Sign in to follow this  
Ardiwynn

No new factions. More upgrades?

In my first post, I asked whether people wanted to see new factions, or if new factions could actually work.  

I got some amazing feedback about how that could ruin a well balanced game, take people out of immersion or under preforming sales of new factions as most people wouldn't recognize and feel the some sort of attachment to them, as we do with the ISD or the MC-80. There was also discussion about doing different era's of time but I'm not sure how well those could function. Would they be new factions? Would they just be expansions for our current factions? to be honest. I don't know.

This however, got me thinking. What if instead of factions/new era ships, we just got new upgrade cards, sold outside of ships along with selling current upgrade cards in packs. Admirals and heroes from Rogue One as well as the new trilogy. If it's limited to just upgrade cards as well. We could grab Jedi, and others from TCW. 

I would like some iteration of this to end cross faction purchases and keep the game fresh. There are only so many capital ships to produce but many more commanders, officers, pilots, tech, objectives, scenarios, etc. 

FFG has two mechanisms (it seems) for distributing product:

1) New ships, with included upgradesZl.

2) Ship-free Campaigns.

Being that's all we’ve seen so far, it’s less of a stress to think that there could be upgrade inclusions in a campaign pack (since card is card and there was a lot of punch card in Corellian conflict)  .... than to assume we’ll get card only packs in lieu of ships.

Of course, all said and done - anything is good 😁

I'm totally fine with any sort of new content.  That said, excluding new factions, I would prefer to stick to minimal new ships in the current factions - there's already a great variety of roles and ship functions.  But I absolutely want more content, so ship cards and upgrades are a total go for me.

I'd prefer they come packaged in campaigns, since that gives us even more content.  Then I would want standalone card packs, because this would be the cheapest.  Finally, as new ship packs (ala Chimaera), because I'm going to buy it anyways, but really only want the cards.  But upgrades and commanders and titles and even ship cards are all great additions imo.

campaign boxes

CC campaign introduced a lot of new squadrons.  Additional campaigns could add even more squadron variety, or even start introducing new versions of ships.  They could also easily introduce other upgrades or commanders.

This doesn't require new models, molds, plastic hardware, etc...just cardboard and cards.  

Would love small decks with set card lists like their living card games have, a mix of old but sought after cards and new ones. Great way to expand the game and give me an excuse to buy something. I literally saw a half price victory class and was like, meh. We need more stuff asap as I'm bored as **** of what we have despite loving the game still. They need to get moving on new releases, each faction needs 2 or 3 ships and a small pack each year, plus a campaign or something similar. After this wait for the SSD I dread to think of how long it will take to get something of similar size again.

Decided to go buy the half price victory after writing this and look at what else they had. Core set is on sale for nearly 30% off and most everything is out of stock. This is meeplemart in Canada and basically the best game store in the country. Maybe a restock is coming but then why is the core on such a good sale? No releases for a year or whatever leads to less interest and eventually a dead game. FFG needs to get focused and support the game, all we have had in a year is a PDF to go with a ship I was told I could buy 2 months ago.

Eh, *Eastern* Canada, maybe.

Plus, with the closing of their B&M and their Gaming Section, which I believe happend early last year, they stopped getting priority restocks via Asmodee Canada, as they were relegated to an "online only" service platform...  

Edited by Drasnighta

I honestly think we will see a new campaign box very soon. (Very soon in FFG terms = about 12 months)

We've heard rumors "WEight" (Wave 8 ) is in play testing, it could incldue a campaign box but I think that is unlikely. If they do release product alongside a campaign box it's either going to be a new floitlla for each faction or a HUGE Rebel ship with the campaign centered around the SSD and the Rebel HUGE classes. 

It would be most excellent for the campaign box to come with new titles, new commanders, and/or retrofits for existing ships. There should be a carrier version of the Liberty, a fleet command MC80. 

Edited by eliteone

21 minutes ago, eliteone said:

I honestly think we will see a new campaign box very soon. (Very soon in FFG terms = about 12 months)

We've heard rumors "WEight" (Wave 8 ) is in play testing, it could incldue a campaign box but I think that is unlikely. If they do release product alongside a campaign box it's either going to be a new floitlla for each faction or a HUGE Rebel ship with the campaign centered around the SSD and the Rebel HUGE classes. 

It would be most excellent for the campaign box to come with new titles, new commanders, and/or retrofits for existing ships. There should be a carrier version of the Liberty, a fleet command MC80. 

I still don't understand, after all this time (deliberate setup) why would the Rebel need a huge ship. Armada isn't symetric, rebels aquire moee and more versatile ships and squadrons, while Imps build bigger and bigger doomsday weapons. 

Don't need even number of ships. Don't need similar squadrons. Just give a rebel expansion parallel the SSD, but a huge rebel ship wouldn't make sense IMO. 

Just now, Rimsen said:

I still don't understand, after all this time (deliberate setup) why would the Rebel need a huge ship. Armada isn't symetric, rebels aquire moee and more versatile ships and squadrons, while Imps build bigger and bigger doomsday weapons. 

Don't need even number of ships. Don't need similar squadrons. Just give a rebel expansion parallel the SSD, but a huge rebel ship wouldn't make sense IMO. 

They don't *need* it. You could make the Raddus or a Star Hawk as a large base ship at a starting point of 150 points. Stronger than an ISD, much weaker than an SSD. 

I want to see a dauntless for the rebels. Bulwark would be dumb or other supers would be dumb, I agree. I just don't get it really, this should be a no brainer as the lore is full of ships to use and essentially all the design of the models are done. Render it, make a model and mould from that, and add rules that fit the role it fills/they need it to fill. Where are the dreadnoughts to give us a ship that both sides can use? Why have we not seen a space station yet with defense capabilities like a Golan, imagine the awesome matches that would give us if it wasn't just a piece of cardboard. The issue is that each wave needs so many seperate items like admiral's and multiple titles to go with the ships, yet those could be there own releases in between. Again, the game is good but in the current market they need to keep adding stuff, look GW now vs 6 years ago. They were constantly being attacked for slow releases, high prices and so on. Now no one cares and just keep eating it up and jokingly complain about how they have no money for all the releases. Yet people buy them all and their value is way up. Meanwhile FFG got bought and now I hear asmodee is in a bad spot and may get sold. They produce a lot of stuff but don't get that if you have multiple miniature games that receive sporadic support at best it isn't going to keep people's interest. Ask Spartan Games about how it worked for them. Oh wait....

2 hours ago, eliteone said:

They don't *need* it. You could make the Raddus or a Star Hawk as a large base ship at a starting point of 150 points. Stronger than an ISD, much weaker than an SSD. 

Or they can release it as a huge ship, but using two medium base ships with a much smaller spacing between them.  That way it could be put into the game as something that flies differently than the pickle and winged MC80, but is still dwarfed by a SSD.