bigbucky

How to handle AOE spells when there is no target?

How would you design a spell to make an acid cloud or fire wall when there isn’t a target?  Just have it fill the entire range band?  Genesys doesn’t use specific distances so making it a 20x20 foot circle doesn’t seem right. 

Edited by bigbucky

19 minutes ago, bigbucky said:

How would you design a spell to make an acid cloud or fire wall when there isn’t a target?  Just have it fill the entire range band?  Genesys doesn’t use specific distances so making it a 20x20 foot circle doesn’t seem right. 

by raw since you cant concentrate on a attack spell i would use conjure or barrier or something else. Prob conjure. In conjure for the basic power its sil 1 so roughly the size of a human or with grand summons sil 3 roughly the size of a jet fighter. Or you could argue that the additional summons would add sections to the thing what ever it was. 

Now how to actually make the firewall mechanically has been discussed a lot various places :) wont go into that here. 

The only thing with using range bands is that they include the caster. If the spell has a range of short and the area effect is the short range band then I would think it would affect the caster. I suppose you could say it can fill an area up to the range band and let the caster decide how big they want the effect based on the scenario. 

The system is narrative, so use a narrative description.

Barrier: This especially makes sense if you are creating a "Fire Wall" across something. Barrier typically protects one target. Each extra die covers another target per the table on page 216. So, easy to imagine a wall the length of a few Engaged range bands in a row? If that is too much, then instead of Engaged sized, imagine just people sized? As in 5' per target imagining D&D squares? No, no I don't mean start drawing distances on a map, just for visualization purposes. So, a typical office hallway might be blocked by a wall of fire by expending 1 extra dice for 2 targets (1 default plus 1). A doorway just needs the default Barrier spell with no extra dice.

Conjure: This may be better for an Acid Cloud, since you are covering an area not creating a wall of it. The mechanics can still be similar to Barrier though. Conjure speaks of Silhouette's and number of items, not areas. So, each Silhouette 1 is similar to an Engaged ranged area or a single person. The table on page 217 suggests an extra die per extra Silhouette 1. So, no added dice allows you to fill a small office with your Acid Cloud. Add a couple dice and you can fill a Short ranged room. Somewhat of a stretch from RAW, but I don't think the rules are meant to be ONLY literally interpreted.

I think the magic system is meant to be fiddled with. Get away from sticking to the rules as written so much. Use them as a guideline. Your player wants to fill the room with a poisonous gas? Ok, that's Conjure. The room is around Short ranged from one side to the other? Ok add 2 dice. You now want to block the doorway with a wall of fire? That sounds like a Barrier. It's just a small doorway, so no need to add any extra dice.

Edited by Sturn