaction can trigger even when the last damage and horror will defeat it.

Of course Beat Cop level 2 offers the best of both worlds, and I usually upgrade my Guard Dogs to level 2 Beat Cops fairly early in the campaign. Maybe they’re part of Arkham’s police were-dog squad?

9 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

I’m in what I think is a minority in preferring Guard Dog to Beat Cop at level 0, although they’re both good.

It comes down to the fact that I can get three damage out of a Guard Dog for three resources, while Beat Cop gives a lovely +1 permanent combat but requires that you throw him to the mercy of your enemies for a measly one damage at the cost of four resources. And if you do want to throw him for a damage then he’s essentially 1/1 rather than 2/2, while Guard Dog’s reaction can trigger even when the last damage and horror will defeat it.

Of course Beat Cop level 2 offers the best of both worlds, and I usually upgrade my Guard Dogs to level 2 Beat Cops fairly early in the campaign. Maybe they’re part of Arkham’s police were-dog squad?

I think you have a point... early in a campaign the +1 from beat cop probably isn't a game changer for most situations and guard dog offer a bit more... then when the +1 and the added ability are key you have upgraded already....

25 minutes ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

We would probably have gone with as many Guardian cards as possible too to basically become a bulwark against the Mythos for the rest of the party.

But how many is too many?! Answer: that many.

I did actually start off trying to build a sensible deck. It ended up with 9 seeker cards in it, 6 of which would have gone into the hunch deck, and even then I wasn't sure about including two Teeth of Eztli (Tooths of Eztli, Tooth of Eztlis? Teeths of Eztli). And once it got to that point I thought, "Why not take this to the extreme and see where it goes?"

The real question is: is it better than Matt's deck? :P

25 minutes ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

My that is a long hashtag :)

It could have been worse, it could have been Daisy. #AllPurpleAllYellowAllTheTime

Edited by Assussanni

I think that it's actually a pretty solid deck Assussanni, except I'm not a massive fan of evidence in the hunch deck. It's too situational and only costs 1 resource and is fast (being fast makes it an ideal choice to have in your hand since the conditional use means you want access to it over multiple turns to figure out where to line up your kill). I think I would probably include a couple flashlights (maybe in place of Venturers) to make use of Joe's high intelligence and access to so many 1 handed weapons and his signature's ability to let you carry tools. 

But you could probably do worse than having this Joe on your side.

Edited by Soakman

My thinking was that since this is an #AllYellowAllTheTime deck, the group can probably afford to have one member who is only quite good at investigating - Joe’s high intellect is also joint lowest amongst the seekers!

My original hunch deck, before I decided it would be funny to make it all Guardian cards, had 2x Working a Hunch, 2x No Stone Unturned and 2x Preposterous Sketches in place of 2x Evidence! and 2x Interrogate, with either 2x Emergency Aid moving into the main deck or swapping out 2x Delay the Inevitable for something else like Teamwork (so that Joe can demand protection money from whoever has Dr Milan).