Sign in to follow this  
privateer5

Hunting Witch & Chot Hazri

Sorry if this question has been asked before 

If I have Hunting Witch in play 

Each time you play another creature gain 1 amber 

I then play Chota Harris 

Play: Lose 1 amber. if you do, you may forge a key at current cost 

I assume I gain the amber from the Hunting Witch before I lose it from Chota Hazri

example I have 6 amber I play Chota Hazri gain a amber due to Hunting Witch so I would then have 7 amber 

lose 1 due to Chota Hazri play ability  would be back to 6 amber then forge a key at 6 amber if that was the current cost 

1 minute ago, privateer5 said:

Sorry if this question has been asked before 

If I have Hunting Witch in play 

Each time you play another creature gain 1 amber 

I then play Chota Harris 

Play: Lose 1 amber. if you do, you may forge a key at current cost 

I assume I gain the amber from the Hunting Witch before I lose it from Chota Hazri

example I have 6 amber I play Chota Hazri gain a amber due to Hunting Witch so I would then have 7 amber 

lose 1 due to Chota Hazri play ability  would be back to 6 amber then forge a key at 6 amber if that was the current cost 

That's exactly right. You always gain things from triggers before any Play: abilities happen.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rabbitball said:

That's exactly right. You always gain things from triggers before any Play: abilities happen.

Semi-OT but that is probably the one thing that bugs me in this game. In this instance the triggers happy before the bold word, but meanwhile destroyed triggers happen after "Destroyed:" text and it's a bit of a headache to remember without any consistency. Would be nice if it was just a nice consistent: "all happens same time, active player chooses" rule.

9 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

Semi-OT but that is probably the one thing that bugs me in this game. In this instance the triggers happy before the bold word, but meanwhile destroyed triggers happen after "Destroyed:" text and it's a bit of a headache to remember without any consistency. Would be nice if it was just a nice consistent: "all happens same time, active player chooses" rule.

I must be misunderstanding.  Actually the Play trigger kicks in the same timing as a Destroyed tigger would. Hunting Witch triggers when playing the creature, then the Play word kicks in.  If, for instance, you had a creature killed upon playing it the timing is the same.  Say a auto-cannon triggered to kill a 1 power creature, you would get the amber for playing it.  Could be a nasty loop with two auto cannons, chota and bad penny for instance.  

38 minutes ago, dpuck1998 said:

I must be misunderstanding.  Actually the Play trigger kicks in the same timing as a Destroyed tigger would. Hunting Witch triggers when playing the creature, then the Play word kicks in.  If, for instance, you had a creature killed upon playing it the timing is the same.  Say a auto-cannon triggered to kill a 1 power creature, you would get the amber for playing it.  Could be a nasty loop with two auto cannons, chota and bad penny for instance.  

No I mean in relation to things like Bad Penny vs "if/when destroyed..." text.

52 minutes ago, Simplegarak said:

No I mean in relation to things like Bad Penny vs "if/when destroyed..." text.

The idea is that you can't trigger an ability of a permanent that has already left play. So something with a Destroyed: or Leaves Play: trigger must trigger just before it actually leaves play. Something that watches for something else leaving play doesn't need to trigger beforehand because it can theoretically still be around to watch the other thing leave play.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, Rabbitball said:

The idea is that you can't trigger an ability of a permanent that has already left play. So something with a Destroyed: or Leaves Play: trigger must trigger just before it actually leaves play. Something that watches for something else leaving play doesn't need to trigger beforehand because it can theoretically still be around to watch the other thing leave play.

The initial problem with that is a card leaving play technically becomes a separate instance of a card (thus why if you return a card to hand, it doesn't still have damage on it when it is replayed).  Most games usually go with this rule to cut down on rules debates for obvious reasons. So when a card leaves play, it doesn't matter if the other thing is "still around" because the leaving card is no longer "seen" once off the table.

The second confusion comes from "if destroyed... instead" implying that the effect would replace the "leaving play" consequence, meaning it also needs to trigger beforehand because otherwise it's too late, the card has left play there is nothing to replace. You could even go from there and say Destroyed: text can't trigger because the destroyed effect is being replaced so there's no way for it to be triggered.

(and yes, this drives designers nuts as you template wording to make cards "work" and then end up with wording no human can understand lol - that's why the "active player decides" rule was so brilliant and the game should just let that stand)