Sign in to follow this  
LordCola

Officer Ozzel and JJ

How would Officer Admiral Ozzel interact with JJ? Is there a determine course step every time you make a maneuver? Can you trigger JJ during the Ozzel move and then again during the ships normal movement? If that is true than a VSD deployed at speed 1 with a turn one nav dial could make a speed 1 move through Ozzel with 2 yaw (through JJ) then use the nav dial to go to speed 2 and add one yaw at the second joint and use JJ again to get 2 yaw at the first joint effectively allowing a VSD to perform a speed 3 2-2-2 maneuver on turn one. That would be kinda cool.

I am curious whether officer Ozzel plus d-caps will finally be enough to help the VSD over its speed deficiency?

Seems like it should be possible to use JJ during the Ozzel maneuver. From the rules reference (Ship Movement section):

To execute a maneuver with a ship, its owner proceeds through the following steps:

1. Determine Course
  2. Move Ship

Making the Ozzel maneuver requires you to enter the determine course step and JJ can be triggered during the determine course step.

1) Every movement has a Determine Course step.  That is when you whip out your Man Tool and go A-fiddlin'

2) The next bit is all kinda tricky, and has been covered with the Interdictor and Engine Techs in the past (I'd suggest looking that up )

But I offer you this.

If the problem with the Victory is speed, then losing motive distance by turning doesn't help :D

Here's another question though: would the ship need to be at speed 1 to do this?

JJ says "change the first yaw value of its current speed to 'II'". So if the ship is at speed 2, you've only affected the first click of speed 2, and not the speed 1 maneuver that will be used by Ozzel.

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

If the problem with the Victory is speed, then losing motive distance by turning doesn't help :D

I am sorry. English is not my first language and I don't quite understand what that sentence means.

I think the problem with the Victory is speed and turning.

4 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

2) The next bit is all kinda tricky, and has been covered with the Interdictor and Engine Techs in the past (I'd suggest looking that up )

Yeah, I have already asked about that on here and if I understood what people said about Engine Techs correctly, than my suggested move would be possible.

2 minutes ago, jp82729 said:

Here's another question though: would the ship need to be at speed 1 to do this?

JJ says "change the first yaw value of its current speed to 'II'". So if the ship is at speed 2, you've only affected the first click of speed 2, and not the speed 1 maneuver that will be used by Ozzel.

From past discussions about Engine Techs and how they interact with JJ I think you would need to start out at speed 1 as I suggested in my OP.

4 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I am sorry. English is not my first language and I don't quite understand what that sentence means.

I think the problem with the Victory is speed and turning.

Yeah, I have already asked about that on here and if I understood what people said about Engine Techs correctly, than my suggested move would be possible.

It means when you turn, you don't go as far forward.

When "too slow" is judged by how far forward you're going, turning "Slows you down" because you don't go as far Forward...

So yes, the problem is Speed *and* turning...   But you don't want to turn *too much*, or you'r elosing speed.

Basically, I think you can JJ on the Ozzel move (in fact, you definitely can)

So yes, Start at Speed 1 to make it count.

So you'd do:

Speed 1 Move, II Yaw

Speed 2 Move, II, II Yaw, due to Nav Dial

But PLEASE don't consider it a Speed 3 Move.

It is two distinct moves, and this has a follow on and implication for things that happen after moving (like Overlapping an Obstacle) - because if someone Grav-Shifts an Asteroid in your face, that's potentially 2 Overlaps, rather than 1...  Or an Overlap rather than Jumping it Cleanly

Edited by Drasnighta

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

It means when you turn, you don't go as far forward.

This isnt quite 100% true. Double notch left on move 1 followed by double notch right on move 2 goes slightly further forward than two straightforward compound moves I believe due to the asymettry of manuevers. 

16 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

This isnt quite 100% true. Double notch left on move 1 followed by double notch right on move 2 goes slightly further forward than two straightforward compound moves I believe due to the asymettry of manuevers. 

Interesting.  I admit, I was considering basically turning in only one direction...  And Shimmeys are inherently shorter...  So that's what I thought, anyway.

Always happy to be proven wrong

Edited by Drasnighta