chr335

Clone wars factions speculations

So with rumors of legion getting clone wars factions what does everyone think they will look like.

So I will start first. I predict the separatists B1 will be a swarm unit lots of minis in a unit but white attack and defense dice. 

The B2 will be the slow heavy trooper similar to fleet troopers and snowtroopers.

Special forces will be commando droids, destroyer droids and Magna guards

Commanders will be harder but Dooku and Grevious are good starting points (we will probably get stuff from the clone wars cartoon but i didn't watch it much)

The Republic will have clone troopers i imagine red or black attack and red defense.  Not sure what their heavy corp will be

Special forces arc troopers, clone commandos, and not sure the melee special forces (padawans maybe?)

Heavy and support we have lots of stuff from the clone wars cartoon

Commanders: mace windu, anakin, obiwan, yoda (various jedi masters)  commander cody, Rex?

I'd say an official announcement by FFG at a convention is hardly a "rumour," which would be why there are so many threads.

Reposting my thoughts from elsewhere, I'm thinking red defence and black attack dice for Clone Troopers with named Jedi/clone Commander/operatives and probably a generic Clone Commander. AT-RT, some of the other smaller vehicles, AT-TE is about the same size as the AT-AT so are unlikely to see that anytime soon.

CIS: possibly white defence and attack w/o surges, but cheap as chips. Grevious, Duuku, maybe one of the other cartoon antagonists as commanders, possibly generic Droid Commander, Bounty Hunter and maybe Centrist (if she isn't a commander, or maybe she'll be both) as operatives. Probably see STAP, maybe the mini spider droids.

It is definitely my dream that B-1s are like, no surge white attack (the E-5 is historically a bad gun - they give it to droids because they can't burn their hands) and defense, but cheap as heck and maybe even do the suggested 5-6 units base to compensate so maybe a unit of them isn't any cheaper than Rebels directly or something. Also need special droid rules - immune to suppression, but can be ioned plz. As a republic commando fan, I want B-2s to feel like "Super Battle Droids" and really be like monsters who can solo a squad of clone troopers, but I doubt that's the direction they'll go, they'll probably be the alternate Corps unit, and have actual attack and defense dice, probably at the expense of speed. 

Not entirely sure what Republic will do for their second corps - I feel like just Phase I and Phase II are like, a cosmetic redundancy. I'm also very curious what order they will release commanders and operatives in, and how they will be themed and priced, in that recent interview it was noted Rebels aren't as high cost as empire but tend to cluster together, but Empire commanders tend to kind of be high and low. Without jumping to TCW (not only a good source of units but with that final season coming back, good marketing) immediately there are still a LOT of potential commanders for both teams and it's gonna mean a lot of glowbats. 

Also curious about heavy selection. Are we gonna immediately jump to Saber tanks and AATs? Or will FFG try and make an LAAT model work because that's gonna be way more recognizable? 

39 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Also curious about heavy selection. Are we gonna immediately jump to Saber tanks and AATs? Or will FFG try and make an LAAT model work because that's gonna be way more recognizable? 

The LAAT is longer in canon than the ESB AT-AT, so if kept to scale like every other vehicle, it will be too big for existing bases, and huge in the play area.

Yeah, I know. I feel like the numbers are based on faulty reasoning, but I guess that'll depend on if LF licensing lets FFG get away with using the more sensible "Legends" scale (or they just realize somebody probably made an unintentional transposing the same size for /i and /c). While Silhouette isn't an exact science, the RPG did print the LAAT in a size category smaller than the AT-AT and AT-TE. 

Honestly, FFG is gonna have to wrangle with large vehicles sooner rather than later with Clone Wars - a lot of the iconic clone vehicles actually shown on film and TV are pretty swole. Even if it's expensive I bet more people will prefer to buy a juggernaut or AT-TE than like, an AT-AP or even the TX-130 tank.

14 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Not entirely sure what Republic will do for their second corps - I feel like just Phase I and Phase II are like, a cosmetic redundancy. I'm also very curious what order they will release commanders and operatives in, and how they will be themed and priced, in that recent interview it was noted Rebels aren't as high cost as empire but tend to cluster together, but Empire commanders tend to kind of be high and low. Without jumping to TCW (not only a good source of units but with that final season coming back, good marketing) immediately there are still a LOT of potential commanders for both teams and it's gonna mean a lot of glowbats. 

Airborne troopers and Galactic Marines would easily work as alternative Corps units, and Phase I and Phase II could easily be made distinct by their personnel and heavy weapons slots.  Make Phase I much like Stormtroopers, jack of all trades, limited upgrades, while Phase II have a ton of specialized upgrades and personnel options.  Fits how we see them in Episode II and III respectively. 

Clearly, with the vastly superior Droid AI, the B1's will be the pinnacle of elite corps units. The bar, by all units must be measured. They might even have to use a reduced squad size to compensate for how clearly OP a full unit would be.

The vastly inferior mass produced meat bags of the Clone army would obviously be numerous cannon fodder units, acting a little more than glorified terrain pieces.

This message brought to you by Baktoid, the galaxies top supplier of combat droids.

Edited by MasterShake2

While there ARE a multitude of other posts, I shall post the thought I just had here;  What if the b1 didn't have a defense die at all?   Now hear me out.   The b1 was notoriously fragile, but they did travel in large groups.   Lacking a defense die makes them different, and would allow for, perhaps, a few more models in a squad.

We HAVE seen them march headlong into battle heedless of incoming fire.  Being cut down while even more come.   So, lacking a defense die will not be as detrimental.   Also, they CAN, and even more so SHOULD, take cover and dodge actions to reduce damage.    

Let is also theorize that they will also have a white attack die.   With no defense, and the above we could get a unit that has say 6 troopers as a base.  Remove the heavy slot and instead add two trooper slots, or a single trooper upgrade that adds two models.   

We could easily get a seperate squad of super battle droids.  With obvious better stats, but still fragile, say black attack, and white defense.  This IS an improvement, but will likely still be inexpensive.  Make a two team STAP, for support, or my preference, a Droideka.   

Droidekas should be a support, rather than heavy, as there ARE a number of vehicles that will fit. Though, special forces could work I suppose, but I don't see droidekas as being a “trooper”

a good choice for the heavy would be the HMP droid gunship.droid_gunship_20546779.jpeg?region=146,0

This droid is not too large, and as the picture shows, can take on ground troops.  Plus it looks cool.

A hailfire droid could work as well, being an analog for the AT-ST, with the gunship being similar to the t-47, though I do seem to recall the gunship hovering.

Still would like to see 8 man units with options to 10 man with additional squads of battle droids, but white attack die no surge and NO defense dice.   Killing 10 would still take a lot of shooting.  it would feel more horde like as most horde armies don't do armor, just sheer numbers.   courage 1 (we have seen the shows they run just as much as others when no commander is around).  but have droid or some key word to show that suppression isn't as effective on them.  

52 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

No one mentioned younglings yet? It's 2019, people.

they're all grown up.

I do hope they release battle droids in squads of 9-10, so it feels like a swarm.

18 hours ago, buckero0 said:

they're all grown up.

I do hope they release battle droids in squads of 9-10, so it feels like a swarm.

I've got video evidence saying the younglings are  not grown up.  

I do want to run more than 6 battle droids in a corps unit. I don't want to pay a bunch extra for the unit boxes. I don't suppose FFG would split the difference since the SBDs and droidekas will probably come at a reduced pack size.

51 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

I've got video evidence saying the younglings are  not grown up.  

I do want to run more than 6 battle droids in a corps unit. I don't want to pay a bunch extra for the unit boxes. I don't suppose FFG would split the difference since the SBDs and droidekas will probably come at a reduced pack size.

this is beyond my pay grade, but they could also have a larger base size with 3 battle droids to a base (indicating a swarm) and you could fit 3-4 battle droid bases in a unit creating a 12 wound easily wounded swarm that makes it look like tons of droids marching towards you.  I like the white dice for offense and defense idea.  Leaving their vehicles and characters to have the heavier hitting dice. B2 super droids could hit with black dice and the droidekas could get shields and multiple dice. Grievious would be a beast due to multiple light sabers, spider droids, hailfire tanks, etc.

B1 and B2 would be corps

Edited by buckero0

I think all the battle droids should have a keyword that says As long as you are within range 1-3 of a friendly commander, treat your courage value as "-"

That way they don't get the cover bonus from suppression and cant panic as long as they are near a commander.  If they get separated we do see them panic and cower in the Clone Wars show 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:56 PM, Caimheul1313 said:

...AT-TE is about the same size as the AT-AT so are unlikely to see that anytime soon..

Um... no. The AT-TE is close in size to the AT-ST, so we are likely to see it.