MegaSilver

A Few wave 4 Abilities I've managed to translate.

9 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's a good thing it's a spectacularly useless ability because it's going to be an adjudicator's nightmare.

2 dice at any range can still hurt. It is extremely situational though.

9 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I hate everything. "Can you check to see if this is in arc please?" - "Give me a sec - I'm looking for a yard stick"

I guess I have more practice sighting line under a yard but over a foot than many, just need to lean down behind and inline with it. Though that might be an issue for some with bad backs, so laser lines come in handy there.

39 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

Grab regular ruler

measure

its beyond range 3

profit

how was that hard to figure out? 

Is it in arc? Without a range ruler that's a nightmare to figure out.

6 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

I guess I have more practice sighting line under a yard but over a foot than many, just need to lean down behind and inline with it. Though that might be an issue for some with bad backs, so laser lines come in handy there.

I mean, I get a lot practice at it too... but those close calls do need a straight edge to show everybody. I don't trust lasers for the close calls any more, the light bleed on them confuses the heck out of people. They're great, but not the best for close calls. I'm obviously making light of the whole problem in my previous post, and most of the potential shots under this proposed ruling would be easy enough... but there are going to be miserable problem shots too.

Edited by LagJanson

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

but there are going to be miserable problems shots too

No doubt. Is that corner just out or touching??? Glad it is a 2 die and costs a hp. Might be worth popping a stealth device or a kill shot, but that's it, especially with the hassles the literal "edge cases" will cause.

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Naboo I 5 is nutty (because we needed more great I 5s...)

Unless it's like speed 4 or 5 

If it only works on speed 4 or 5 (note that it's higher than x, not x or more, so if x is 3, only speed 4 or 5 moves will trigger it, which is super irritating when on the very same card they use x or more.  STANDARDISE for goodness' sake) it will be tough to get right.  I am always aware of how tough it was getting 4 die cruise missiles off in 1e.  Albeit, they had no ability to fire at R1 which makes it tougher.

22 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

Ps5 Naboo Fighter: while you defend or perform an attack, if the speed of your maneuver is higher than X, roll one additional die.

Okay you must be joking at this point right?  Ric Ole would be stupid good with this ability.

54 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Okay you must be joking at this point right?  Ric Ole would be stupid good with this ability.

Not saying it’s the same thing, exactly, but one of the Mining Guild TIEs gets an extra die just for being smaller than his enemy 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Not saying it’s the same thing, exactly, but one of the Mining Guild TIEs gets an extra die just for being smaller than his enemy 🤷‍♂️

I did some reflection and yeah, if it only applied to speed 4 and 5 it's good but not stupid.  If it applies to 3 speed though...

3 hours ago, nikk whyte said:

If by nightmare you mean “look down a straight line” then boy we have very different nightmares. 

I've seen people have very "interesting" interpretations of the straight line for an arc at range 1. I think trying to accurately measure that same straight line for a target over 3 feet away is going to be orders of magnitude worse. What game components are you going to use to see if a ship in the opposite corner of the play area is in arc or not?

3 hours ago, player2072913 said:

What about 'speed of your maneuver is higher than that of the opposing ship'? 

Okay that seems potentially balanced and *incredibly interesting.*. I'm in!

On 2/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, nikk whyte said:

Grab regular ruler

measure

its beyond range 3

profit

how was that hard to figure out? 

How are you making sure it's in arc way out there? Thanks for being an *** about it, though.

I struggle to see how anyone who has been involved in a sub millimetre arc check thinks performing said arc check at 2 and a half foot away will be anything other than a total nightmare.

I had a final dice roll at the wknd, on the edge of R1, that had the TO calling us bastards for making him decide it :D

On 2/13/2019 at 8:49 PM, MegaSilver said:

Ps4 Unique Hyena: You may perform primary attacks beyond range 3. while you do, the defender rolls an additional defense die. After you perform an attack beyond range 3, suffer 1 damage.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, nikk whyte said:

its super irrelevant, because thats not what his ability text says

Sure, why don't you explain to us how it works then? Because at opposite corners of the board, facing off the board edge, shooting at each other doesn't make any ****** sense.

Edited by ObiWonka

3 hours ago, ObiWonka said:

Sure, why don't you explain to us how it works then? Because at opposite corners of the board, facing off the board edge, shooting at each other doesn't make any ****** sense.

of course it doesn't, you're missing the entire point. 

19 minutes ago, ObiWonka said:

As are you. There is no tool in the game for making such an attack.

I think his point is that according to the rules the firing arc extends only to range 3 so attacks outside of range 3 wouldn't have to be performed in arc. This is of course unless the ability in question has more text that would force to measure arc beyond range 3, or the rules change.