AllWingsStandyingBy

How are the other 5 Factions getting Ion Clouds?

Just now, JJ48 said:

Wasn't this thread about X-Wing at one point?

To be fair, it'd drifted to a bit of "Entitled Millennials" bashing before the OP laid out their counterpoint to that. Still, back to the original point of the thread, 2.0 is only a few months old and the only "promises" made involving purchases was a loose one, more of an "our plan is, but some might be unavoidable" really, stating you would not have to buy out of faction to get upgrades. There was no promise for the upgrades to be released at the same time across all factions. There was nothing said nor directly implied about Obstacles in any way that I recall.

I still suggest being patient. If FFG holds to the spirit of that "promise" and applies it to obstacles as well as the planned application to upgrades we should be seeing some way to acquire them without have to make purchases into other factions.

6 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

uhh.... okay.

I suggest you go work in retail or service for a few summers, just so you can truly appreciate how many pathologically entitled 40-60 year-olds there out at there.  Just last week while out to dinner I observed a ~50yo woman go ballistic on some teenage server because "her service was too slow and because she wanted sweet potatoes not regular potatoes (even though the server reminded her that she ordered regular potatoes, but would have been happy to switch them out had the customer asked) and that the only possible solution was to go get the manager and comp everything."  I am highly suspect that there is really as much of a generational predictor for entitlement as you would like to believe, but by all means don't let us interfere with your "get off my lawn you darn kids!" mentality... I agree that the changing world and ageing can be very scary, so whatever assuages your existential dread.

It's not clear to me that anyone thinks that FFG owes us anything unwarranted 'just because WE WANT IT!" (which would be entitlement).   What I've seen in this thread and others is a lot of folks basically saying "huh, it's kind of crummy that FFG implied all these vague things about how their distribution would be different in this new edition, yet looking at the releases for the first year of 2.0, it looks as if nothing about that distribution model has changed in the ways they implied that it would. And that's pretty lame and frustrating."  Expecting an individual and organization to keep the spirit of their word and being disappointed when they do not it is in no way entitlement, I'd argue.  I mean, like, it'd be the same as if your spouse cheated on you, and you were upset about it, and your spouse responded with "MY GOD, YOU ARE SOOOOOO ENTITLED, GET OVER IT YOU BIG BABY!"

Now, apologists have certainly offered some mental gymnastics to show how we can logically interpret the statements offered by FFG in ways that prevents them from having been violated, but as others have pointed out then that renders those promises effectively moot and means the model for 2.0 wasn't, in practice, any different from 1.0, but clearly those claims were offered in a way to indicate that things would be different this time around.

Of course, it doesn't help that there's no complete and exact record of the statements made by a variety of FFG representatives.  It's possible that some of this seeming disconnect between "What FFG seemed to imply" and "how it's is now" may actually be only a disconnect between "what people interpreted and mis-remember FFG saying" and "how it is now."  But until we get a historian who's willing to spend a few afternoons going back through all the Hyperspace Reports, Podcast Interviews, and Live-Stream games from last Spring... well I guess we're all just hoping our respective recollections of events are, for the most part, accurate and fair. 

Regardless, it seems like we can conclude that one year into 2.0, the distribution model of 2.0's upgrades and gaming components doesn't appear to be meaningfully different from 1.0 yet.  And for a lot of customers, that seems to be at odds with the impression they had formed.

I managed and worked retail for 5 years. Thanks for letting me know how customers can be. Customers form groups just like any other, from fantastic to utterly loathesome 

I appreciate the term apologist, as if I am a revisionist or collaborator, benefiting from FFG some how. I am of course neither of these. As I have said repeatedly, we are into wave 3 for 2.0, give the designers a chance to hang themselves. Not only do they have to get two new factions up to balance with five others, but also have to keep bringing out new ships for the current five factions.

people being upset that they don’t have their ion clouds now probably doesn’t rate high on the radar. 

17 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Cheers for assuming my age and offering 0 evidence in your response. Well done. 

You are the one calling people who don't like being screwed over by the corporations "entitled millennials". If four waves is not enough evidence I can't really help you.

1 minute ago, eMeM said:

You are the one calling people who don't like being screwed over by the corporations "entitled millennials". If four waves is not enough evidence I can't really help you.

How are you being screwed over? That is hilarious. If you think that not getting a new obstacle now for a game as being somehow screwed over, then I can only imagine you have led a very sheltered life. 

Wave 4 has not been fully revealed as yet, and you are correct, I very much doubt you can help me. 

4 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

... or on average a wave per two months, three times as frequent as 1.0, which makes the claim that it is the same as 1.0 ludicrous...

🤨 about a 2 month gap between so far, so 1 every 3 months. Other than that, yah.

4 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 about a 2 month gap between so far, so 1 every 3 months. Other than that, yah.

It's the fence post problem. I started with 1 and it's still true because of low numbers, but of course you're right that there's rather an average of 1 per 3 months, plus 1 for the release 5 months ago.

Edited by GreenDragoon
Fence, not goal

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

... or on average a wave per two months, three times as frequent as 1.0, which makes the claim that it is the same as 1.0 ludicrous...

So tell me how is it different.

Wave 1 saw the release of Moldy Crow, an absolutely essential Scum upgrade, not available in any Scum expansion for at least four waves (and when it finally arrives it will likely be in a HWK, breaking the promise about not having to rebuy ships), 12 monts. A year of delay and counting. Of course by pure coincidence every conversion kit of that wave was missing a few cards.

Also in Wave 1, 12 months and counting, Barrage Rockets, Imperial exclusive.

Another interesting consumer-friendly decision is the inclusion of only a single copy of Afterburners (with Autothrusters art, well played FFG) in the Core Set, zero in Conversion Kits, and one in Fang Fighter, which can't even use it. So good luck non-Scum players, and good luck Scum players who don't like to pay 20$ for a card.

Wave 2 brings Force upgrades Hate and Predictive Shot, in Waves 2, 3 and 4 there will be no way for Rebel, Scum, and Imperial players to acqiure it. That's nine months of delay and counting.

Wave 3 ships with a complete game changer, new obstacles, five of the seven factions have to wait at least six months for them, three months for wave four which doesn't have them, and three months more for wave five which is unlikely to have them in five expansions, but at this point, six months later, it doesn't matter because no competitive player will play for half a year at a disadvantage.

I'm sure the trend will continiue and more exclusive cards will be added in Wave 3 and Wave 4.

If for you 9-12 months (assuming every single faction will get every single missing upgrade in Wave 5) is nothing to be concerned about because it's not literally card for card identical pattern as in 1.0, I'm truly at a loss of words.

2 hours ago, eMeM said:

Another interesting consumer-friendly decision is the inclusion of only a single copy of Afterburners (with Autothrusters art, well played FFG) in the Core Set, zero in Conversion Kits, and one in Fang Fighter, which can't even use it. So good luck non-Scum players, and good luck Scum players who don't like to pay 20$ for a card.

Point of order - Fang can use Afterburners.  Not sure why you think it can't.