period3

What I realized about the scum conversion kit...

I have a large collection of Rebel and Imperial ships, but haven't had that much interest in the scum faction -- one being that it would have been expensive to buy into it in 1.0...

The conversion kit changes things: it seems I already own quite a few ships that could be used for scum:  3x Y-wings, 4x z-95, 2x slave one, 1 hwk.   My question is what else should I be buying from 1.0 that would best complement these ships and allow me to use more of the conversion kit?  These are my choices and rough costs to make the math easier.  I want to spend $100 CAD or less, excluding the cost of the conversion kit. 

$30:  Punishing One*, Shadow Caster*, ig-2000

$15: Star Viper*, mist Hunter*, kihraxz, m3a, fang, protectorate, quadjumper

Items marked with an asterisk are on sale.  (In the $15 category, that means they're actually about $2 cheaper.  In the $30 category, they're as much as $12 cheaper)

(Note I am not a competitive player, so I don't care about any rule that might otherwise exclude me from using rebel paint schemes.  I might also eventually repaint a few Zs and Ys)

Thanks!

Fang or two are must haves, in my opinion. Fenn Rau is one of the best Scum Ace options.

IG2000 is a good call, but you really really want 2 of them because of how the title works. It’s a fun list and great ships, but it’s not really going to leverage the rest of your ships (I have a really fun list right now with double IG plus Lando’s Falcon and IG crew though :) )

I’d deprioritize the JM5k for now. It’s really not good (Dengar might work...kinda).

Shadow caster has interesting options, but Asajj is so expensive in-game. I want to bring her back though, so maybe there’s hope. Depending on cost, I’d consider that.

Of your options, I agree with the Fang for power, the Starviper for interesting play and the Shadow Caster for cashing in on the sale.

27 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Shadow caster has interesting options, but Asajj is so expensive in-game. I want to bring her back though, so maybe there’s hope. Depending on cost, I’d consider that.

I’ve put Asajj on the table in casual play without feeling handicapped. Not too sure about tournament play as I have so many options in my primary factions right now. Keep her cheap. Really, I just slapped 0-0-0 on her, pretended there wasn’t a turret and just drove her at my enemy. She’s very effective blocking up paths and denying enemy of options. You can also get away with only using target lock as an action and using force tokens to double modify attacks, if you want to be aggressive.

The answer to that one depends on whether you want to use the new Hyperspace format or not.  For Scum, the only legal ships for Hyperspace are Lando's Falcon, Mining Guild TIE, Firespray, Fang, and Escape Craft (comes with Lando's Falcon).  It looks like you're going for 1.0 Scum on sale, which would mean that what you'd be picking up would be largely Extended format ships.  In Extended, 4-LOM (Mist Hunter) is a good support ship; he's been in quite a few lists, and can leverage some of the current Scum conversion kit-only stuff like 0-0-0, a droid Crew found in the conversion kit.  He would definitely pair well with Fang fighters, which I would agree with @ScummyRebel on - they are some of the best close-attack ships in the faction, and the only one legal in Hyperspace (as I noted).  The StarViper is a fun one to play, but the only useful pilot right now is probably Guri.  I haven't seen anything talking about any of the other pilots, and Guri's a good ace, but one that requires some decent support.

Overall, I'd probably second @pfs2222's opinion on pickups - give or take the StarViper, since it's still IMO a little overcosted for the utility it has - Fenn Rau is a better ace to engage some of the other factions' best ships. Quadjumpers are great for irritation ships, Mist Hunter allows you to make use of some of the fun Scum crew, and Fangs give you good playability in both Extended and Hyperspace formats, if you ever want to play in a tournament or organized event, or if you find a playgroup that tends to be more competitive.

24 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I’ve put Asajj on the table in casual play without feeling handicapped. Not too sure about tournament play as I have so many options in my primary factions right now. Keep her cheap. Really, I just slapped 0-0-0 on her, pretended there wasn’t a turret and just drove her at my enemy. She’s very effective blocking up paths and denying enemy of options. You can also get away with only using target lock as an action and using force tokens to double modify attacks, if you want to be aggressive.

I've tried Asajj+Guri post-points (running a super heavy Guri, Asajj/Guri/L3 would also fit, for the faint of the heart), with Asajj running Hate, Zuckuss, Rigged Cargo, and Title. And I'm pretty sure I'll ditch title next time I put it on the table (maybe to swap Hate for Sense).

I liked it quite a lot. Both ships are tanky and hard to chase, and Asajj is great against the natural Guri hunters (Poe, Han/Lando, etc) - blocking, stressing, or both really ****s up their game plans. (I dunno what happens against Kylo because nobody has run him against me)

The Fang Fighter is a very capable ship, and it is legal in the Hyperspace Format to boot.

Similarly, the Firespray and Scum Falcon are also legal in the Hyperspace Format, while also offering some pretty capable builds and a lot of flexibility in how they are kitted out.  The Scum Falcon also comes with the escape craft, which can be flown on its own as a decent support ship, so that pack really yields two ships.

So I'd probably start with those three options: Fang Fighter, Lando's Falcon, and Firespray.  Probably in that order.

After that, you're looking at the Extended Format (which also includes the conversion-kit only ships).  The Starviper is an absolute blast to fly in 2.0, and with a Collision Detector attached they can use it's banked barrel rolls to go all over the place.  Certainly an enjoyable ship to fly.  You'll already have, as you noted, the Y-Wings, Z-95s, and HWK to tinker with, and the HWK is a quality support ship.  Unless you have an strong affinity for any of the bounty hunters from ESB (Hound's Tooth, IG2000, Mist Hunter, Jumpmaster) or Ketsu/Asajj (Shadowcaster), I'd definitely get those ships last (or not at all).  They are some of the most expensive ships (in terms of $$$) and they don't seem to be terribly effective in 2.0, given that large-based ships with a few exceptions still seem pretty 'meh' for the most part.

Enjoy!

(I don’t see where anyone might have already mentioned this, but paint jobs are in no way faction-locked. You can fly your Rebel Yellow Y-Wings in Scum lists as much as you want, at any official events—just so long as you’re not intentionally trying to confuse anyone about what you’re flying.)

I like my Scyks ( e.g. Genesis with Tractor) and Kihraxzes. The latter are unfortunately a little too expensive, T65 are better. Still I have fun with Viktor Hel (Bt1 elsewhere in the squad!) and Cpt Jo(u)stero.

You forgot the M12L Kimogila (heavy hitter, dial got better, killer bullseye) and the Scurrg (Sol Sixxa is fun). Are they sold out in your area?

4Lom is fun, but the G1As dial is brutal, the Gandsman and Zuckuss struggle.

Starviper curvy barrel roll is fun!

10 hours ago, period3 said:

(Note I am not a competitive player, ...

Thanks!

In that case, what do you like to fly from Rebels and Imperials?  The Kihraxz flies a lot like an X-Wing.  The M3-A is sort of like a Tie, less maneuverable, but able to get more firepower with Cannons/Ordnance.  Both of those ships have similar dials and can formation fly very well so a mix of the two ships makes a great 4-5 ship squad.  Star Vipers have those crazy "bank" barrel rolls so they are extremely slippery to pin down once you get used to how they move.  Mist Hunter is sort of a cross between the Y and B wings, a sluggish slugger that can't maneuver well but can take punishment and dish it out.  The Fangs are the air superiority fighter similar to Tie Interceptors but whereas the Tie tries to not get hit, the Fang tries to get in your face and go for the knockout blow before you can respond.  All are fun.  I am a sucker for flying pairs of same ships so I would probably get 2 each of 2 of the small bases and 1-2 large bases of your choice.  If you go with the IG, get 2.

If you are a kitchen table player they are all great, and much more balanced in 2.0 than they were in 1.0 so just about any squad has a chance.  If you do want to get into competitive at some point, well, during the first 6 months, Quad jumpers were very popular in tournaments and Large base ships were virtually extinct, but with the new points adjustment recently there will be a bunch of new archetypes popping up.  And then in 6 months, whichever of those dominated the tourny scene will probably go up in points while other ships/upgrades will come down.  So bottom line is, either way, get what you like and it will be competitive one way or another or one time or another. 

Edited by pickirk01

Thanks for the replies.  I'll probably go with a shadow caster since it's a pretty big savings, and then some combination of Starvipers and Fangs since I like maneuverable ships (x-wing and a-wing are my favorites), and maybe a mist hunter. 

The lando falcon will be high on my list for a future pickup, I like the idea of docking and the escape ship it comes with.  (The VCX-100 and Auzituk gunship are the only rebel ships I don't own -- so I haven't played with these dockable ships before. VCX100 is on sale too, I might end up getting one of those also). 

I like the idea of the m3a, but it seems like the kind of ship I'd want several of, so it could get expensive.  Plus, as I recall, they weren't really used much in 1.0.  Not sure what the situation is with 2.0 but either way, there's enough other stuff to get that i think I'll put this one aside for now.

Starviper, hands down.  It’s the Scum super-fighter.  The things are squirrely as ****, and hilariously unpredictable in the right hands.  Advanced Sensors is practically stapled to it.  

Guri is a beast of an ace, but you have to realize that you shouldn’t be using a Calculate action unless you have to.

Xizor seems lackluster, but keep in mind he’s best with a pile of expendables.  Especially Khiraxz or Z-95s.  He is still fun to fly, if you like power-mad megalomaniacs.

Dalan is probably one of the most underrated aces in the game.  Again, staple Advanced Sensors on him, and look into Daredevil.  He can pull some crazy positioning.

And for the generics, you can do a lot worse than 50pts +/-.

Yeah. I never purchased a 1.0 scum ship except the autothrusters pack (StarViper), but what do you know, the conversion kits drops and Boba/Guri is both good and hella fun.

So of course S&V conversion was purchased with zero impedance. Almost like FFG had some sorta strategy there.

Edited by prauxim

On 2/12/2019 at 7:43 AM, feltipern1 said:

The answer to that one depends on whether you want to use the new Hyperspace format or not. ...

^THIS^

Hyperspace makes the Scum conversion kit an unnecessary purchase. All of the legal ships are already released. Unless you already have a vast scum collection then it would be better to just buy the 2nd edition expansions and forget about the conversion kit.

Edited by Marinealver

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

^THIS^

Hyperspace makes the Scum conversion kit an unnecessary purchase. All of the legal ships are already released. Unless you already have a vast scum collection then it would be better to just buy the 2nd edition expansions and forget about the conversion kit.

Good point - the major incentive for players to buy a Scum conversion kit was to use the ships they already owned, and although it's a great time to get steeply discounted 1.0 product, the question "is it worth it" is a valid one that @Marinealver asks.

For me it seems worth it to get the scum conversion kit since I have so many Rebel ships (and an imperial one) that can be used with scum (3 y-wings, 4 z95s, 1 hwk, and 2 slave ones.  To re-buy those would cost a lot more than the conversion kit).  

I ended up ordering:

• 1 shadowcaster ($30)
  • 1 misthunter ($14)
  • 2 starvipers ($14 x2)
  • 1 fang (expensive 2.0 version, $21 CAD!)

Plus a scum conversion kit and a VCX-100 that was on sale for $40.   

I've little interest in hyperspace at this time.  It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's aimed at home/non-competitive play.  Maybe once in a while we might agree to play a hyperspace restricted game, but we're probably just as likely to define our own limited pool of ships/upgrades if we ever wanted to do this).    Also, we have pretty complete Rebel and imperial collections (only missing the Auzituk and TIE Aggressor right now) so we can always use those to try out new formats like hyperspace.

22 hours ago, Managarmr said:

I like my Scyks ( e.g. Genesis with Tractor) and Kihraxzes. The latter are unfortunately a little too expensive, T65 are better. Still I have fun with Viktor Hel (Bt1 elsewhere in the squad!) and Cpt Jo(u)stero.

You forgot the M12L Kimogila (heavy hitter, dial got better, killer bullseye) and the Scurrg (Sol Sixxa is fun). Are they sold out in your area?

4Lom is fun, but the G1As dial is brutal, the Gandsman and Zuckuss struggle.

Starviper curvy barrel roll is fun!

They aren't sold out, but they are full priced.  For the first purchase, I wanted to lock in the sale prices as it adds up when buying several ships.  I made an exception to buy a Fang since so many recommended one of those.  Plus it's the first 2.0 ship I'm actually buying, so I'm a bit curious about the mini itself and any improvements FFG might have made in their process (if any).   

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

^THIS^

well not quite. Rebel Falcon nor Tie Striker's been released yet.

Edited by MegaSilver

32 minutes ago, period3 said:

I've little interest in hyperspace at this time.  It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's aimed at home/non-competitive play.  Maybe once in a while we might agree to play a hyperspace restricted game, but we're probably just as likely to define our own limited pool of ships/upgrades if we ever wanted to do this).    Also, we have pretty complete Rebel and imperial collections (only missing the Auzituk and TIE Aggressor right now) so we can always use those to try out new formats like hyperspace.

Interestingly enough, I'm also not a super-competitive player, but I enjoy the Hyperspace format, and about 70 percent of my lists are actually constructed in it.  I find it's not that much different from regular casual play, at least with my playgroup.  It's also actually a good "learn-to-play" format, since the content right now is only limited to re-released and new-content ships or really small factions, so some of the crazy stuff from Extended doesn't fit in.

9 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

well not quite. Rebel Falcon nor Tie Striker's been released yet.

Those are not in the scum. TIE Striker is coming in Wave 3 and OT Falcon is in Wave 4. which goes back to the other criticism that  those conversion kits are just early access to those ships. Much like the 1st Order Conversion kit. There is nothing in the Scum conversion kit outside of Wave 1 expansions that is Hyperspace legal.

Edited by Marinealver

On 2/13/2019 at 4:04 AM, ScummyRebel said:

Fang or two are must haves, in my opinion. Fenn Rau is one of the best Scum Ace options.

IG2000 is a good call, but you really really want 2 of them

This ^

4_LOM is also a good option for scum. u have a hawk so u get Palob who along with Fenn is one of the best scum pilots right now.... even with the points jump for hawk title he's still worth it imo.

20 hours ago, freakyg3 said:

If you are in Toronto check out Meeplemart or Game Schooled - they have pretty good 1.0 sales on right now

Meeplemart is actually where I ordered from.  Thanks for the tip about Game Schooled!  They were blowing out a bunch of ships for $6 each (unfortunately there was a limit of one for all of the ones I tried).   i picked up a second fang, a second tie striker, an auzituk gunship (my first), and an m3a interceptor (also a first).   The other ships were either out of stock, or ones that i already had several of.   

So I guess I'm way overbudget now, but i got good prices on everything except the first fang so I don't feel too bad.