Sign in to follow this  
Deuzerre

Faced a neat "combo"

So I myself just realised that I can basically get 6 aember flat per turn on a deck just with "inspiration" and "witch of the eye" without doing anything else jsut on a loop. Was pretty happy with myself (this deck has 3 inspirations and ways to get back cards from the discard). Managed to clear the whole board the whole match,  I had 11 amber in stock and 2 keys forged vs 5 aember and 0 keys forged. I had 9-10 creatures on the board, he had none.

Then my opponent went full holy combo.

He used battle fleet to draw about 6 cards. Got an other battle fleet, this time to get about 9 cards. Forged a key with Key abduction. Battle fleet again (shuffled the draw) and got it back, this time for about 11 cards.  Repeated the key abduction. Drew again... I quit at that point.

I'm not that mad about it, it was interesting to see, and he almost lost because he held mars in his hand for so long and got flattened on the board. But he knew his deck was basically almost unbeatable once that combo is launched. But ****, I've never seen such a comeback with three keys forged in a single turn, from 5 aember at the start of the turn. Pretty darn impressive.

Fwiw you can't do that with a single inspiration and a single wote anyway, as inspo doesn't reach your discard until after the witch reaps. Works with squawker though if you are lucky enough to get them in the same faction.

And yeah battle fleet is very strong if you build a hand around it. 

So the deck has 3 battle fleets and a key abduction? 

This doesn't feel like a reliable enough combo to me. To go from drawing 6 cards to drawing 9 cards you will need to have drawn 4 mars cards in your 6 card draw. You are much more likely to draw 6 cards twice in a row, as 7 mars cards have already been removed from your deck to make the initial 6 card draw. This is still really good with key abduction, as this still results in a free key and a lot of cards, but the chances you will be able to ride this combo to victory is actually rather small. So I think your opponent just got lucky. 

Assuming a hand of 7 mars cards:

28% of the time you will draw no mars cards in your first 6 card draw.

44% of the time you will only draw 1 mars card. (total of 72%)

22% of the time you will draw 2 mars cards (total of 94%)

Well it isn't reliable, but when it happens (like when you draw a good hand) it can get you far.

That's why I don't think it's as broken as some library access combos to get a full deck.

2 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

Well it isn't reliable, but when it happens (like when you draw a good hand) it can get you far.

That's why I don't think it's as broken as some library access combos to get a full deck.

Oh yeah, but that is why library access is limited to 1 per deck and battle fleet is not. If Nepenthe seed didn't make playing library access twice in a turn super reliable, there wouldn't even be that many amazing combos with that either. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, Revert said:

So the deck has 3 battle fleets and a key abduction? 

This doesn't feel like a reliable enough combo to me. To go from drawing 6 cards to drawing 9 cards you will need to have drawn 4 mars cards in your 6 card draw. You are much more likely to draw 6 cards twice in a row, as 7 mars cards have already been removed from your deck to make the initial 6 card draw. This is still really good with key abduction, as this still results in a free key and a lot of cards, but the chances you will be able to ride this combo to victory is actually rather small. So I think your opponent just got lucky. 

Assuming a hand of 7 mars cards:

28% of the time you will draw no mars cards in your first 6 card draw.

44% of the time you will only draw 1 mars card. (total of 72%)

22% of the time you will draw 2 mars cards (total of 94%)

Would be nice if you had Incubation Chamber or V. Thinkdrone. Build an archive full of mars goodies then pull it all to hand. I have one deck that kind of does it halfway but only has 1 battle fleet.

It's not really a "first turn win" as much as a "one turn win" - sounds really impressive, I'd love to see the decklist.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, Deuzerre said:

So I myself just realised that I can basically get 6 aember flat per turn on a deck just with "inspiration" and "witch of the eye" without doing anything else jsut on a loop. Was pretty happy with myself (this deck has 3 inspirations and ways to get back cards from the discard). Managed to clear the whole board the whole match,  I had 11 amber in stock and 2 keys forged vs 5 aember and 0 keys forged. I had 9-10 creatures on the board, he had none.

That is nice but they're in 2 different houses. Do you have a maverick WotE? Or did you sac a ritual of the hunt? By what manner were you able to do Sanctum & Untamed in the same turn?

If you have an insp in discard, you can call sanctum, play an insp to ready and use the witch, grabbing the other insp. Then do that again 5 more times. (I think the OP had initially assumed you could pull the inspiration you played to ready the witch, but it can be done if you have multiples).

2 hours ago, saluk64007 said:

If you have an insp in discard, you can call sanctum, play an insp to ready and use the witch, grabbing the other insp. Then do that again 5 more times. (I think the OP had initially assumed you could pull the inspiration you played to ready the witch, but it can be done if you have multiples).

Oh 'duh" inspiration is "ready & use" my mind blanked out, i was thinking of a different one. Totally my bad.