Pooleman

AT-ST Down. FFG gives us another awesome preview.

Anyone think we'll also get a rules update for how to build a battle deck soon?  I mean just now, I guess most players turn up with 12 or 15 cards, but there's nothing to say what you should do.

I guess we'll need something to clarify if any of these cards are legal for tournament play too.

Love the scenario idea and I dont see how this could not be used for casual play, to me it screams casual play.

I think this will be the first legion expansion that I skip on release. I think its a tad bit expensive for what it is, unless I find it for ~$40 then I'll cave.

1 hour ago, BenBot said:

I wonder if the 3 unspoiled cards are for Standard...

Nope, I’m fairly certain they are the act 2 cards.

I really, really like what they are doing here. Especially as a more casual player of the game. The price is steep, but in fairness a big terrain piece from Imp Terrain will set you that much back as well.

I won’t rush out and buy it on release, but I’ll have it in my backlog of content. It looks fun. I just have lots of Terrain I’ve already made up for my home board.

It looks fun.  I am a more casual player and greatly enjoy the Operations which FFG puts out via their OP program.  This just seems like a neat retail product along those lines.

What I do not like is the price. :wacko:  I've never paid $50 for a single piece of terrain *prepainted*, never mind the fact that I'll not use it in EVERY game I play.

Will I pick it up in a moment of weakness?  Maybe. :D  Otherwise, as others have stated, I'll keep my eye out for it to hit the sale bin during the holidays.

2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Nope, I’m fairly certain they are the act 2 cards.

I’m pretty sure you are correct. Given what they are showing, it looks like they are set as a mini-campaign. Also, notice the AT-ST head on the Battle Cards. I’m sure that’s meant to identify the cards as part of that specific scenario. 

Now, I’m sure in casual play you can introduce elements from this cards, but I wouldn’t think they are going to be tourney legal.

20 minutes ago, Jedirev said:

Anyone think we'll also get a rules update for how to build a battle deck soon?  I mean just now, I guess most players turn up with 12 or 15 cards, but there's nothing to say what you should do.

I guess we'll need something to clarify if any of these cards are legal for tournament play too.

Tournament Regulations Pg. 4 under Player Materials:

In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition battle cards, four of each type.

5 minutes ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

I'm in the camp that the cards we've seen can simply flip to show act 2, and the unspoiled cards are for standard play.

We'll see how it shakes out!

This is my hope as well. 

22 minutes ago, Jedirev said:

Tournament regulations page 4.

This narrative and terrain look like it will not only be a lot of fun to play but to paint too! I can see this opening the door to more non-competitive miniatures like narratives with Jawas and Tusken Raiders, an AT-AT to use and play against, or even a Rancor that attacks both players' units...

But I think this a great option to add to the game and clearly isn't necessary for every Legion player.

If you prefer organized /competitive play, obviously this might not be for you.

If you build your own downed AT-ST / other vehicle terrain, the cards for Act 1 and 2 will eventually be spoiled online somewhere so I can see those players skipping out as well.

I think this expansion is primarily targeted to those who aren't as hobby-inclined and is a one-time-buy for a nice piece of terrain to add the table and an easily accessible narrative mission/ mini campaign. The Operations can be fun but to the average player, grabbing this off the shelf might be easier. Considering the size of the AT-ST and the overall terrain with battle cards, I don't think $50 is too terrible a price when compared to other companies' terrain kits.

I'm hoping the other set of battle cards are just the Act 2 cards and not standard cards for normal play, $50 becomes a bit steep for those only after the standard cards.

Yeah, for $50 this is a very easy pass.  I don't think it'll have a ton of repeat play since the usage seems so limited (seems like it'll just get boring after a few games).

I can't wait to pick up their next expansion -- the crashed X-34 Landspeeder!  LOL

I feel the same as most of the rest of you.  I love the idea of some scenario/narrative play.  $50 MSRP seems out of touch, though.  Maybe if it was pre-painted, or had a pair of wounded AT-ST driver objective markers or something.

I see that and think $30-$35 MSRP feels about right.  For $50, I'd be as likely to make up my own wreck marker and my own eerily similar narrative campaign.

Solid, solid effort from the game designers.  Swing and a miss on the commercial side. 

That's OK, it's always easier to lower your prices than raise them later.  I'd hate to see them discouraged from similar products in the future, though.

8 minutes ago, BojambaMcMamba said:

I feel the same as most of the rest of you.  I love the idea of some scenario/narrative play.  $50 MSRP seems out of touch, though.  Maybe if it was pre-painted, or had a pair of wounded AT-ST driver objective markers or something.

I see that and think $30-$35 MSRP feels about right.  For $50, I'd be as likely to make up my own wreck marker and my own eerily similar narrative campaign.

Solid, solid effort from the game designers.  Swing and a miss on the commercial side. 

That's OK, it's always easier to lower your prices than raise them later.  I'd hate to see them discouraged from similar products in the future, though.

Ok, thanks to your post, I now know what was bothering me about the expansion.

They should have included a base and 3d mini for the computer core/black box to represent the Objective token that gets spit out for the troop to lug around the battle field.

4 hours ago, Pooleman said:

Where are you located?

US. I can't remember if it was Cyber Monday or what and I almost took the plunge. ATST was $24.99 and the Snowspeeder was $17.99 or something cheap.  It only lasted for one day.  But they were around $30 for about 10days or so.  I was going to get another just to paint and try a different magnet setup but decided against it because I play more Rebels (main opponents are Imperial) and I didn't know when they were coming out with their vehicle fixes. 

I know it will slow down eventually, but I'm in for at least 1 of each (Jyn, Pathfinders, Death Troopers, Krennic, Occupier Tank, Landspeeder ) and maybe an extra landspeeder if they are fun to play and the weapon choices are to my liking.  This looks great, but I've got too much money dedicated to too many other things (I'm still trying to wean myself from the other games I have laying around my house and no jump into 2-3 new factions of X-wing)