Jump to content
SpiderMana

Standing out from the Swarm Article

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Ya, something that adds nothing special other than a cosmetic veneer... From how you're griping you'd think they were selling limited run Sun Crushers....

Yes until they sell a paint scheme you want, but can't  get a hold on. Im just saying its a bad idea, example. release Jedi star fighters in all the colours you want, but make em availiable to all or make them a prize. This is just irritating exclusive bs for collectors or people who can't attend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dwing said:

Yes until they sell a paint scheme you want, but can't  get a hold on. Im just saying its a bad idea, example. release Jedi star fighters in all the colours you want, but make em availiable to all or make them a prize. This is just irritating exclusive bs for collectors or people who can't attend.

You're assuming the alternative is selling the paint scheme at retail - the alternative is not selling the alternate paint scheme at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwing said:

Yes until they sell a paint scheme you want, but can't  get a hold on. Im just saying its a bad idea, example. release Jedi star fighters in all the colours you want, but make em availiable to all or make them a prize. This is just irritating exclusive bs for collectors or people who can't attend.

<- <Is going to be running droid swarms and is happy to paint his own ships if the urge strikes him> ****, I did three full BFG fleets worth (about 60 ships) back when Battle Fleet Gothic was a table top game just to be able to "legally" put them on the table, 4-8 ships is nothing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwing said:

Yes until they sell a paint scheme you want, but can't  get a hold on. Im just saying its a bad idea, example. release Jedi star fighters in all the colours you want, but make em availiable to all or make them a prize. This is just irritating exclusive bs for collectors or people who can't attend.

Sounds like you’re way too salty over this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is a pretty cool idea. If there is a paint scheme i want they make then it will give me more of an incentive to go to an event. If I can't I will try painting one myself or have a friend of mine do it...or beg him to.

Edited by KiraYamatoSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

What's next, one in every 72 regular expansions has an alt-art foil card in it?

Paint Job isn't bad, I just don't like it on principle.  To each their own, I guess.

Yeah.  I remember once suggesting that models might go OOP in rotation and everyone had a meltdown that this game shouldn't be "collectible."

Now it is, and the main response is "ooooo, shiny."

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darth Meanie said:

As a guy who will never go to a convention or tournament, it just becomes another way some of us are left out.

Its like when you can only get certain upgrades for a pc game if you buy it in a certain store... And that store is not even located in your country. But I have spent enough time on this, I made arguments for why I don't like this idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dwing said:

Its like when you can only get certain upgrades for a pc game if you buy it in a certain store... And that store is not even located in your country. But I have spent enough time on this, I made arguments for why I don't like this idea. 

So, for those of us who aren’t into the world of pc gaming... are these new components just a “skin” or cosmetic benefit? Or are they actually better game components?

I can see the argument if it’s actially a better piece (although in this case the metaphor wouldn’t apply because this is identical functionally). 

I think the difference between being salty and having an opinion is the level of severity - the posts I saw suggested a very strong reaction to what amounts a small thing. 

 

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

As a guy who will never go to a convention or tournament, it just becomes another way some of us are left out.

I guess I don’t see the issue when it’s not truly exclusive content. If there was some new pilot or upgrade card that was included I’d be right there with you.  Bonus new content would not be ok with me either, but it amounts to a plastic version of an alt-art.

I don’t see it as leaving us out (remember, I’m not going either). I just see it as part of the swag from an event — which virtually every con in existence has had some sort of exclusive swag. Nothing you **have** to have (unless you’re a completionist collector, of which I am not), just a fun souvenir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

As a guy who will never go to a convention or tournament, it just becomes another way some of us are left out.

That's entirely you own choice though.  (Well, that and not playing 2nd edition to start with).

Nothing's stopping you from going to FFG events other than yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

As a guy who will never go to a convention or tournament, it just becomes another way some of us are left out.

These things exist as an incentive to go, same with tournament prizes and other kit content. It's there to entice you to attend events at your FLGS or your wider events.

If you then chose not to go because that's not the way to play X-Wing...well, that's your hang up. You are the one who is complaining about being left out and yet you are the only one that can fix that. All respect in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah.  I remember once suggesting that models might go OOP in rotation and everyone had a meltdown that this game shouldn't be "collectible."

Now it is, and the main response is "ooooo, shiny."

A handful of alt paint schemes does not a collectible game make. Players have to pay to get into Adepticon, and pay agian for most events; almost every company with events gives out swag, and that is what this is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Explorator88 said:

A handful of alt paint schemes does not a collectible game make. Players have to pay to get into Adepticon, and pay agian for most events; almost every company with events gives out swag, and that is what this is. 

Yup yup yup. And we’ll likely be paying more than the normal $20 for these, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Explorator88 said:

A handful of alt paint schemes does not a collectible game make. Players have to pay to get into Adepticon, and pay agian for most events; almost every company with events gives out swag, and that is what this is. 

No if this was a price or free swag, I would not care, this is just an expansion not available to all. And yes the models to me are the most important thing. Pretty sure a lot of people would dislike if FFG made some cool dice, you could only buy at one event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dwing said:

No if this was a price or free swag, I would not care, this is just an expansion not available to all. And yes the models to me are the most important thing. Pretty sure a lot of people would dislike if FFG made some cool dice, you could only buy at one event. 

So... you’re literally only upset because those of us who will have a chance to get these... have to pay for them?

 

wtf I think it’s time to quit the internet for today, later kids. 👋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dwing said:

No if this was a price or free swag, I would not care, this is just an expansion not available to all. And yes the models to me are the most important thing. Pretty sure a lot of people would dislike if FFG made some cool dice, you could only buy at one event. 

Wait, what? So if they gave them away, but only at Adepticon, you wouldn’t have a problem?

Honestly - it doesn’t bother me if ffg makes any alternate style swag for an event. As long as it’s not a new mechanic hidden behind the paywall of being there (and this isn’t), then I don’t care at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Wait, what? So if they gave them away, but only at Adepticon, you wouldn’t have a problem?

Honestly - it doesn’t bother me if ffg makes any alternate style swag for an event. As long as it’s not a new mechanic hidden behind the paywall of being there (and this isn’t), then I don’t care at all. 

Nope, then it would be swag, as is, its just an ordinary expansion, not available to all. There most diffenetely is a paywall, and an exclusive one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

That’s not entirely fair, I think he’s said a couple places he’s at least dipping his toes into the pool of 2.0.

Of course it's fair.  Meanie is complaining about next t being able to get a model that is exclusive to a specific FFG events, when his own. Stance is that he does not attend FFG events.

"Ermaghard FFG?  Cater to me!  Why won't you ever cater to meeeeeee?"

It's all self-inflicted.  99.9% of Meanie's complaints would be resolved by him, you know, actually playing the same game as the rest of us.

And as for @Dwing - never before in the history of man has such a tiny amount of paint mattered so much to one person.

It's a convention exclusive.  No unique in game, just a pretty paint job on the model.  Literally no big deal, except to the entitlement brigade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Of course it's fair.  Meanie is complaining about next t being able to get a model that is exclusive to a specific FFG events, when his own. Stance is that he does not attend FFG events.

"Ermaghard FFG?  Cater to me!  Why won't you ever cater to meeeeeee?"

It's all self-inflicted.  99.9% of Meanie's complaints would be resolved by him, you know, actually playing the same game as the rest of us.

And as for @Dwing - never before in the history of man has such a tiny amount of paint mattered so much to one person.

It's a convention exclusive.  No unique in game, just a pretty paint job on the model.  Literally no big deal, except to the entitlement brigade.

Its the idea I think that's a bad one. Next exclusive paint job might as well be something really cool, arc rancor paint scheme or something like that. But yes the models actually matter to me, the rest is cardboard. I guess if you don't have the model hobby part of the game, you wont get it as a pure gamer. I would bet there would be an uproar if ffg released exclusive dice, some could buy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

So... you’re literally only upset because those of us who will have a chance to get these... have to pay for them?

 

wtf I think it’s time to quit the internet for today, later kids. 👋

Guy who has the option to buy exclusive stuff, don't see the problem... Color me surprised... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dwing said:

Its the idea I think that's a bad one. Next exclusive paint job might as well be something really cool, arc rancor paint scheme or something like that. But yes the models actually matter to me, the rest is cardboard. I guess if you don't have the model hobby part of the game, you wont get it as a pure gamer. I would bet there would be an uproar if ffg released exclusive dice, some could buy...

Nonsense. I'm a model hobby person; as such, factory paint schemes don't matter to me, because if I care enough I'll paint my own, and if I don't care enough... then I don't care.

If FFG released exclusive alt dice - as long as readability is the same, I wouldn't care. Just as much as I don't care about alt art cards. If they released, say, Plo's scheme on an aethersprite at a con I don't go to, I'd be a little sad for all of five seconds or so, as long as there were no game mechanical elements locked behind an event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...