GeneralVryth

Purple Actions - What We Know So Far

Yes I know this is yet another purple action topic, but since we got some new trickles of information in the latest article and lots of other tidbits I wanted to try and consolidate all of the information in one place.

First off we have the following pieces of text from FFG articles showing off Republic ships:

The Delta-7 Aethersprite can make even an anonymous Jedi Knight’s Force powers more pronounced, allowing them to perform actions that would be impossible for other pilots. Already capable of a wide range of actions, the Delta-7’s Jedi pilots can spend a Force charge to perform a new purple evade action. Better yet, the Delta-7’s Fine-Tuned Controls give them the power to spend a Force charge to perform a boost or barrel roll action after they fully execute a maneuver.

In our article on the pilots included in the Guardians of the Republic Squadron Pack, we already discussed how their Delta-7 Aethersprite starfighters have the built-in ability to evade after spending a Force charge. With the Battle Meditation upgrade, the Jedi can add a purple coordinate action to their repertoire. Unlike the standard coordinate action, however, the Force charge spent for this action can be used to coordinate two friendly non-limited ships of the same type, potentially letting a Jedi and two Gold Squadron Troopers work together to set up a devastating attack run.

*Do note the ability to coordinate two ships in the description above comes from the Battle Meditation upgrade, rather than being an aspect of purple actions itself.

The one thing we can be sure about from the above is that you need to spend a Force token in some way to use a purple action.

Finally, we have a rumor from the someone related to the Polish distributor (or who works for it, my memory is a little fuzzy there) stating that purple actions are just like normal actions but cost a Force charge to use as well (in the same vein that using a red action gives the pilot a stress).

What do they actually do? It's hard to say from the above.

Option 1, and probably the most likely outcome is the rumor. The way Battle Meditation works makes this a little more likely since two actions on generic pilots in exchange for a single action and a Force charge doesn't sound too bad.

However, the second quote above seems to suggest that the actions trigger different than the rumor implies. So here is two guesses on other possibilities:

Option 2: "After you complete an action you may spend a Force charge to preform a purple action." (This makes purple actions, actions that can be linked off anything at the cost of a Force charge. This would be quite powerful, though still within reason since it's a move restricted version of Vader's ability)

Option 3: "During your activation phase, after you spend a Force charge you may preform a purple action." (This would be something else entirely. It creates an interesting limit on purple actions since you would need to find a different way to spend a Force charge to trigger the action so they would be hard to chain. On the other there wouldn't be an action or Force cost with this which would make them very powerful. For a purple Evade action that becomes better than Full Throttle for the Delta-7. And Battle Meditation could be crazy land).

Personally at this point I am setting my expectations at option 1, so I am not dissapointed. But both options 2 and 3 are interesting and very powerful in their own ways, it would certainly make the Delta-7 more expensive than some (including me) are expecting as well as making Battle Meditation quite expensive. But then you just end up with expensive and powerful Jedi which feels right, so it may not be that bad anyways.

Until FFG gives an official answer, the most likely source of additional clues will be when the Palpatine/Sidious card is spoiled since it also has the purple Coordinate.

Thoughts? Other ideas from the evidence we have so far?

The purple evade (and coordinate) are on the action bar, therefore are completed like any other action but with the cost of a force token. To be able to perform an action outside of the normal steps, a card must explicitly state this, and the timing in which it happens.  

Edited by BVRCH

• blue action - Does not Exist, no mechanics for it yet
  • white action- Cannot have stress tokens, uses Action Step, no additional requirements
  • red action- cannot have stress tokens, uses action step, take stress token.
  • purple action- cannot be stressed, uses action step, pay one force to perform action
  • white action linked to red action- either use first action and stop (treat as white) or perform the 1st action then immediately perform the 2nd action (take stress token)

So on to purple actions the question is which is a higher opportunity cost, a red action or a purple action.

Right now the only purple action I have seen is the evade action. there might be more so leave your comments below to continue this discussion. So the big debate is which is worse, a red evade or a purple evade. Granted evade is considered one of the weakest actions to take and is mostly done with a linked action. But given the choice between a red evade or a purple evade which action would you take. I think most would say they would rather take the stress penalty than to spend the force token and lose on further dice modification potential.

So here is a little theory crafting to see which has a higher opportunity cost. Lets take the focus action for this example; would you take a red focus or would you rather have a purple focus action (assume you have a focus token at the start regardless)?

25 minutes ago, Marinealver said:
  • blue action - Does not Exist, no mechanics for it yet
  • white action- Cannot have stress tokens, uses Action Step, no additional requirements
  • red action- cannot have stress tokens, uses action step, take stress token.
  • purple action- cannot be stressed, uses action step, pay one force to perform action
  • white action linked to red action- either use first action and stop (treat as white) or perform the 1st action then immediately perform the 2nd action (take stress token)

So on to purple actions the question is which is a higher opportunity cost, a red action or a purple action.

Right now the only purple action I have seen is the evade action. there might be more so leave your comments below to continue this discussion. So the big debate is which is worse, a red evade or a purple evade. Granted evade is considered one of the weakest actions to take and is mostly done with a linked action. But given the choice between a red evade or a purple evade which action would you take. I think most would say they would rather take the stress penalty than to spend the force token and lose on further dice modification potential.

So here is a little theory crafting to see which has a higher opportunity cost. Lets take the focus action for this example; would you take a red focus or would you rather have a purple focus action (assume you have a focus token at the start regardless)?

Palp/Sideous and Battle Meditation add a Purple coordinate. Palp was spoiled in the wave 3 announcement artcle. Battle Meditation is outlined in today's article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/11/for-the-republic/

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Palp/Sideous and Battle Meditation add a Purple coordinate. Palp was spoiled in the wave 3 announcement artcle. Battle Meditation is outlined in today's article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/11/for-the-republic/

Okay, well there you go, another action to consider. So which action would you rather take, a red coordinate or a purple coordinate? Which one do you think has the lower opportunity cost?

Edited by Marinealver

2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Okay, well there you go, another action to consider. So which action would you rather take, a red coordinate or a purple coordinate? Which one do you think has the lower opportunity cost?

If given the option on a ship with both or between two ships, one with the purp and one with the red, I'd rather take the stress and keep the mod...

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

We already have an official answer from the first preview - a purple action is spend 1 force charge and use your action to perform the action (ie not an additional action)

It doesn't say that. If it does can you please provide a quote? I would be happy to update my post and remove the options question.

Edited by GeneralVryth

9 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Depends on the ship. If the ship has lots of blue movement (and especially if I want to do one next movement anyways), then the red coordinate is better. If the ship has almost no blue and isn't going to be attacking/be attacked then obviously the purple coordinate is better.

Overall? Probably the red coordinate on the ships where we are seeing the option so far.

5 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

It doesn't say that. If it does can you please provide a quote? I would be happy to update my post and remove the options question.

I looked at it again, and it technically doesn’t say it must be the normal action. However, there’s no text anywhere to indicate it’s an extra action.

Already capable of a wide range of actions, the Delta-7’s Jedi pilots can spend a Force charge to perform a new purple evade action.”

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/4/protecting-peace/

6 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I looked at it again, and it technically doesn’t say it must be the normal action. However, there’s no text anywhere to indicate it’s an extra action.

Already capable of a wide range of actions, the Delta-7’s Jedi pilots can spend a Force charge to perform a new purple evade action.”

I agree there is no text saying that it's an extra action in that article. It combined with the rumor I mentioned above is why most people (myself included) think the outcome will be option 1.

However, the most recent article seems to suggest something else (or states the original idea very unclearly), which is why I started this thread and include other options that would be consistent with both articles.

I look forward to seeing what the final answer is, and am hopeful it isn't option 1 because I think it will be more interesting in the long run. But I fully admit the ideas I came up with consistent with the article are quite powerful.

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Simplest answer is that they're playing a used car sales man trying to pawn off a Yugo on someone. Hopeful answer is there is more to it that they aren't saying that makes it worth the additional cost... I'm in a cranky mood admittedly, but my money is on the former...

11 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Simplest answer is that they're playing a used car sales man trying to pawn off a Yugo on someone. Hopeful answer is there is more to it that they aren't saying that makes it worth the additional cost... I'm in a cranky mood admittedly, but my money is on the former...

I don’t have such hope. I am pretty sure it’s just a worse action that’s not likely to be used much. Maybe that coordinate for some lists 

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

I don’t have such hope. I am pretty sure it’s just a worse action that’s not likely to be used much. Maybe that coordinate for some lists 

The Force Talent, Battle Meditation, has value admittedly due to the semi Hux nature of it that is worth the loss of the mod. In my opinion straight up Purple action really doesn't, even a single target Purple Coordinate.

The rumour guy here. :P

I don't work for our distribution - I simply have asked about how purple actions work on our (public) Facebook group and got an answer from the head X-Wing spokesperson of our national distribution. (I've got the "#1" option from these in this thread). Can provide link or screenshot if you wish, it's all polish though. 

The guy's whole responsibility in the company is to attend to the X-Wing franchise and local community: he's an active player, he's coordination all major tournaments (SoS, Euros, Nationals etc.) 

Now, Rebel.pl has been bought out late last year by Asmodee, so this info is as good as internal imho. 

Also, it was polish I4 Mace Windu that was right in the end, so our intel is strong. (We've learned a thing or two against the Nazis and the Commies, well). 

20 minutes ago, ryfterek said:

The rumour guy here. :P

I don't work for our distribution - I simply have asked about how purple actions work on our (public) Facebook group and got an answer from the head X-Wing spokesperson of our national distribution. (I've got the "#1" option from these in this thread). Can provide link or screenshot if you wish, it's all polish though. 

The guy's whole responsibility in the company is to attend to the X-Wing franchise and local community: he's an active player, he's coordination all major tournaments (SoS, Euros, Nationals etc.) 

Now, Rebel.pl has been bought out late last year by Asmodee, so this info is as good as internal imho. 

Also, it was polish I4 Mace Windu that was right in the end, so our intel is strong. (We've learned a thing or two against the Nazis and the Commies, well). 

Your just a combined bearer of bad news aren't you? 😛

I believe you on both accounts. I just also hope you're wrong or they're wrong on both accounts.

Though even working as option 1 the Battle Meditation option is decent. The Evade not so much as has been discussed in many threads. It does open the door for actions to link to purple actions which could be really interesting and something I expect on the Actis if it really is option 1.

It's not really a rumour, though, but a response to speculation and wishlisting. FFG has never, ever, implied that the purple action is a free action. The forum only started speculating on this because it seemed like a bad choice, in the same way people kept insisting that the Upsilon had to have some kind of butt gun, or it'd be dead on arrival.

12 hours ago, Marinealver said:

That's always the big question: would you rather have mobility (a full white dial, and the option to have red moves) or tokens (technically, force charges aren't tokens).  Considering that Push The Limit was pretty common in 1e, I guess folks would generally rather have dice mods than access to white moves.

Kinda depends on the ship.

An ARC might rather spend the force.  An Aethersprite with R4 Astromech would much rather be performing red actions than purple actions, for example.  Which is why they got a purple evade than a red evade.

16 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

That's always the big question: would you rather have mobility (a full white dial, and the option to have red moves) or tokens (technically, force charges aren't tokens).  Considering that Push The Limit was pretty common in 1e, I guess folks would generally rather have dice mods than access to white moves.

Kinda depends on the ship.

An ARC might rather spend the force.  An Aethersprite with R4 Astromech would much rather be performing red actions than purple actions, for example.  Which is why they got a purple evade than a red evade.

I think things may have changed a little (for the better) since 1.0 though. Since so many generics can reposition and focus, or even double reposition, plus the fact that lists in general feature more ships nowadays, an ace that keeps doing the same couple of blue moves is often easily blocked. I personally enjoy flying generic StarVipers, v1s and Strikers, and the likes of Soontir Fel and Poe Dameron don't worry me in the slightest, as I can predict that 2-turn and get in the way every other turn. A ship with a completely open dial is a completely different matter, especially if said ship can hop right over me and turn around at no cost, like Nien, Ello and Defenders, or failing that at least turn their guns around (RZ-2, TIE/sf).

5 minutes ago, Okapi said:

I think things may have changed a little (for the better) since 1.0 though. Since so many generics can reposition and focus, or even double reposition, plus the fact that lists in general feature more ships nowadays, an ace that keeps doing the same couple of blue moves is often easily blocked. I personally enjoy flying generic StarVipers, v1s and Strikers, and the likes of Soontir Fel and Poe Dameron don't worry me in the slightest, as I can predict that 2-turn and get in the way every other turn. A ship with a completely open dial is a completely different matter, especially if said ship can hop right over me and turn around at no cost, like Nien, Ello and Defenders, or failing that at least turn their guns around (RZ-2, TIE/sf).

Fair enough.

I think whether the purple evade is worth more than a red evade likely depends on how many force tokens the pilot in question currently has, and what situation you're actually in.

If you're pointed the wrong direction and being attacked, then being able to defend well and then use any option on your dial is bigger than having the extra active force token.