stuffedskullcat

Ten Numb: Elusive or Debris Gambit?

I've been having fun with a Corran, Ten Numb, and Gray Squadron Norra Y-wing (Woohoo! Thanks, points drop!) list, and can't really get a bead on what I prefer on Ten; Elusive or Debris Gambit?

DG gives me the option of a white evade with Advanced Sensors followed by a red maneuver and stress, or a red evade coupled with a blue or white maneuver. Whereas Elusive gives me a chance to reroll and spend my stress... I'm leaning towards DG but I'm curious what you might think?

I have used Elusive on Ten. With his ability to spend stress, he can potentially be doing red moves every turn, keeping Elusive charged. 

While not on Ten, I did have DG on Braylen. The red action was very nice for when I wanted to charge his ability, but didn't want to barrel roll or have something to block the roll. This can work on Ten as well, giveing him essentially a focus and evade for combat round.

I think both are solid options, though I do still lean towards Elusive on Ten.

I’m currently leaning towards DG but Elusive is great too as long as you can keep taking those red moves and spending the stress. DG on the otherhand is better on the forward approach providing a guarunteed defensive mod and an offensive one, assuming you can keep clear of obstacles.

Edited by Wraithdt

Both are great options.

Defensively DG is much more consistent. There is always a chance you don't roll a focus that round and have to keep your stress, but the evade stress gives you one guaranteed evade result every round, leaving your stress to mod attack dice or mod a second green die. I see this as an advantage since Ten is i4.

That being said, Elusive doesn't cost an action to gain, which in turn allows for a lock or barrel roll action instead. Elusive allows him to be more maneuverable and stack his offense. This is a more flimsy but more adaptable build. As long as you can keep your arc hot, this build will probably output more damage overall.

So I guess it depends on your playstyle. I also think the accompanying upgrades differ as well. FCS is a solid upgrade when paired with DG. It will be more predictable and jousty but it will have solid mods on both attack and defense. AS with Elusive provides a very adaptable build, but is also limited by Ten's i4. It does open up all of your action bar to be used though, so if you're good at the chess aspects of X-wing then this may prove a better build. With more options comes more variance though so it'll depend on how you play and Ten's role in the squad.

It might come down more to player ability than cards, but I really struggle with Debris Gambit. I rarely get to use it the way I want. I've run it with Adv Sensors on Ten, planning to dial in a red and then do a white evade before the maneuver with AS. The red charges Ten's ability, and you're left with a focus and evade token. Solid. 

But the number of times I've wanted to do that and not been in range 1 of asteroid.... On the other hand, those times when I really need to do a white or blue maneuver, don't want to barrel roll and can't block the roll I seem to find myself at range 1 of a rock, where DG won't get me the stress. You also can't link the evade, so if you want to self stress and take an evade and are by a rock and did a white maneuver, you're kind of out of luck. 

It's just too unreliable for me, to dependent on an array of actions.

Elusive is nowhere near as good as dealing with a blank evade result as DG, but it's much, much easier to trigger. You also get to 'stockpile' it if you don't need it. Dial a red, recharge Elusive, but then don't get shot? Well great, you've still got that defensive re-roll after you do a blue next turn. 

I don't think Elusive is great, but there's no doubt it's at its (second) most efficient home on Ten (the first being 4-LOM ).

Ten's real problem is attacking re-rolls, IMO.

2 hours ago, Xeletor said:

Is squad leader a good option after the point increase?

I think for 10 points, it's not good enough. It's the same cost as Advanced Sensors, and I'd sooner take that on either named B-Wing to give them better action economy for all the red on their dial. I just think it's better to give Braylen, say, a focus and his re-rolls or Ten a lock and his pseudo-focus than it is to pass actions around. 

Depends on the list, obviously. Braylen could be decent as a way of helping an ordnance carrier get double mods while also being an attacking threat himself, but he's very expensive for such a simple role. Is he a better wingman for Proton Torps Wedge than Dutch, for example? Dutch with ICT and VTG can do basically the same job as Braylen for a big 8 points cheaper without having to deal with stress, with a very different sort of attacking threat, a dial that pairs better with the X-Wing's and only missing out on the defensive re-roll and a better shield/hull ratio. The key difference is that Braylen can co-ordinate a focus and let Wedge use his high Init to better get locks, while Dutch can only give Wedge locks at I4. Is that worth 8 points? I genuinely don't know. 

I think relying more on the B-Wings built in methods of self-stress like the red on the dial or the linked barrel roll is better for them than investing so heavily in a situationally good upgrade. 

Go with Elusive.  I've used him and Braylen Stram with it and have been incredibly successful.  B-wings are my new favorite Rebel ships now with the stress usage.  

I wasn't having a lot of luck with Elusive. It just never seemed to matter when rolling defense. Having the more reliable defensive option that can be used for stressing Ten, or as a way to give him an evade and then just taking a red maneuver, seems to work out a little better for me.