hothorbust

Luke Eddy Interview with Jay & Kyle from The Fifth Trooper Network

So one thing I took away was that new corps units are on their way?

He said he played with Krennic, deathtroopers E-webs and 6 units he can't say what they are so I am assuming they are corps?

I think we need that in the game now that everything else has gotten fleshed out.

3 hours ago, landoro said:

So one thing I took away was that new corps units are on their way?

He said he played with Krennic, deathtroopers E-webs and 6 units he can't say what they are so I am assuming they are corps?

I think we need that in the game now that everything else has gotten fleshed out.

This was also the big thing that perked my ears up. He may have had one or more unreleased unit types in the list, but at minimum one new corps type was a certainty.

The “can’t say” I took as “there’s been no article for these units yet”. So a minimum of one new corps type. Maybe new other unit types are in there, or maybe he was playing 6x new corps. 

Really interested in the new corps units.  I want to scream "Mudtroopers!" but they don't really fit thematically with Krennic, Deathtroopers, and E-Webs.  Shoretroopers, perhaps?  Then again, they could be testing new units with a variety of keywords to test for combos, and there was no theme.  

Loved the interview and got some good context on the game design.  Why do interviewers never ask the game designers about the T-47?  Have they answered a bunch of questions in the past about it and it's kind of a no-go area now?

I listened to this on my way to work. Really made me appreciate The Legion Outriders. These guys on 5th Trooper were kind of dull. The only one exuding charisma and energy was Luke

40 minutes ago, Prokins said:

Loved the interview and got some good context on the game design.  Why do interviewers never ask the game designers about the T-47?  Have they answered a bunch of questions in the past about it and it's kind of a no-go area now?

I was hoping for that to... it will have been nice to have an answer like: " we are reevaluating the T-47, since no one is playing it"

38 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I listened to this on my way to work. Really made me appreciate The Legion Outriders. These guys on 5th Trooper were kind of dull. The only one exuding charisma and energy was Luke

Ouch.

23 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I’m not trying to be mean, it’s just not my style. 

If we can improve, I would rather hear about it than not.

You are right about Luke though.  He’s awesome and chill.

Edited by Orkimedes

5 hours ago, Prokins said:

Having interviewed them twice, they're REALLY reluctant to talk about anything design related or let you "look behind the curtain".  We (Outriders) have an interview with Luke in this week's episode, and I asked him "Hey, every release has been from the same "property" (Krennic/DTs/Jyn/Pathfinders, for instance) so why'd you go Rebels/Original Trilogy with Bossk and Sabine?"

Luke's Answer.  No comment.  Really.  

They are very, very touchy about talking about design decisions.

3 hours ago, Pooleman said:

I’m not trying to be mean, it’s just not my style. 

Maybe it isn't mean, but it is an unnecessary comment in light of the fact that your complaint is "creative" based and not on anything of substance, like the actual content of the show.

Hey...some casts aren't some people's cup of tea. That's fine.  But dragging them because you don't like their "energy" (after BOTH of them flew across the country, played in/helped officiate LVO for like 12 hours and then busted their *** to not only get an interview, but deal with FFG/Asmodee NA's relatively uptight PR people vis-a-vis what you can ask) seems really petty.

But hey man...Podcasts are easy.  If you don't like their schtick or their energy, feel free to show everyone how it is done.

Edited by Shokupanman

4 minutes ago, Shokupanman said:

Having interviewed them twice, they're REALLY reluctant to talk about anything design related or let you "look behind the curtain".  We (Outriders) have an interview with Luke in this week's episode, and I asked him "Hey, every release has been from the same "property" (Krennic/DTs/Jyn/Pathfinders, for instance) so why'd you go Rebels/Original Trilogy with Bossk and Sabine?"

Interesting.  It seems like Disney (they own the IP now right?) has pretty tight control what they allow FFG to release.  I wonder if that's part of the reason they're so mum about future releases.  I also wonder if that's why we haven't seen other OT characters yet.  I would love to look behind the curtain and see what FFG actually has rights to publish. :)

Which leads me to a small concern re: future releases (somewhat related to the point above).  Luke intimated that they're moving on to more of the "new" content (paraphrasing here).  He mentioned the TV show specifically.  I wonder if that means won't be seeing any more OT content?

Listened to it on youtube, and the sound editing is rather bad, the audio keeps shifting and there's some noise at times. I assume it was done in some side room at LVO?

27 minutes ago, Shokupanman said:

Maybe it isn't mean, but it is an unnecessary comment in light of the fact that your complaint is "creative" based and not on anything of substance, like the actual content of the show.

My general sentiment was to agree with the previous poster. I thought the subject matter was interesting but, at times, the hosts sounded bored and disinterested. This was not consistently the case, but it was so enough to detract from what was otherwise a very good discussion. 

42 minutes ago, Shokupanman said:

Can you please push the point that minor points changes would make this game even more amazing and please don't go down the Xwing 1.0 way of bandaid upgrade cards.

Also the snow trooper ion rifle would have to be simply the worst games design thing I have ever seen In 20 years of gaming lol

1 hour ago, costi said:

Listened to it on youtube, and the sound editing is rather bad, the audio keeps shifting and there's some noise at times. I assume it was done in some side room at LVO?

Basically - both the pod casters were leaving Vegas like the hour after the cast, and Jay could only bring so much of his set-up. Normally his podcast is very professional :)

Listen, microphones are hard. 

I'd ask them to hopefully improve sound quality in future if they're gonna do more interviews like this - but also investing in a mobile setup can take some money and luggage space. 

5 hours ago, Shokupanman said:

Hey...some casts aren't some people's cup of tea. That's fine.  But dragging them because you don't like their "energy" (after BOTH of them flew across the country, played in/helped officiate LVO for like 12 hours and then busted their *** to not only get an interview, but deal with FFG/Asmodee NA's relatively uptight PR people vis-a-vis what you can ask) seems really petty.

But hey man...Podcasts are easy.  If you don't like their schtick or their energy, feel free to show everyone how it is done.

Maybe I will. Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for posting.

re Pooleman - I understand what you are saying, but I prefer this style to some other casts that are more “in your face” and can’t stand ones that are full of in-jokes and very “local”. That said I find outriders to be good too. 

For 5th trooper guys, thanks - for constructive criticism :

the main host (forget his name): you frequently are self-depricating. A bit too much. Most casts you will say once or twice “I’m not that bright, but I think...” it’s not needed and detracts from the message. The fact we are listening means we are interested in what you have to say - even if you aren’t the best player in US. 🙂

I’m not sure what your intent is with the cast, but you have a global audience (I live in Hong Kong). Occasionally content is a little too skewed to US players / events / meta... I realise you can only discuss what you know, but worth considering. 

Re content I find there is a lot of discussion on lists etc,  it no real content (on any cast) about tactics. Best I have heard is from a UK one talking about move and shoot with rebels rather than aim and shoot (incl pro-con etc). I found that type of content very interesting more so than “I ran veers, shot people, won”

Thanks - and keep up the content.

As for this episode: I enjoyed it, fully understand the games designers issue of not being able to say too much on certain topics (got to love NDAs), also understand minor audio issues. 

15 hours ago, Shokupanman said:

15 hours ago, Prokins said:

Interesting.  It seems like Disney (they own the IP now right?) has pretty tight control what they allow FFG to release. 

That's exactly what that sounds like.  Without going all "conspiracy theorist" it sounds like the decision to include one if not both of these characters came from "on high," and the design team may or may not be 100% happy about that.  The cynic in me wants to say that Sabine was mandated since she's Disney's Golden Girl, but it easily could have been Bossk because he's "that lizard dude from the OT, so fans will love him!"