Innese

Republic Upgrades Article

So the Dedicated example is the deliberate error this time round, right? If I'm reading it correctly the Torrent in the article can't use dedicated because the Delta-7 isn't in it's front or rear firing arcs.

8 minutes ago, Jike said:

So the Dedicated example is the deliberate error this time round, right? If I'm reading it correctly the Torrent in the article can't use dedicated because the Delta-7 isn't in it's front or rear firing arcs.

You're a Dedicated Wingman after all. 

15 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, sure.  But if the intent is to use SynCon to throw out a bunch of Torpedoes from a single initial lock, it seems like it'd be easy for the chain to break down.  First dude rolls 3 blanks and an eye, and then either that attack whiffs, or no one else planning on firing a torpedo gets a lock.

I think that is kind of the point though. That would be crazy action economy if the entire squad could chain one lock through multiple turns. That the chain breaks down suggests it is not broken. But since this sort of action economy isn't as available in 2nd Ed. it is still worth taking. 

And the chain could still go on if the dice are kind. It also creates a strategic decision to maybe not use a lock. You can then pass the lock to some other pilot who needs to re-position and lock next turn. The clones are going to have some crazy action economy. Look at these guys again:

swz32_kickback.pngswz32_odd-ball.png

Odd Ball gets all up in there with a red move or barrel rolls into an evade and takes a lock or red boosts from his brother Swoop for a lock: swz32_swoop.png

Swoop has some longer range missiles requiring a lock but there was nothing in range for a lock. Swoop took a focus. Then Odd Ball moving late gets up in there with one of the red actions and gets his lock. He fires first and even with a whiff on just two or maybe two with a range bonus passes his lock to one of his brothers. Maybe Axe or Tucker instead of Swoop who are holding a focus since they weren't in range for a lock and now they're shooting missiles with full mods. 

swz32_axe.pngswz32_tucker.png

Don't forget this guy:

Card_Upgrade_54.png

And we've only gotten one ARC preview but I think it fits in with the theme we've got going with holding the lock for your brothers:

swz33_sinker.png

Synchronized Console is a killer upgrade and the entire squad doesn't need to equip it for the entire squad to share the goodness if you fly right. 

swz32_synchronized-console.png

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Ughhhh. Does this make me want to spend another $32 for another Guardians??? Or another $32 for sep pack? (On preorder discount)

Do we know how many copies there are in the pack?  I fancy having a few on ARCs, but I don't really need much more than two Torrents.

1 minute ago, mazz0 said:

Do we know how many copies there are in the pack?  I fancy having a few on ARCs, but I don't really need much more than two Torrents.

The ARC has both Dedicated out on the right and Synchronized Console shown on the left. 

swz33_spread.png

15 hours ago, rhetor said:

Why are the R4 astromechs limited to the Republic only? 

Because other factions have Medium and Large-based ships that become potentially problematic if they can reduce difficulty of basic maneuvers (Kimogila and JumpMaster 5000 in particular would love to reduce difficulty of their turns). Having the Republic restriction allows them to keep R4-P priced reasonably.

20 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I think that is kind of the point though. That would be crazy action economy if the entire squad could chain one lock through multiple turns. That the chain breaks down suggests it is not broken. But since this sort of action economy isn't as available in 2nd Ed. it is still worth taking. 

And the chain could still go on if the dice are kind. It also creates a strategic decision to maybe not use a lock. You can then pass the lock to some other pilot who needs to re-position and lock next turn. The clones are going to have some crazy action economy.

I guess all I meant was that if someone was specifically intending to chain one lock, it's probably harder to do with Proton Torpedoes (ARC) than Homing Missiles on a Torrent.  That's all.

16 hours ago, rhetor said:

Why are the R4 astromechs limited to the Republic only? 

I believe the answer is game balance.  The Republic ships really don't have good speed 3 dials.  Being able to take a few non-red speed 3 moves will seriously assist the Republic ships, but the same ability on current ships probably breaks them enough that they wont do it.

Has anyone seriously looked at these dials? Republic ships have crap speed 3.

17 hours ago, Frimmel said:

You're going to give the faster limited ARC with an ability the console and R3 astromech to have locks for your V-19 dedicated wingmen. 

I think Frimmel is onto something with the R3 and Synchronized Consoles.  The idea of passing one TL for ordnance is good vs. an elite target, but I think we will see a lot of Droid ships out there and they wont be too hard to shoot down.  I can see multiple TL's on different targets and different ordnance fired in a round.

Imagine Cluster Missiles on some V-19's with Synchronized Consoles and R4's.  You could really wreck some Vulture Droids in one round.

6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I guess all I meant was that if someone was specifically intending to chain one lock, it's probably harder to do with Proton Torpedoes (ARC) than Homing Missiles on a Torrent.  That's all.

Sure. You're probably not going to need lots of re-rolls with homing missiles. But even that is still pretty good isn't it? Shoot your homing missiles from your sync console Torrents. Who then pass the lock they won't use to another torrent to shoot his homing missiles who passes it on to an ARC to shoot his torpedoes. Strip the shields and setup a torpedo shot with full mods from some of the abilities. 

10 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I think Frimmel is onto something with the R3 and Synchronized Consoles.  The idea of passing one TL for ordnance is good vs. an elite target, but I think we will see a lot of Droid ships out there and they wont be too hard to shoot down.  I can see multiple TL's on different targets and different ordnance fired in a round.

Passing locks around was something I used a bunch with Dutch, Shara, and Norra in 1st Ed when R3 was called weapons engineer. I am excited for the comeback with The Republic. 

25 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Sure. You're probably not going to need lots of re-rolls with homing missiles. But even that is still pretty good isn't it? Shoot your homing missiles from your sync console Torrents. Who then pass the lock they won't use to another torrent to shoot his homing missiles who passes it on to an ARC to shoot his torpedoes. Strip the shields and setup a torpedo shot with full mods from some of the abilities. 

The mixed squad kinda makes sense.

Also worth considering: the N-1 will almost surely be cheaper than an ARC... Oddball + 3 cheap torrents (all Homing/SynCon) + N-1 with Proton Torpedoes might fit into 200 points.  If SynCon is 4 points (1 cheaper than Targeting Synchronizer, since it requires an action to be spent), even at 26 points for a generic Torrent, 36 for Oddball, and 38 for a generic N-1, that'd come out to 200 points.  4 auto damage + a double-mod Proton Torpedo seems OK.

N-1 seems like the kind of ship which might not have a Mod slot, so it'd be more limited in range and positioning than the others, but it still kinda seems like a reasonable final link in the chain.

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

We have zero idea on costs for anything.  I'm actually pretty curious.

Yeah, spoiler articles are still fun, but much harder to see what will work or not without costs being visible. Everything we think will work can be destroyed by one or two cards being costed too high when they finally release points.

1 minute ago, theBitterFig said:

The mixed squad kinda makes sense.

Also worth considering: the N-1 will almost surely be cheaper than an ARC... Oddball + 3 cheap torrents (all Homing/SynCon) + N-1 with Proton Torpedoes might fit into 200 points.  If SynCon is 4 points (1 cheaper than Targeting Synchronizer, since it requires an action to be spent), even at 26 points for a generic Torrent, 36 for Oddball, and 38 for a generic N-1, that'd come out to 200 points.  4 auto damage + a double-mod Proton Torpedo seems OK.

N-1 seems like the kind of ship which might not have a Mod slot, so it'd be more limited in range and positioning than the others, but it still kinda seems like a reasonable final link in the chain.

Totally with you on the mixed squad. Republic really seems like the combined arms force. There will be interesting choices in list building and then you'll have interesting choices in how to fly the list. Really eager for the points and more of what the ARC pilots bring to the mix. 

10 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

We have zero idea on costs for anything.  I'm actually pretty curious.

I mean, true.

But is Synchronized Console likely to be too different from a Targeting Synchronizer?

Is a Torrent likely to be much more than a Z-95?  It'll surely be cheaper than a TIE Bomber, with a worse dial, lower HP, almost surely fewer slots, and no ship ability.  If a Torrent is a little more expensive than a Z-95, Oddball being like 10ish points more than a generic seems fitting.

Is an N-1 likely to be a lot more expensive than an A-Wing?  They actually are really similar in terms of offensive and defensive capabilities, and have about the same number of moves to dial in, if they want to be using their ship abilities.

Don't get me wrong.  I want the points and slots.  But I think the basic squad is kind of plausible.

9 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Totally with you on the mixed squad. Republic really seems like the combined arms force. There will be interesting choices in list building and then you'll have interesting choices in how to fly the list. Really eager for the points and more of what the ARC pilots bring to the mix. 

Also looking forward to ARC pilots, pretty sure the init 5 guy is Oddball again, with the same pilot ability.

But I'm also really interested to see what my man Vade- I mean "Anakin" will do. I mean, for a Jedi, robot limbs is a downgrade, right? Less cells means less midichlorians to use, right? So Anakin with 3 normal limbs should be even better than Vader...

6 minutes ago, imprezagoatee said:

Also looking forward to ARC pilots, pretty sure the init 5 guy is Oddball again, with the same pilot ability.

That would be disappointing. Not horrible likely but I like the idea of a Delta, V-19, and ARC all at I5.