Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
klempad

Qs: Initiative and Story Points

Recommended Posts

Initiative:

As I understand it, at the beginning of the encounter, each PC and NPC (I assume minions can be taken as groups) rolls to determine to the order of the Initiative slots (PC or NPC). Then during each round, you move down the order and assign a specific character to the slot as they take their turn.

My questions are:

  1. Slots are reassigned each round, correct?
  2. If a PC or NPC is defeated, is a corresponding slot removed from the order?

Story Points

The Story Point pool consists of 1 SP per player and 1 for the GM. That is all it can ever be, right?

It seems kind of limiting, especially with a small group. I was wondering if anyone has considered a way to increase the pool (perhaps as a 2 Triumph/Despair result)? Or would that throw things out of whack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, klempad said:

Initiative:

As I understand it, at the beginning of the encounter, each PC and NPC (I assume minions can be taken as groups) rolls to determine to the order of the Initiative slots (PC or NPC). Then during each round, you move down the order and assign a specific character to the slot as they take their turn.

My questions are:

  1. Slots are reassigned each round, correct?
  2. If a PC or NPC is defeated, is a corresponding slot removed from the order?
  1. Yes, that is correct. Each round you can change up which slot you use
  2. Incorrect. Slots, once generated, are always there. If an NPC slot comes up and there's no NPC to take it, it's just ignored
22 minutes ago, klempad said:

Story Points

The Story Point pool consists of 1 SP per player and 1 for the GM. That is all it can ever be, right?

That's all there is: 1 per person at the table. With the back-and-forth nature of them, however, it's not a big deal and not as limiting as one might suppose at first glance.

22 minutes ago, klempad said:

It seems kind of limiting, especially with a small group. I was wondering if anyone has considered a way to increase the pool (perhaps as a 2 Triumph/Despair result)? Or would that throw things out of whack?

It's not limiting. I run a game for 3 players, and having 4 SPs is enough for all but the most tense of encounters (where the PCs are spending them faster than I can). Adding to that pool permanently would just bloat the pool for very little gain.

That being said, there is one Heroic Ability that can temporarily add to the PCs SP pool. Supreme All The Facts (RoT75): 

"For each fact you learn using the ability, you gain a temporary Story Point that you or another player may spend before the end of the session. A temporary Story Point is removed from the pool when it is used, but it is not converted to a GM Story Point. When you use these temporary Story Points, describe how the information your character learned or provided benefits the group."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a large group of players, sometimes five or six at the table. What we do for Story Points is we roll one of the Star Wars Force dice to determine the colour of each participant's Story Point (including the GM). This gives us a fixed point pool size, but a variable in what colour Story Points we begin with. Flipping a coin would work just as well, but we use the Force dice because we have them and... there's no other use for them outside of Star Wars!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For clarity:

Each round you can change up which slot you use, but the slots still remain static.

Example:

PC | NPC | PC | NPC | NPC | PC | PC

These stay as they are for the duration of combat, however when the turn moves to the next position, a corresponding character type who has not acted in the round may now act. Once that character has completed their turn, you move to the next position.

The only time the order changes is when your character takes a specific critical injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe can be a Triumph used to move a Destiny Point from GM pool to Players pool?

I've let this options to my players, however they always come with better use of Triumph (critical, advantage, upgrade) and never used to flip a Destiny Point.

Considering that a Triumph can upgrade the next check, is the same base effect of a Destiny Point flipped (but Destiny Point can be used for many other things).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, Lord_Lele said:

Maybe can be a Triumph used to move a Destiny Point from GM pool to Players pool?

I've let this options to my players, however they always come with better use of Triumph (critical, advantage, upgrade) and never used to flip a Destiny Point.

Considering that a Triumph can upgrade the next check, is the same base effect of a Destiny Point flipped (but Destiny Point can be used for many other things).

One of the critical hit effects does this (Easy Discouraging Wound).  Not a bad option for a player with DeadEye to pick when rolling an easy crit if the party makes heavy use of story points.

Although I would kinda discourage doing it as a triumph, as it takes away from the GM pool, which could create deadlock for the GM.

 

Edited by Silidus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drainsmith said:

Story Point. It may seem like semantics, but this is Genesys and not everyone here has experience with Star Wars.

Sorry, I play with both and I mix them up all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...