Sign in to follow this  
ArmadaMatt

Terrain for Armada?

43 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Here are some asteroid fields that I just finished.  I already like using the space station that I got from Shapeways (Thanks @LinoB!) in my demos and these will add to that.  I'll posts the debris fields once I finish them.

0xaNezs.jpg

eo34aBa.jpg

These are amazing! How did you make them?

39 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Thanks! I ordered them from Combatzone Scenery. Just had to prime and paint them, which was surprisingly easy.

https://combatzone-scenery.co.uk/epages/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/e25b18fb-c32b-422a-8493-a8baeb0f1a17/Products/AR002

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm in the US, so shipping almost doubles the price of these.

I think part of the reason the Legion terrain stuff works for FFG is that it has objective cards as part of it, so it's not just terrain, it's part of army building, and thus much more enticing to players.

I could maybe see Armada having an objective set of models that adds new objective cards that go with them.

Edited by homedrone

9 minutes ago, homedrone said:

I think part of the reason the Legion terrain stuff works for FFG is that it has objective cards as part of it, so it's not just terrain, it's part of army building, and thus much more enticing to players.

I could maybe see Armada having an objective set of models that adds new objective cards that go with them.

Agreed. That being said, I'm looking into getting some lava rocks and molding and casting them and attaching them to a laser cut base with magnets for easy removability. Dust clouds are probably going to be made from some cotton balls and debris fields from some styrene cut-ups, sprues and parts of an AF2 I don't want.

46 minutes ago, homedrone said:

That is kinda what Half of the Corellian Conflict box was.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, ArmadaMatt said:

Seeing the new Downed AT-ST for Legion got me thinking, what if FFG produced terrain pieces for Armada? Some potential pieces:

• "Premium" models of the standard obstacles (asteroids, station, etc)
  • Thematic scenarios (like the Scarif gate so many have already discussed)
  • Armada equivalent to a downed AT-ST: stranded or destroyed capital ship with valuable cargo that must be captured
  • Skyhooks, shipyards, or other types of artificial satellites
  • Mines or space turrets

Personally I'd love to see a product like this, as it could add a little extra variety to the game and increase the visual interest on the board.

I know there are already existing options from Mel's Miniatures for some of this stuff, but I would like to see these things come with actual rules, objectives, and scenarios. Plus I'd rather not have more stuff to paint; I can barely paint my squadrons!

Thoughts?

I even went so far in a different topic to suggest adding interesting maps to play on that would recreate cool features to have to navigate such as the deep canyons of Kyle II, or the Taloraan armed tibaana gas platforms and "Cloud City". (Why Taloraan over Bespin, because Taloraan actually had defenses set up outside of Cloud cars and tie fighters and was featured in a large scale battle)

Edit:

To get a example of what I mean by these areas, just youtube "Rogue Squadron" missions till you find the Kile II spaceport mission and battle of taloraan.

Edited by Zeoinx

5 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

To get a example of what I mean by these areas, just youtube "Rogue Squadron" missions till you find the Kyle II spaceport mission and battle of taloraan.

For the record, it's Kile II. In case anyone is searching and having trouble.

Edited by thestag
Bold?

I'd love to have orbital structures for use in mission scenarios and as objectives.

Things like Golan platforms, the orbital hangars, maybe a small shipyard facility and civilian cargo freighters.

These could come with scenario ideas as well as mission objectives.

Just the terrain that exists currently in the game as 3d terrain would be an instant buy. Space stations (maybe an armored and up armored variant, but I settle for the one from the starter box), debris, asteroid fields, and those clouds from the campaign box. I am surprised that neither X-Wing not Armada have gotten terrain models. It seems FFG would sell a lot of these, as almost every player, regardless of faction, wants a set.

6 minutes ago, RobertDD said:

Just the terrain that exists currently in the game as 3d terrain would be an instant buy. Space stations (maybe an armored and up armored variant, but I settle for the one from the starter box), debris, asteroid fields, and those clouds from the campaign box. I am surprised that neither X-Wing not Armada have gotten terrain models. It seems FFG would sell a lot of these, as almost every player, regardless of faction, wants a set.

As stated...  You Want a Set until you get a Set, and then play with a set, and realise how impractical, fiddly and annoying it is...

Great for Photoshoots, not great for actual games.

48 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

As stated...  You Want a Set until you get a Set, and then play with a set, and realise how impractical, fiddly and annoying it is...

Great for Photoshoots, not great for actual games.

You can state it all you want, but you'd be wrong about that.

I said "almost every player", as there are always a few players that like flat cardboard better. Those are often the same players that would prefer to play with just the bases with stats written on them, as "the minis just get in the way and you don't really need them". Then there's the rest of us that just love the immersion of a fully painted 3D table with 3D terrain and gorgeous little Star Wars toys. I fall in that second group, and I have a suspicion most of us do. There's a reason this topic has come up a few times on here.

4 minutes ago, RobertDD said:

I said "almost every player", as there are always a few players that like flat cardboard better. Those are often the same players that would prefer to play with just the bases with stats written on them, as "the minis just get in the way and you don't really need them". Then there's the rest of us that just love the immersion of a fully painted 3D table with 3D terrain and gorgeous little Star Wars toys. I fall in that second group, and I have a suspicion most of us do. There's a reason this topic has come up a few times on here.

I'm a proud member of the last group, too...  With my fully painted and individualyl named fleet, and my custom admiral...

...  and yet.

I agree. Having all obstacles in 3D would be very annoying to play with. But what about just one 3D obstacle. I would love it if FFG released a Golan objective expansion. It would come with one 3D Golan defense platform, some ship cards for the platform and 3 objectives that all specifically use the Golan platform.

Then repeat the process for multiple structures like a shipyard or some orbital refinery or the Scarif shield gate. All with their own objectives. That way you can make sure that there will never be more than one 3D obstacle in play.

I think having the equivalent of one additional medium base ship on the table would not cause any trouble.

Edited by LordCola

On 2/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, RobertDD said:

nope. love my painted ships. reaaally dislike 3d obstacles. as do many I know.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, ArmadaMatt said:

Seeing the new Downed AT-ST for Legion got me thinking, what if FFG produced terrain pieces for Armada? Some potential pieces:

• "Premium" models of the standard obstacles (asteroids, station, etc)
  • Thematic scenarios (like the Scarif gate so many have already discussed)
  • Armada equivalent to a downed AT-ST: stranded or destroyed capital ship with valuable cargo that must be captured
  • Skyhooks, shipyards, or other types of artificial satellites
  • Mines or space turrets

Personally I'd love to see a product like this, as it could add a little extra variety to the game and increase the visual interest on the board.

I know there are already existing options from Mel's Miniatures for some of this stuff, but I would like to see these things come with actual rules, objectives, and scenarios. Plus I'd rather not have more stuff to paint; I can barely paint my squadrons!

Thoughts?

I’d be open to the idea, I’m planning on getting a Scarif Gate at some point, and the Space Slugs/Space whales that Mel Miniatures do are really cool.

There is potential.  But maybe not profitability potential sadly.

On February 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM, RobertDD said:

No. Dude, I won't even play on Vassal, because I can't use my individually painted and personalized fleet models.... But I'm telling you, as an actual owner of 3D terrain ( I even fabricated the nebulas from CC out of painted cotton and balsa wood) that actual 3D terrain is hugely impractical. Over half the time, the terrain will be sitting on the side, because of ship overlaps. It's a constant take it off, put it back on thing. I now reserve it for demonstration games at the shop.

I also owned a set of 3D asteroids for Xwing, back when I played that, and ran into the same issue. Looks awesome, sounds enticing....but it's actually incredibly annoying to deal with during game play.