Sign in to follow this  
CaptainJaguarShark

Keyforge: Age of Ascension

I am excited for this and am totally bought into the hype.

I've been thinking though, once this set is out does that mean they stop making CoTA? It's an interesting way to move the game forward if that's how they are doing it. I think you could speculate that even if power creep sneaks into future sets your older decks still increase in value on account of just being from the first set.

It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out.

52 minutes ago, TheSpitfired said:

I am excited for this and am totally bought into the hype.

I've been thinking though, once this set is out does that mean they stop making CoTA? It's an interesting way to move the game forward if that's how they are doing it. I think you could speculate that even if power creep sneaks into future sets your older decks still increase in value on account of just being from the first set.

It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out.

Typically the old set is phased out but KeyForge is not a typical game. It would be interesting if they kept it around but in much smaller numbers. 

Overall I'm extremely excited for the new set. I was hoping we would get a completely new fiction or two while phasing out the old ones but its a good concept to phase out the more common cards for something else. 

The new starter set looks to be a lot better than the previous one. I spent some money on nice tokens for myself but it would be nice to have some extra cheap tokens for new players.

1 hour ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

It seems too good to be true, but FFG almost made it sound like you could still use Call of the Archon decks in organized play/chainbound events. Is that the case?

Yes. I imagine there could be a time when they need more of a hard reset in terms of old decks being compatible but the nature of this game, and the way they are cutting out old cards from the card-list to add new ones. Unless they really goof up the power level somewhere in cutting and adding cards, there shouldn't be a significant reason to cut out any particular set. I hope they manage to keep it so that decks are usable for the foreseeable future.

I bet they're removing cards:

- That aren't fun (restringulus for example)
- That have troublesome wording (Biometric Backup)
- That may cause unforeseen trouble for the balance (Library access)
- That are plain boring

However it seems like they went for "bad/quirky" cards as well this time, like Yurk (Though I can see good uses to clear your hand from undesired cards, it's going to be a troublesome card pretty often), Xanthyx Harvester (Hard one to make work), or Eureka! (Archive 2 random cards... As an Alpha.)

Am I the only one that thinks this production was shoddy at best?  Love the new info, but fan youtube channels are better quality.  

Edited by dpuck1998

42 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

I bet they're removing cards:

- That aren't fun (restringulus for example)
- That have troublesome wording (Biometric Backup)
- That may cause unforeseen trouble for the balance (Library access)
- That are plain boring

However it seems like they went for "bad/quirky" cards as well this time, like Yurk (Though I can see good uses to clear your hand from undesired cards, it's going to be a troublesome card pretty often), Xanthyx Harvester (Hard one to make work), or Eureka! (Archive 2 random cards... As an Alpha.)

They did also make a statement that cards that are removed will be in some way replaced. It didn't sound like a 1:1 sort of thing but they suggested similarities. The cards that we know have been added may suggest something about the cards that were removed.

But overall, I have to agree with your description above- except that Biomatrix Backup is a non-issue as they could print it with a corrected wording.

I don't think they are necessarily avoiding "plain boring," though. Yantzee Gang is just a re-flavored Pit Demon. They are effective and efficient but they are pretty dang boring.

16 minutes ago, dpuck1998 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this production was shoddy at best?  Love the new info, but fan youtube channels are better quality.  

You most definitely are not. I imagine their streaming budget was actually smaller than some fan channels have, especially more successful ones like Team Covenant. The success of those streamers may actually be what's leading them to have more streams but they need to work harder at it.

3 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

You most definitely are not. I imagine their streaming budget was actually smaller than some fan channels have, especially more successful ones like Team Covenant. The success of those streamers may actually be what's leading them to have more streams but they need to work harder at it.

Different priorities / requirements make it hard... Team Covenant (and others) can wax philo and freestyle to some degree.  I'm betting that corporate channels like FFG's have approved blurbs and scripts to which they 'must' adhere.  That makes the tone and flow choppy at times.

Plus, everyone who gets on stage or something for the first time winds up overusing something - verbal pauses, other pauses, speed, jokes, puns...  It's hard to sound like yourself if you're trying to sound like an 'approved' version of yourself.

23 hours ago, Derrault said:

@CaptainJaguarShark Shadows already has a 5. Power action: steal creature; Dodger.  

Dodger has Fight: not Action:

Fight: is arguably more interesting, as you have to pick your battles and consider whether board control is more important. With the action, you almost always are thinking more about keeping it alive and don't even consider fighting with it the majority of the time.

5 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Fight: is arguably more interesting, as you have to pick your battles and consider whether board control is more important. With the action, you almost always are thinking more about keeping it alive and don't even consider fighting with it the majority of the time.

Egad so it is!

11 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

It also is arguably worse, since it can be shut down by not playing creatures. Although obviously there is a trade-off, where you can combine board control and Æmber control with one creature use when there are creatures on the board.

3 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

It also is arguably worse, since it can be shut down by not playing creatures. Although obviously there is a trade-off, where you can combine board control and Æmber control with one creature use when there are creatures on the board.

I wasn't arguing that one is better. I was saying that Fight: Steal is more interesting than Action: Steal. But sometimes boring effects need to be in the game. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I wasn't arguing that one is better. I was saying that Fight: Steal is more interesting than Action: Steal. But sometimes boring effects need to be in the game. 

Not even sure about that, the new card makes the decision between controlling the board or the Æmber pool more difficult (or rather a choice at all).

On 2/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, TechnoGolem said:

Typically the old set is phased out but KeyForge is not a typical game. It would be interesting if they kept it around but in much smaller numbers. 

Overall I'm extremely excited for the new set. I was hoping we would get a completely new fiction or two while phasing out the old ones but its a good concept to phase out the more common cards for something else. 

The new starter set looks to be a lot better than the previous one. I spent some money on nice tokens for myself but it would be nice to have some extra cheap tokens for new players.

I actually wondered if at some point we'd see new houses rotate in and out. Not yet it seems but they may do something like a "block" of sets with 7 specific houses then do a new block with 7 new houses, etc. That's what I would find interesting, especially if they mix up themes. You could do a host of possibilities then without necessarily doing power creep.

Plus as a player i think it would be interesting to have a game later on where a deck with 'classic shadow' faces off against a new deck with whatever the stealing house is.

EDIT: Oh and let's get the obvious questions out of the way now:

1. Can you play multiple "alpha" cards in a turn (as long as they are all the first thing you do?) or are they also limited to 1 per turn? 
  2. Wild Wormhole etc, what happens if a card like that pulls an alpha card? Are alpha cards functionally immune to mimicry?
Edited by Simplegarak

@Simplegarak I’m going to assume to mirror omega cards once you play a single alpha card you can’t play another one because its no longer the first card played. The reminder text states ‘ You can only play this card before doing anything else this step.’ Meaning you either have to play a single alpha card first thing in step 3 or you can’t play any alpha cards at all if you do anything else in step 3. Mimicry might bypass this, not %100 sure on that though. 

Edited by Hyperjayman