Innese

Republic Upgrades Article

I'm kinda itching to find the price points for these ships as I'm wanting to know if I'll need to buy a second pack of  V-19's or a third ARC.  I'd like to make sure I have plenty of options for this faction as I really enjoyed the Clone Wars and this looks set to really embrace them in the game.

5 minutes ago, infyrana said:

I'm kinda itching to find the price points for these ships as I'm wanting to know if I'll need to buy a second pack of  V-19's or a third ARC.  I'd like to make sure I have plenty of options for this faction as I really enjoyed the Clone Wars and this looks set to really embrace them in the game.

Don't forget your Rebel ARCs have the same dial. If you have an ARC already you might be able to field three with the new upgrades just on a squad pack and pair of new ones. I suspect we'll get two Dedicated and two Sync console in the squad pack plus one each in the new ARC. 

19 minutes ago, infyrana said:

@Frimmel is correct about using Rebel ARC dials, but still, if you’re interested: You’ll definitely be able to fly up to 4 ARCs in a list if you want to.

Ibtisam is the cheapest Rebel ARC at 50 points and she’s i3 with a pilot ability. I believe the Republic ARC is getting i2 and i3 generics, which should all realistically be under 50 points.

1 minute ago, Larky Bobble said:

That box is Huge!

Is there any need for the top half? I can` t see it myself... 

Perceived value packaging really makes me angry. It is just irresponsible.

I mean, you’re essentially paying full price for two ships and getting three, not to mention the squadron packs have a lot of cards.

Of course half of those cards at least will be more copies of all of the generic upgrades that the conversion kits had plenty of, but.

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

I mean, you’re essentially paying full price for two ships and getting three, not to mention the squadron packs have a lot of cards.

Of course half of those cards at least will be more copies of all of the generic upgrades that the conversion kits had plenty of, but.

I don´t care about price vs ships. I care about contents vs packaging. There is no way the content "fills" that box.

24 minutes ago, Larky Bobble said:

I don´t care about price vs ships. I care about contents vs packaging. There is no way the content "fills" that box.

you sure about that? I'm sure there will be a little bit of a void, but there needs to be room for a lot cardboard inserts, packs of cards, and extra room for the mini's blister pack. don't forget that it encompasses three ships, bases and dials for all of them, three new obstacles, tokens, and that's before the stack of upgrades.

Those conversion kits had almost no unused space. same for the expansions I've picked up so far.

48 minutes ago, Larky Bobble said:

Hippie Moosen makes a good point. Lots of dials and tokens and such.  

You also want standardization across the packaging. I suspect it is the same size box as the Falcons, and Decimator. This will then mean a standard box to put the boxes in. This standard box will likely allow re-use of boxes at the distributor. A case of droids and a case of clone can then be split to send to two shops or filled in with other expansions using no new boxes. Standard sized box means standard cardboard for the punch outs.

Some sized packages may hold up better on the store shelves. 

There is more to consider than just the one box and how much space isn't used. 

@Frimmel & @SpiderMana Thanks for your replies.  I hit the button and stuck a third ARC on pre-order from my trade-ins (thankfully I had enough!), 1 old and 2 new, there's no chance of getting the Torrent pack now though as they're now out of pre-order stock for me.  I wanted to run 3 ARCs in 1.0 but just never got to play enough to spend out.  Good point about the cheapest points value, it's likely that a few in-faction upgrades will make for a list and I can at least play the other half of the Republic collection against them to test out and learn the new faction as a whole.

1 hour ago, Larky Bobble said:

It may be more cost-effective for them to print less long sheets of cardboard than more smaller sheets. I bet there is some cost-saving mechanism to the packing looking this way.

The core set is really the only box-sized expansion in XWTMG where the contents really fill out the package. Large ships don't really fill in their boxes space, either (maybe a couple of them).

And I'm sure there is some marketing nonsense that says it makes sense to have larger packaging, for visibility on store shelves.

5 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

And I'm sure there is some marketing nonsense that says it makes sense to have larger packaging, for visibility on store shelves

That’s the kind of thing he’s upset about. But as I and others have tried to get across: that box is likely going to be pretty full.

1 hour ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

And I'm sure there is some marketing nonsense that says it makes sense to have larger packaging, for visibility on store shelves.

I remember buying computer games in the 90s, after developers started putting all the documentation on the CD, so the box was completely empty except for a single CD case.  Apparently,  part of the reason was because it's much more difficult to pocket a huge box than a small CD.

Spare parts breaking locks, hmmm. Lot of ships interested in those, I'd guess. Also surprise, cause you likely not expect a Kimogila to suddenly drop a token. Even one more token to drop on the reload-less Havoc. Sol Sixxa's ability those can probably not be used, as spare parts most likely not count as device.

Glad, that we don't have point costs. People cannot play the unreleased stuff to death on Vassal, and already solve the meta before the physical ships are out, and then cry for more, newer stuff, cannot wait for the next wave. That was a pretty unhealthy rush syndrome in 1.0.

Suspense and expectation are fun (after all, why do we have wrapping paper on presents?). The points will come early enough.

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, true.

But is Synchronized Console likely to be too different from a Targeting Synchronizer?

Is a Torrent likely to be much more than a Z-95?  It'll surely be cheaper than a TIE Bomber, with a worse dial, lower HP, almost surely fewer slots, and no ship ability.  If a Torrent is a little more expensive than a Z-95, Oddball being like 10ish points more than a generic seems fitting.

Is an N-1 likely to be a lot more expensive than an A-Wing?  They actually are really similar in terms of offensive and defensive capabilities, and have about the same number of moves to dial in, if they want to be using their ship abilities.

Don't get me wrong.  I want the points and slots.  But I think the basic squad is kind of plausible.

The Torrent might be points wise between a Z95 and the Tugboat. Worse dial than a Z95, same attack/defense, 1hull more, but a crit magnet like the Quadrijet. So, like 24 -25 for the lowest Ini, we do not know slots yet.

N1 is hopefully more expensive than A wings, at least the N1 pilots with Talent slots. As the space banana is going to be already the third ship with free evades for Juke 😡

2 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Glad, that we don't have point costs. People cannot play the unreleased stuff to death on Vassal, and already solve the meta before the physical ships are out, and then cry for more, newer stuff, cannot wait for the next wave. That was a pretty unhealthy rush syndrome in 1.0.

Too late, they have already revealed what's in wave 4, and I need it.

1 hour ago, Managarmr said:

The Torrent might be points wise between a Z95 and the Tugboat. Worse dial than a Z95, same attack/defense, 1hull more, but a crit magnet like the Quadrijet. So, like 24 -25 for the lowest Ini, we do not know slots yet.

I'd say between a Z-95 and a TIE Bomber, rather than Tugboat (Tractor Array warps things too much for an honest comparison to the Quad).

Init 1 Z-95 is 23, Init 2 Bomber is 30.  Based on the TIE Fighter, an Init 2/no talent on one of these cheap fillers is worth only 1 more point than an Init 1.

So we'd be decently bound between 24 and 30.  Actions are good on the Torrent, but the dial is bad.  To me, that puts it more likely down to the lower end of the scale.  I keep thinking 25.

As to slots, I'm kind of assuming just missile/mod.  There's no indication of any other kind of slot, but whether it has 1 or 2 missiles would make a difference.  If it has two missiles, I can't really see it less than 26, maybe even 27, if it has two missiles, because Barrage Rockets are so potent.  As such, I really hope it only has 1 missile slot.

1 hour ago, Managarmr said:

N1 is hopefully more expensive than A wings, at least the N1 pilots with Talent slots. As the space banana is going to be already the third ship with free evades for Juke 😡

For a non-talent generic (I'm guessing the generic is non-talent, to avoid Jukes), the more I think about it, 32 seems kinda right.  Just fits along side what A-Wings get, in terms of damage, toughness, and mobility.

As to Jukes... it can be annoying, but only being 2 red dice is going to be huge, I think.  Like, suppose there was a talent generic, and it was 35 points.  5x N-1 with Juke... I don't even think that'd be that good.  Initiative is low, so there's very little chance of having double-duty.  Damage is close to the damage of 3-red ships, but worse.  It's not that much worse against 3-dice ships, but the relative damage gets worse as the agility of the defender goes down.  Juke N-1s are just going to bounce off something like a Lambda or YV-666.

As to N-1 Aces... well, pilot abilities will matter greatly.  Also, the Torpedo factor starts to be a thing.  Aces are a lot harder to guess at.

2 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Suspense and expectation are fun (after all, why do we have wrapping paper on presents?). The points will come early enough.

That's one of those issues where folks are just going to have to agree to disagree.  I never touch Vassal, all I've got is what I've got.

The thing which makes me wicked nervous about Wave 3 is Vulture Droids with Energy Shell Charges.  I'd love to have some sense of how that's all going to work out, because dirt-cheap 3-dice ships scare me greatly.  I like unwrapping presents, but I'm not touching horror films.  There's good suspense, and bad suspense.

4 hours ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

I infer that getting my hands on gas cloud templates will cause me some strain since I don’t look to play the prequel factions

I plan to get 2 of each squadron pack, so I'm going to make a note of your name. If you're in the continental United States, pay for postage and you can have a full set. ^_^

12 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I plan to get 2 of each squadron pack, so I'm going to make a note of your name. If you're in the continental United States, pay for postage and you can have a full set. ^_^

I've offered this as well (though I don't recall to whom specifically.) Feel free to get in touch if you really need these tokens without buying into the Prequels. 👍