Sign in to follow this  
Hiemfire

Resistance and First Order Dial Upgrade Kits

7 minutes ago, T70 Driver said:

And, since they don't have the ship silhouette chits with them, I'll pass on these.

Did they before?  Those chits come in the conversion kits and individual ship packs, don't they?

I picked mine up today cuz I like to spend money for not truly good reason.

Edited by gennataos

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

Did they before?  Those chits come in the conversion kits and individual ship packs, don't they?

I picked mine up today cuz I like to spend money for not truly good reason.

So the 1st edition dials came with silhouettes for all the waves before them simply because they didn't have any silhouettes before them. Now every expansion set has silhouettes for the model to be used in the dial upgrade kit.

The wave 2 conversion kits for some reason had no silhouettes in them (wave 1 did). I have some silhouettes for Resistance and 1st order but that was from the 1st edition dial upgrade and expansion packs. 

9 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So the 1st edition dials came with silhouettes for all the waves before them simply because they didn't have any silhouettes before them. Now every expansion set has silhouettes for the model to be used in the dial upgrade kit.

The wave 2 conversion kits for some reason had no silhouettes in them (wave 1 did). I have some silhouettes for Resistance and 1st order but that was from the 1st edition dial upgrade and expansion packs. 

The Rebel, Empire, and Scum conversion kits included silhouettes for the ships in the kits that did not originally have silhouettes provided in the expansion. The First Order and Resistance conversion kits should at least have silhouettes for the regular First Order TIE and the T-70 X-wing. Those are the only sequel era ships released before dial upgrades were a thing. 

According to here: https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/First_Order_Conversion_Kit and https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance_Conversion_Kit you get one dial ID token for the First Order TIE and Resistance T-70 for each maneuver dial included in the kit.

Any other sequel era ship dial ID tokens you are expected to have from the 1st Ed. expansion. If you look at the above linked wiki for the Rebel conversion kit you'll get the breakdown of dial ID tokens. None are included for ships released after dial upgrades became a thing. 

Re:  Resistance ship silhouette tokens:

Correct me if I’m wrong about any of the following, but in first edition the Resistance Millenium Falcon was the same ship as the Rebel Falcon (just different sculpt), and as such it was given the same silhouette. In Second edition, it’s a different ship, and so on the ship cards it has a different silhouette. However, no new Resistance Falcon silhouette tokens came in the conversion kit. This disappoints me. :(

4 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

If there was ever a money grab, these things are it (and their ancestors)...

1.0 dial covers were amazing. You could see the whole dial in one go. 2.0 dials do that by default, so I've not used all my custom painted ones since. It was a pain to swap them out all the time, but the main feature was worth it.

I never understood why people bought these in 1.0.  Still, it's an accessory.  If they sell it and people buy it, then no problem.  

Then 2.0 came around and I had a gift card and I just picked up a pack of one faction.  Now I'm like a total dial cover snob.  I have to stop myself from buying more than one pack for each faction. I realize I probably need help. Just ordered these!

Edited by dadocollin

16 hours ago, Marinealver said:

The wave 2 conversion kits for some reason had no silhouettes in them

my First order conversion kit had some. but not for all the ships. No Upsillon ones for instance.

11 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

my First order conversion kit had some. but not for all the ships. No Upsillon ones for instance.

It all depended on whether the ship was released before or after they started packing the silhouettes in 1.0. The newer ships did, ergo, no silhouettes.

12 minutes ago, impspy said:

It all depended on whether the ship was released before or after they started packing the silhouettes in 1.0. The newer ships did, ergo, no silhouettes.

yes. I was responding to the comment that there were none in the wave 2 conversion kits.

11 hours ago, dadocollin said:

I never understood why people bought these in 1.0.  Still, it's an accessory.  If they sell it and people buy it, then no problem.  

Then 2.0 came around and I had a gift card and I just picked up a pack of one faction.  Now I'm like a total dial cover snob.  I have to stop myself from buying more than one pack for each faction. I realize I probably need help. Just ordered these!

Well, lets go talk about the issue of dials and factions. You see there wasn't much of an issue until ships could be part of multiple factions thanks to Wave 6 and the release of Scum. At first before Wave 6 was launched OrgPlay tournament rulings stated that dials had to match factions for competitive format. There was a quick outcry from the player base because it would mean that players would have to buy multiple Most Wanted packs which went for around $40 a piece in addition to the expansion packs that didn't have models. 4 Scum-wings (Y-wings) would cost $140, Two Firescums (Firespray-31) would cost $140, 6 Scumzies (Z-95) would cost $120. Either way the Outcry was enough for them to reverse that ruling and only the tiles and ship cards had to match reducing the price to $100 for 2 Scum Firesprays and $110 for 6 Scum Headhunters. So players did not have to purchase extra Most Wanted expansions. 

Now some time later the dials were getting worn so FFG decided to introduce Dial upgrade kits. Now if FFG had these dial upgrade kits in Wave 6 the outcry may have not been so bad, of course there still would be some that say said ruling would just be FFG's attempt to force players to buy dial upgrade kits, but it would have been a lot less than buying another Most Wanted pack. However now that a lot of cross faction ships are being differentiated from their original faction (like the YT-1300) cross faction ships are more rare than in 1st edition. Still I can see the rulings on these competitive events that dials have to match factions especially now that the dial upgrade kits are available. The only problem is that the dial designation was printed out on the center hole punchout instead of near the center, it could be easy to "mistake" a dial for one ship for another. Might not be like giving a B-wing an A-wing dial, but you get what I am trying to say.

On 2/16/2019 at 5:37 AM, Just Paulos said:

I'll be picking up the Republic ones solely to convert my Rebel ARC dials.

My plan as well. The Rebel ARC has rarely seen any table time and has always under performed. I'd rather take an X-wing or Y-wing or even a U-wing over an ARC as I find I can get more mileage out of those ships.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, clanofwolves said:

If there was ever a money grab, these things are it (and their ancestors)...

I actually find them very useful as it's easier to transport the dial half in my faction folders.

24 minutes ago, Ebak said:

I actually find them very useful as it's easier to transport the dial half in my faction folders.

That’s actually what sold me on them, I remember when they were first announced I couldn’t understand why anybody would want these. After playing against a guy and liking the fact you could see the whole dial while planning intrigued me, then after realizing how much space I could save by breaking the dials down I was sold. As I’m also an Epic player I have an obnoxious amount of ships, I seriously dropped a whole Plano storage case from each faction by storing only a third of the thickness on dials (most consider only half but after you add the thickness of both plastic dial retainers on each dial the single is 1/3 as thick). 

As a a side note, since 2.0 came out I used my old 1.0 ID tokens to number my dials to match the locks and ID’s on my ships. 

4 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

As a a side note, since 2.0 came out I used my old 1.0 ID tokens to number my dials to match the locks and ID’s on my ships. 

Genius!   I'll have to start doing that.

14 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

The new dial design makes theses so unnecessary and a bummer they forced shops to buy them to get 2.0 kits.

To the contrary. These make it so that you only need to store the maneuver portion of the dial, plus the ship ID token. It's much easier to store a single circle of cardboard, compared to two pieces joined with a plastic.

My FLGS actually put the 1.0 dials on clearance without realizing they were identical to the 2nd edition ones, and I cleaned them out. I'll happily pick up two packs of each of these for my Resistance and FO squads.

Edited by PhantomFO

If you love them that’s great. 

Only ever take what I need for a list to the shop because I have a nice little transport for that purpose. 

4b48f3f6b7bc241ec19f6ccdad446230_origina

It works fine with the plastic dials but they are still bulkier and I don’t like swapping the plastic dials so often.  

Personally, I think I'll be fine with using my existing dial upgrades. The colors are close enough. Still, it's nice to have the option.

As far as the usefulness of the dial upgrades themselves... I still find I prefer them because it's much clearer which maneuver you've selected. I imagine I would have gotten used to the little white arrow eventually, but I didn't like it when 2.0 started, so I stuck with my dial upgrades.