AllWingsStandyingBy

How are the other 5 Factions getting Ion Clouds?

Few things in the game have as fundamental an impact as obstacles and obstacle choice when squad-building.  The level of control over that aspect of the game increased dramatically with Wave 5's introduction of debris fields and the TFA Core's new asteroids making overall smaller or lager rock selection possible.

Similarly influential will be the introduction of Ion Clouds, as they appear to have an amazing defensive effect.  Per the Separatist preview article, they appear to function basically like floating autothrusters, letting ships defending behind them convert a blank to a evade... which can offer some amazingly powerful influence onto the battlefield, especially for maneuverable aces that can take advantage of such obstacles more easily. 

Yet, the only way to get these powerful new obstacles chocies if you're a Rebel, Imp, Sum, Resistance, or First Order player is to buy the fairly expensive "starter packs" for the new Republic or Separatist factions (or try to find Sep/Rep players who are buying multiples and unloading the extra obstacle tokens, but they'll likely be hot ticket items on the secondary market).  Surely this wouldn't be a ploy to convince those other faction players to dive into the new factions?  It seems like at least some of these new obstacles could have been included in some of the Wave 4 packs for the other factions, yet they don't appear to have been included.

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

With patience.

How much patience?  They aren't included in the Wave 3 or Wave 4 stuff, and there's no reason to think they'll be in the Wave 5 stuff either.  But even if it were in the Wave 5 content, the other factions are going without for ... what... at least a year?  And if they aren't in Wave 5 stuff... well, who knows how long it'll be.

4 minutes ago, HammerGibbens said:

I hear ya, man. 

Sometimes I suspect FFG is actually trying to make money off of these products. 

Well, then, like they shouldn't have claimed that you wouldn't have to buy out of faction stuff to get options, eh?  It's not like most sane people want to keep up with all seven factions... because who plays that much X-Wing to justify such a collection?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’d like to get 4 of the wave 3 Squadron packs at some point (maybe not right away, depends on funding).

I’m not going to need 4 sets of identical obstacles.

I’m sure I’m not the only one in this situation. Make some friends or check the aftermarket, I’m sure they won’t get too expensive.

22 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

How much patience?  They aren't included in the Wave 3 or Wave 4 stuff, and there's no reason to think they'll be in the Wave 5 stuff either.  But even if it were in the Wave 5 content, the other factions are going without for ... what... at least a year?  And if they aren't in Wave 5 stuff... well, who knows how long it'll be.

Wave V is going to be at least a year after Wave III?  O_o

Just how far apart are the waves?

1 minute ago, outerrimrebel said:

I'm sure it won't be long after they're released and people like Litko or Curled Paw Creatives on Etsy will offer acrylic replacements for them.

Which aren’t legal in official events.

I mean, I wouldn’t ban them at casual games but it is a challenge just like the upgrade cards only found with new factions.

32 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Wave V is going to be at least a year after Wave III?  O_o

Just how far apart are the waves?

I think they're going off of 1.0's release "schedule". If Waves 1-4 are an accurate indicator then the end of the 3rd quarter of this year (so Sept) is when Wave 5 will be out. Right now the planned release cycle is looking like March, June, Sept and Dec. Wave 4 is releasing in Quarter 2. From the Wave 4 article, very end of it:

"Look for the fourth wave of X-Wing expansions at your local retailer in the second quarter of 2019."

1 hour ago, Innese said:

Its a good thing Scum players had a way to get Debris in 1.0... Wait...

Well at least we can all get all Asteroids & Debris in 2.0... Wait...

You're trying to stir up reactions over the usual sort of business.

@Innese I feel your pain.

I was hoping the new core set would have 1 Scum ship in it. 

They could have made the 2.0 starter be X-wing vs Tie Advanced vs Fang.

-All canon

-Close in points

-Most expensive pilots are pretty comparable. Luke vs Vader vs Fenn Rau.

To everyone complaining, deal with it like Scum players have since 1.0

An alternative viewpoint; When I get into a hobby that is not finite at the point of my entry, I accept that to continue to enjoy that hobby as it expands, thus also my investment of time and money in it will have to. Went through this with Dungeons and Dragons for 25 years. Marvel comics. Blood Bowl. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Craft beers. Anyway, you get the point. 

Of all hobbies I've chosen to pursue, none have cost me less to get into and enjoy for what I've paid than X-wing. I've met many great new friends in the various community scene across 3 different cities in Texas. I have no plans ever to buy the prequel factions (I run Scum and Rebels primarily, dabble in the new trilogy factions, have avoided Imperials) but I am 1000 percent confident I will get these new obstacles one way or another. 

I'm even willing to buy them. It's crazy, I know 😁

3 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Non Scum factions are getting Composure this time around. See, they are getting it now.

FFG said you didn't have to buy out of faction. However that doesn't mean you'll get access to it immediately. It's what's happening in Legion.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:52 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Patience - the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Well, then, like they shouldn't have claimed that you wouldn't have to buy out of faction stuff to get options, eh?  It's not like most sane people want to keep up with all seven factions... because who plays that much X-Wing to justify such a collection?

They are under 0 obligation to provide everything now. They said that they will release things across multifactions, they didn't say they would do it by wave 3. They have provided a new obstacle, if you don't want to buy the ships it comes it, that's up to you, but don't be all annoyed that they are still developing expansions for such things to be included in. 

People have a lack of patience and think companies owe them things now. They don't. The rate that FFG are releasing waves is crazy, people are no longer talking about buying all the ships in a wave, but which ones they want to get first. They will come, you just need patience.

@Rexler Brath I am not at all surprised you are confused by this.

Edited by Archangelspiv

As an observation - Separatist players may be especially easy to persuade to part with their gas clouds in favour of a choice of 1.0 original/force awakens core set asteroids, since those inclined to field Vulture Swarms may be interested in a better selection of asteroids (as might Mining Guild TIE swarm players), since their ship ability doesn't interact with the gas cloud.

7 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

FFG said you didn't have to buy out of faction. However that doesn't mean you'll get access to it immediately.

This is a bit of a disingenuous argument, IMO.

I think it's pretty clear that when everyone says they need to buy out of faction to get cards, it's implicit they mean within a short timespan. 

1e Autothrusters is the classic example. It did eventually come in another faction's expansion, 7 waves and nearly 3 years after it debuted in the Star Viper. I think if you were to go back in time and tell Imperial players they just need to be patient if they don't want to buy out of faction to get the upgrades that were competitively mandatory on their TIE Interceptors, and that they only had to wait 3 years, you'd have been laughed out the room. 

If people complain about having to buy out of faction for upgrades, this is what they mean. If you come along - and I'm referring to FFG here - and assert that, this time around, players won't have to buy out of faction, as a response to those criticisms, I think it's absolutely fair for everyone hearing that to assume parity of upgrades within two waves, if not a single wave. 

As of Wave 4, this is now something I am critical of FFG for. I know that means I'm about to be rushed with comments in their defence, but please note I am not mad, or disappointed, or about to boycott X-Wing or something absurd like that. 

FFG promised no more out of faction purchases. They have not delivered on that. I am, as a result, criticising their choices. You may argue about the actual impact of this - certainly no one is as desperate for Composure or Agile Gunner as they were for Autothrusters - but this is simply an argument of principle for me. 

I think @AllWingsStandyingBy makes a very valid point that players of any faction other than the Clone Wars two do not have a direct route to a fairly core new gameplay mechanic, and I agree that it's frustrating when we were effectively told this sort of thing wouldn't happen. And no, Scum not getting debris in 1e doesn't nullify this. Two wrongs don't make a right. 

8 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

FFG said you didn't have to buy out of faction. However that doesn't mean you'll get access to it immediately. It's what's happening in Legion.

The biggest wait in Legion for an upgrade card was a couple months (Improvised Orders, first released in Han pack August vs November for Palpatine). That’s like a single xwing wave of wait time. Most Legion releases are immediate, or at most a month delay because the factions are offset.

We have already seen the next two waves that are forthcoming, and that’s not going to happen for existing factions in xwing. Your comparison is invalid. 

12 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Yet, the only way to get these powerful new obstacles chocies if you're a Rebel, Imp, Sum, Resistance, or First Order player is to buy the fairly expensive "starter packs" for the new Republic or Separatist factions (or try to find Sep/Rep players who are buying multiples and unloading the extra obstacle tokens, but they'll likely be hot ticket items on the secondary market).  Surely this wouldn't be a ploy to convince those other faction players to dive into the new factions?  It seems like at least some of these new obstacles could have been included in some of the Wave 4 packs for the other factions, yet they don't appear to have been included.

If the MSRP of $40 is where you define "Fairly Expensive", you're in the wrong hobby.