Sign in to follow this  
MrTInce

Creating Unique Abilities!

Hello all,

Fellow GMs! I'm sure we all have fun getting creative with strange and unique NPCs. My question is do you ever give them unique or strange abilities that you have generated?

My players have a number of droids (about 12 and they recently lost 2) and to make them distinct from other NPC droids they have unique abilities.

The protocol/chef droid can create food that heals strain once per session.

The Astromech Droid who is now a foreman to the 7 PIT Droids (don't ask) has a Droid Foreman ability to give him bonus die to command his workers.

The other protocol droid is the ship counselor and gets a bonus die when giving therapy. 

I always do this. Dawn of Rebellion is a great source of inspiration for these abilities. One of the NPCs in my current campaign is a makeup and costume artist, so when she makes a Deception check to spruce up a PC, they get to double the social bonuses from their gear for the next 24 hours (e.g., Diplomat's Robes, Performer's Attire, etc.).

Edited by SavageBob

How about for creatures and such? I began a campaign last year where the first session started in media res. The PCs were in and around the ship by a lazy river on a world they were exploring. The NPC scout that hired them came running over a hill toward the ship yelling frantically. Behind him was a mob of gundarks. Roll initiative!

I wanted to beef up the gundarks a bit. I realized the PCs would likely seek immediate safety inside the ship, so I gave the gundarks an extra, special ability that would give the players a bit of concern.

Gundark Rage. Gundarks can damage vehicles and ships by mindlessly attacking them with the great strength and claws. The gundarks make Athletics [I gave them Athletics 1] checks versus a difficulty of the vehicle or ship's Silhouette, upgraded by the Armor value. Successes equal System Strain damage. Two Advantages can be used to cause a Hull Trauma. A Triumph can cause a Critical Hit. Threats can cause Wounds to the gundarks, and a Despair can cause a Critical Injury, as they smash and rend heedless of their own safety.

I hope they have some more info on doing this very thing in Allies and Adversaries! I have always been a fan of NPCs having abilities to surprise the PCs. I loved seeing it in Dawn of Rebellion as well!