Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

the most important question for weaker ships and wave 3 wave 4 stuff: Strong MISSILES or torpedoes?

You all are seriously missing the point. While there's some seriously fancy combo-wing going on in the republic upgrades and the seps stuff, what really is necessary to know is how to buff up the attack power of most of these 2 die ships, the Torrent and the non-7B Delta. 

While we do know about Proton Torpedoes already, if these ships use Missiles, then we need new Missiles. Our current set of missiles makes all the missile ships completely underwhelming: see Gunboat, Z95, Tie Adv, TAP, Tie Agg. 

Frankly also, we will probably need more Torpedo variety, as currently really the only ones really worth running are the expensive Proton Torpedoes. 

Going off fluff I’d be pretty confident in saying the torrent and Delta will both have missile slots, not torp slots. The delta isn’t too much of an issue due to both of its configurations which help it offensively. The torrent is more concerning. It’s either going to be really cheap, like I’m expecting 23-24pt cheap so you can swarm them. Or I’m hoping for double missile slots so it can equipped barrage rockets, but that might just be me dreaming. :P

There is a new torp coming in wave 4 too. The return of the Plasma torp! Only 3 red dice but a wall of text so it’s difficult to judge how good it is yet. 

13 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

... then we need new Missiles. Our current set of missiles makes all the missile ships completely underwhelming: see Gunboat, Z95, Tie Adv, TAP, Tie Agg. 

I'm not sure I agree.  The Republic has enough synergy with various pilots and upgrades to improve on existing Missiles.   Having R3 and Synchronized Consoles with Cluster Missiles will be devastating.  Throw in all sorts of things such Battle Meditation and other special pilot abilities and you see something that those other ships can't replicate. 

12 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Read the article again. Torrents for sure are stated shooting missiles. No mention of torpedoes. 

The odds that the author of that article even knows that there is a technical difference in X-Wing between "missiles" and "torpedoes" is not great.  It's also worth noting that preview articles have typically been awful with regards to accuracy about the mechanics of the actual game.  Historically, it's been as if the person they have writing X-Wing articles doesn't work on the X-Wing product line, but is forced to write the articles based on a conversation he or she overheard at the water cooler while two X-Wing developers were chatting about the newest set on which they were working.

That said, what is more credible is that the upgrade fan shows two missiles (clusters and concussion) but no torpedoes, suggesting that the torrents and deltas both only have access to missiles (if the delta has access to ordnance at all... I don't know the lore precedence here).

I'm thinking Homing Missiles on the V-19s. They'll pass the lock they don't need to use for a re-roll to another V-19 with Homing Missiles via Sync console or keeping range one. High I Jedi takes a lock or Battle Meditation or Oddball with Sync Console and his buddy Swoop to get the lock. 

V-19s get the lock from Sync consoles or co-ordinated actions then will pass it to an ARC with Proton Torpedoes who launches his ordnance with a full mods since he took a focus as his action. Get some re-rolls with Sinker or spread some tokens with Axe. Maybe Tucker picks up a free focus and the lock that's been passed around. 

I'm thinking better missiles with what we've seen of the Clones might be a be-careful-what-you-ask-for sort of thing. 

Edited by Frimmel

17 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The spread for the Delta-7 single pack has no missiles or torpedoes and neither the Delta-7 nor the Delta-7B were equipped with them in universe.

That answers that then!

CiS really needs the strong missiles, but they're getting their weirdo-barrage rockets for that so no worries

Now, the Delta and Torrent do NOT need these as they have alternate functions.

The Delta has its title, already making it a 3 die ship, and/or some potent support capabilities

swz32_battle-meditation.pngswz32_obi-wan-kenobi.pngswz32_saesee-tiin.pngswz_clt.pngswz_delta-7b.png

As for the Torrent...it's utter chaffe (unless it gets barrage!)

Otherwise, use yer ARCS!!!!

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think players in general have underestimated most of the missiles. While I still feel Cluster Missiles are a little subpar, and I don't entirely understand the 66% price hike Homing Missiles got, Concussion Missiles and Ion Missiles are solid. Not as good as Proton Torpedoes, obviously, but not all that far behind a 3-dice primary. They also both have three charges, and if you live long enough to actually run out, you're quite likely ahead in the game. Sure, getting the lock with a low initiative ship can be difficult, but there's plenty of coordinate tricks you can do at this stage, and it definitely looks like Rep and CIS will be able to take part.

Just now, Max Teranous said:

Pretty sure the homing missile hike was because of these guys! As someone mentioned before, giving up a single Guaranteed hit is fine. But when someone can point 5 of them at you tho it gets somewhat better !

With the Republic's Lock passing Mod (Synchronized Console) I can see it having been done as a preemptive measure. I'm aware of nothing that was in use at the time that seemed to be abusing them.

swz32_synchronized-console.png

17 minutes ago, Max Teranous said:

Pretty sure the homing missile hike was because of these guys! As someone mentioned before, giving up a single Guaranteed hit is fine. But when someone can point 5 of them at you tho it gets somewhat better !

11 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

With the Republic's Lock passing Mod (Synchronized Console) I can see it having been done as a preemptive measure. I'm aware of nothing that was in use at the time that seemed to be abusing them.

A-Wings got a price decrease, too. Not saying they break Homing Missiles, but it’s another thing to consider.

19 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

A-Wings got a price decrease, too. Not saying they break Homing Missiles, but it’s another thing to consider.

As did the Scyks by around 2 points across the board. So that is a possibility. :)

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

collected card images

Hmm, this was the first time I really processed that Obi-Wan Kenobi is I5 while Seasee Tin is only I4.  This seems weird to me, given that Obi-Wan repeatedly notes that he hates flying and seems uncomfortable in the cockpit during AotCs and RotS, while Seasee Tin was supposedly the order's best pilot, even rivaling Anakin's talents.

Now, I know FFG has said that they moved to "Initiative" instead of "Pilot Skill" so that higher numbers we're meant to be 'better' pilots than lower numbers, but ... come'on, we all know it's the same!  🤣

2 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

If you take 1 damage from the Homing Missile, can they pass the lock with Sync? Have you performed an attack?

I'd say "yes," because declaring a defender is part of the attack, and the card concludes that you skip the attack and defense dice step, but that the "attack is treated as hitting."  So it still clearly seems to be an attack, just without dice rolls.

2 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

This seems weird to me, given that Obi-Wan repeatedly notes that he hates flying and seems uncomfortable in the cockpit during AotCs and RotS

He's Star Wars' Quigley. Hates doing something but **** good at it.