SirCormac

I'm planning on bringing Weiss ATST to adepticon...am I stupid?

So with the results of LVO in, and trooper spam clearly still going strong (I was quite surprised how little the expansions of the past few months had dented that meta), I have a confession to make: I love big tanks, and I cannot lie. I love the Weiss ATST, and am SUPER hyped for the Occupier. Anyways. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, maybe I just want to be off meta, maybe I've played most list archetypes, Rebel and Imperial (I play both) and have found this one resonates the most with me. I don't know. Needless to say, I was really disheartened when I saw the LVO results, my heart sank into my gut. Well, I think I am going to go ahead with my Weiss ATST list, but was wondering if others had an existential crisis like this after the LVO results, and, as my title suggests, am I stupid for running ATST at Adepticon? (Spoiler: yes, probably)

I don’t think so.

Play what you enjoy. 

Power-wise, no reason ATST can’t compete - especially vs “top” LVO lists with limited anti-tank (although co-ordinated fire + crit hunting seems a little scary). 

Depends on the rest of the list I guess. 

I’ll be using Vader :-). 

For a list you may want something like:

Veers

DLT storms x 2

Snows: Flame, Astro, Frag

Weiss

Snipers x 3

Eweb x 2

10 activations incl Weiss can’t be too bad, and you have a LOT of turn 1 firepower to take out snipers etc early. Just watch out for limited visability. 

Swapping ewbs for 2 storms, 1 DLT could optimise coordinated fire, or swap webs and a sniper for Boba ?? 

Goid luck - see you there 🙂

I’ve wondered if a minimal AT-ST with just the 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon might leave enough room for some Trooper Spam. I haven’t tried it myself.

You’ve likely actually tried both builds but I think Arsenal 4 is a bit of a trap. 

As usual though play what you like!

It’s a long day so have some fun.

I’ve had some great X-Wing tourneys where I went 0-4 with weird and un-practiced lists but had a great day in the process. 😁

I’ve also had days where that weird list did really well so... 

1 hour ago, BenBot said:

I’ve wondered if a minimal AT-ST with just the 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon might leave enough room for some Trooper Spam. I haven’t tried it myself.

You’ve likely actually tried both builds but I think Arsenal 4 is a bit of a trap. 

As usual though play what you like!

It’s a long day so have some fun.

I’ve had some great X-Wing tourneys where I went 0-4 with weird and un-practiced lists but had a great day in the process. 😁

I’ve also had days where that weird list did really well so... 

If you’re gonna just add one weapon that  isnt the mortar use the grenade launcher. Blast can help a lot for untis with cover

8 hours ago, SirCormac said:

So with the results of LVO in, and trooper spam clearly still going strong (I was quite surprised how little the expansions of the past few months had dented that meta), I have a confession to make: I love big tanks, and I cannot lie. I love the Weiss ATST, and am SUPER hyped for the Occupier. Anyways. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, maybe I just want to be off meta, maybe I've played most list archetypes, Rebel and Imperial (I play both) and have found this one resonates the most with me. I don't know. Needless to say, I was really disheartened when I saw the LVO results, my heart sank into my gut. Well, I think I am going to go ahead with my Weiss ATST list, but was wondering if others had an existential crisis like this after the LVO results, and, as my title suggests, am I stupid for running ATST at Adepticon? (Spoiler: yes, probably)

He doesn't take up much space in luggage. Bring him.

Just come up with your Weiss list and play it a lot in advance, don't worry if he's worse than something else. It's like we used to talk about in self defense, when you are under pressure, any weapon you practice with regularly is better than any unfamiliar one. I suspect this is partly why infantry swarms and stuff still do well, people are good at using them through practice.

The fact is, any given gamer is unlikely to place in the tournament. So if you're gonna lose anyway (this is overwhelmingly statistically likely), do it on your own terms.

Edited by TauntaunScout

5 hours ago, Jabby said:

If you’re gonna just add one weapon that  isnt the mortar use the grenade launcher. Blast can help a lot for untis with cover

This is a huge problem I have with the AT-ST. The weapons have incompatible range bands. I just take an 88 for arsenal 2, because it's the closest ranges to the MS-4, and focus on deleting one unit at a time with my mobile guard tower.

But being crazy I bought a 2nd AT-ST anyways...

Edited by TauntaunScout

Much like beauty, stupidity is in the eye of the beholder.  Depends heavily on mindset.

Hardly comparable, but I'll be running a walker to a local tournament this weekend that I KNOW people will be bringing their super awesome, cool guy meta lists to.  Stupidity would be expecting to win the tourny, or stomp everyone based on list alone.  I'm going to have fun, and see if I can make the dang thing work.  For the most part, I think I can.  If you're expecting something similar, eh, I don't' think you're stupid. 

Just want to point out that by Adepticon the Rebels will have Jyn & Pathfinders on the table, with Infiltrate.  The grenade launcher on the AT-ST may be a lot more useful in taking them out with their Suppression/Cover shenanigans.

Okay, fine, I'll say it, yes, you are stupid, unless you aren't. In which case, you are crazy smart and well above the curve. Either AT-STs are truly over cost or people haven't figured out how to use them effectively. If you know how to effectively use Weiss, you'll clean up cause no one will see it coming. Otherwise, don't get too salty. You choose your list, so have fun with it.

Thanks for all the responses! I initially had a 10 unit, ATST list, but found the list a little vulnerable to Luke and Boba, which is especially a problem if Boba snipes Veers and runs away with an objective. I am planning on playing with 9 activations, one of which is a Royal Guard to deal with Luke or Boba who get too close for comfort. I have pretty solid reps with it, so am excited.  Looking forward to it!

so now since vehicles are able to overhang and lvo had alot of buildings that units could overhang on especially atsts but weren't allow back then how many are now thinking of doing a at-st list now. and also i say go for it big time now.

14 hours ago, SirCormac said:

Thanks for all the responses! I initially had a 10 unit, ATST list, but found the list a little vulnerable to Luke and Boba, which is especially a problem if Boba snipes Veers and runs away with an objective. I am planning on playing with 9 activations, one of which is a Royal Guard to deal with Luke or Boba who get too close for comfort. I have pretty solid reps with it, so am excited.  Looking forward to it!

Veers, an AT-ST, 6 snowtroopers, and 3 e-webs is 11 activations, 728 points so there's a little room to add assorted upgrades. Might have to try it. I'll be able to sell my stupid snow bikes!