JJH_BATMAN

Strain vs. Stress: what is scarier?

Depends on the ship and situation. 3 Agi ship at Range 3 going to get shot that turn, I'll probably rather have the strain and preserve my maneuverablility next turn. 1 or 2 Agi ship, I'll probably be happier with stress.

5 hours ago, Rangor said:

I dont know if the combo of strain and tractor will happen very often. 

But this is what really scares me.

Indeed. Combinations are going to be scary. Jam & Strain to screw up green dice. Ion & Tractor to mess up manoeuvrability.

A strain token is a more immediate threat than a stress token; if you're being shot and are strained, it has a direct impact on your survivability. If you have a decent blue dial, a stress token is just a minor inconvenience and is next turn's problem.

If you're not being shot at immediately, though, a strain token is more 'liveable with' - -1 agility is probably no worse in practice than not having actions, and you can pull a red manoeuvre or action whilst strained.

Neither. 

It all depends on the timing and the specifics of the ship. They're both more effective at different times. If you get a stress token during combat, it really isn't the worst thing in the world. Yes, it limits your maneuvers next turn but it doesn't change anything about that combat. And obviously if you get a strain during combat while someone is pointing at you, that's going to have an effect.

On the other hand, getting a strain during activation doesn't bother you at all. You still get your actions, if you have the ability you can choose to reposition to avoid shots and nullify the strain before it affects anything. But stress prevents actions. Stress prevents red maneuvers. Get a stress at the wrong time during activation and it can cause problems. Many ships live and die by their actions. Stress can block ordnance by preventing locks. 

If I absolutely had to pick one, I think I'd actually say stress is scarier. Stress has more resultant effects, and fewer ways to clear it. Strain is cleared after it first takes effect. Strain will only ever be a problem once. Stress persists. If you don't dial in a blue next turn, you lose your action *again*. You aren't allowed to dial in a red maneuver. And as a final point, Strain's effect isn't even that bad. 

You will dodge more damage with 2 green dice and a focus than with three naked green dice. Strain lets you take your action to get that focus. The ratio is less favourable for 2 agility ships dropping to one, but even then the difference in expected hits is relatively minor. 

Stress takes away maneuvers.

Stress takes away actions. Actions get you out of firing arcs. Actions get you into position to shoot. Actions help you avoid obstacles. Actions let you fire your ordnance. Actions let you repair damage cards. Actions let you recover shields.

And most importantly actions provide dice mods. Dice mods lead to victory. 

Stress is worse than strain. 

40 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

Does anyone know if a ship that has both a stress and strain performs a blue maneuver will they both clear? What about multiple strain token? Does one blue clear all of them?

21 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

Depends on the ship I'd say, if you do a blue move and have both stress and strain, do you have to pick and remove only one?

we don't know yet

Is the reason why people assume strain and stress aren't removed at the same time is because stress is removed one at a time on blues?

I guess I could see why that assumption is made but I don't think it makes sense. It's a separate effect and they really shouldn't overlap in that way.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

If they really want it to work that way, it’d have to be a Rules Reference update, I think.

So it’s not likely, but it is possible if they choose to, for Stress/Strain stack for sake of Blue maneuvers.

Edited by SpiderMana

10 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

If they really want it to work that way, it’d have to be a Rules Reference update, I think.

So it’s not likely, but it is possible if they choose to, for Stress/Strain stack for sake of Blue maneuvers.

TBF, there has to be a RRG update for us to really know how Strain works at all (outside of the rule booklet likely to come with the squad pack).

14 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

TBF, there has to be a RRG update for us to really know how Strain works at all (outside of the rule booklet likely to come with the squad pack).

I meant the RRG under stress says that you remove one stress upon completing a blue maneuver.

They can say the exact same thing about Strain (or allow you to clear two strain with one blue, who knows), but if they want to limit you to only clearing one strain or one stress, they have to actually change the wording that currently exists.

Again, perfectly possible, but not quite as likely as just adding.

5 hours ago, Innese said:

Strain gives us a use for R5-TK!

”He doesn’t look so good... Lets fire a shot across the bow to cheer him up!”

So at a minimum waste a shot, at the worst waste a shot + damage your own ship to remove a -1 AGI?

Seems bad...

23 minutes ago, BlackHalo2 said:

So at a minimum waste a shot, at the worst waste a shot + damage your own ship to remove a -1 AGI?

Seems bad...

15 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Seems like it was probably a joke.

Mostly a joke, aye...

Then again I am running 5 HWKs at a tournament this coming Sunday...

Edited by Innese