chr335

Clone wars factions speculations

I really hope the B1 battle droids will/can be a unit of 10.

Something like,

White Defense and Offense, White melee too. No surges.

Courage -(more on that later)

Maybe 65 points for a unit of 8 with the option to add 1 basic droid and a heavy weapon of some kind(or just two more basic droids).

Give them a cheap(maybe free) upgrade that changes their courage stat to 1. This would give you the opportunity to gain cover from suppression, but your droids would now potentially run away. Call it "Self-preservation protocols" or something.

Droid: This unit suffers from the Ion keyword as if it was a vehicle.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

Panic is one of the effects of suppression tokens, so it would mean they would do absolutely nothing. You might want to rewrite that rule, lol.

actually panic is its own token that has its own rules associated with it.  It depends on suppression tokens, but it is not an effect of the suppression token itself.

I think on release, if it's mirrors the original release, the starter units will look something like this:

Core Box

Galactic Republic:

Commander: Obi Wan Kenobi

Corps: Clone Troopers (phase 1). Two units of 7 minis. 

Support: ISP Speeder. One unit with 1 mini. 

CIS:

Commander: General Grievous

Corps: B1 Battle Droid. Two units of 8 minis. 

Support: STAP Speeders. One unit with 2 minis. 

Wave 1

Heavy:

Republic: TX-130 Saber class tank

CIS: OG-9 Homing Spider Droid

1 hour ago, AldousSnow said:

Wave 1

Heavy:

I don't particularly care for either of those. Would definitely be far more interested in playing/modelling/painting:

CIS: AAT Battle Tank

Clones: Republic Attack Gunship

51 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

I don't particularly care for either of those. Would definitely be far more interested in playing/modelling/painting:

The AAT might be too big, I haven't looked into it. However, the Attack Gunship is WAY too large for a Huge base. It is roughly AT-AT size.

The AAT might be too big, I haven't looked into it. However, the Attack Gunship is WAY too large for a Huge base. It is roughly AT-AT size.

With the size of the new tank coming out, I don't think either of those options would be an issue. They are both aesthetically really cool designs. I think they'd sell way more as the 1st wave heavy slots.

2 hours ago, lologrelol said:

While I agree those are both way more iconic, they are a bit big. The AAT is possible, but if introduced, it would dwarf every existing Heavy unit. It's as long as an ATST is tall, and a third longer than the Occupier Tank. Not to mention more than half the height of an ATST. 

And the Gunship is indeed massive. Lay an ATST on its side. The Gunship is as long as 3 of them and taller than one. 

26 minutes ago, AldousSnow said:

While I agree those are both way more iconic, they are a bit big. The AAT is possible, but if introduced, it would dwarf every existing Heavy unit. It's as long as an ATST is tall, and a third longer than the Occupier Tank. Not to mention more than half the height of an ATST. 

And the Gunship is indeed massive. Lay an ATST on its side. The Gunship is as long as 3 of them and taller than one. 

I'm not really sure they are THAT big. Unless its a condition of their licensing agreement, I'd have no problem with ffg slightly adjusting them to fit comfortably in the range.

22 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

What if the republic got a Jedi starfighter for their heavy? They are pretty small little ships and would look good in scale. 

I don't like the thought of starfighters in this scale of game given that the airspeeders' incredibly slow in-game speed already strains the bounds of credulity. Maybe they could figure out some way to do it, but I really think stuff like that is much better represented by Leia And Veer's 1-pips.

I've been thinking about it lately but what if Phase 1 Clones were a mix of Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers, give them a black attack die with no surge and a red defense die with no surge, and maybe Tactical 1 as their ability. It would promote them always moving up, which would reflect them being better trained than Stormies. 

30 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I've been thinking about it lately but what if Phase 1 Clones were a mix of Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers, give them a black attack die with no surge and a red defense die with no surge, and maybe Tactical 1 as their ability. It would promote them always moving up, which would reflect them being better trained than Stormies. 

48 points? Probably more like 52 or 56. That's some expensive Corps.

Those don't even look close to scale. Did you actually check the sizes of the vehicles, or are you just going off of feelings?

No I was just showing that aesthetically the vehicles can be made to roughly fit. Ignore the comparatively large troopers.

The AT-ST should be bigger. But I think it could work.

Edited by lologrelol

9 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

I think on release, if it's mirrors the original release, the starter units will look something like this:

Core Box

Galactic Republic:

Commander: Obi Wan Kenobi

Corps: Clone Troopers (phase 1). Two units of 7 minis. 

Support: ISP Speeder. One unit with 1 mini. 

CIS:

Commander: General Grievous

Corps: B1 Battle Droid. Two units of 8 minis. 

Support: STAP Speeders. One unit with 2 minis. 

Wave 1

Heavy:

I somehow doubt we will get another core box.  

However, I CAN see army starter packs for the new factions.

The reason I think a new starter is unlikely is it behooves FFG to only include the basic units.   They WANT to still sell the original starter.   

Selling an new army upgrade starter that includes, basically half the contents of the starter benefits those of us who already have the game and want a new faction, as well as FFG, because the things these new army starters will NOT include are the templates, rulers, or barricades thing that FFG will want to sell as extras that a new player wanting to field the CIS only will need, but the existing players already have multiples of.

The value of the starter set is very good, intentionally.  It was a new game line and they wanted to get lots of people to buy it.   FFG likely didn't make a huge profit on it, but, took this lesser/loss as a way if hooking players.   They don't need to replicate it, as they have their player base.    

New players would yes, have to buy the dice/template/ruler packs, yes, but they also wouldn't have to buy into a faction they won't necessarily play.   Returning/current players can more easily buy into a new faction and already have the necessities from the core, making it cheaper.  As FFG knows that there are many players that do buy everything, this tactic makes sense all around.

Yes, you can argue that you can sell what you don't want from a core set, but think about that..  what does FFG get from the secondary market?   Answer: Bantha Poodoo.  FFG is a business, and thus, want to make money.

8 hours ago, lologrelol said:

I'm not really sure they are THAT big. Unless its a condition of their licensing agreement, I'd have no problem with ffg slightly adjusting them to fit comfortably in the range.

FFG so far as stuck entirely to scale, unlike the sliding scale necessitated by Armada. So it could be part of the licence, it could also just be part of their design choices. 

3 hours ago, chr335 said:

The aat is only 9.5 meters long per canon sources which is roughly the same size as the occupier tank (maybe a little bit longer) so it isn't impossible 

The Occupier tank is 7.5 m in canon and fills the oval. The difference of 2 meters is roughly 2 inches in 1:46 scale (which is what has been calculated for Legion by others), which would make the AAT overhang the oval base by about an inch at either end.

44 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

FFG so far as stuck entirely to scale, unlike the sliding scale necessitated by Armada. So it could be part of the licence, it could also just be part of their design choices. 

The Occupier tank is 7.5 m in canon and fills the oval. The difference of 2 meters is roughly 2 inches in 1:46 scale (which is what has been calculated for Legion by others), which would make the AAT overhang the oval base by about an inch at either end.

I'd think the bigger problem with an AAT would be width more than length. That big half-saucer section at the bottom would present a more considerable overhang problem as its both a repulsor vehicle (so flight stand) and the back end is actually pretty high off the ground. The sides, because they're so low and far out, would likely present more issues.

Just now, MasterShake2 said:

I'd think the bigger problem with an AAT would be width more than length. That big half-saucer section at the bottom would present a more considerable overhang problem as its both a repulsor vehicle (so flight stand) and the back end is actually pretty high off the ground. The sides, because they're so low and far out, would likely present more issues.

Very true. The Occupier does appear to fill all dimensions of the new oval base, and the AAT on an eyeball (can't find the "official width") seems to be almost as wide as it is tall. Two clear pegs could easily keep the model on the stand, a short one for the front and a longer for the back. Regardless, a circular base large enough for the AAT would be (if I did my math correctly) at least twice the size of the base for the AT-ST, and incredibly hard to move on any terrain, especially as despite being a Repulsor, I doubt the AAT should have Speeder.